Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 271 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    I hear you, but DS7 just can't do that sort of timed test yet. He will have to eventually. But for now it just stresses him out. He actually works faster *without* the time pressure, since he doesn't get panicky and lose focus. It's weird, but it's how he is.

I just remind myself that your average 7yo would not be good at timed math tests either. We'll ease into it, and when he's 9, we'll be giving timed tests. But it's a weakness we must cultivate.

Kriston, I keep forgetting that it was something we had to cultivate; at 7 I don't think GS would do it either. Thanks for your post.

Hey, thanks for yours! smile

I do think it gets easier as they get older, so I try not to worry about it too much. Baby steps! laugh

Kriston
    Although I am not consistant, we use a mix. I add some new things if DS6 works on some of the things he dosn't like. I also just started some timed work sheets, easy quick 3 minute type. His goal now is to do 50 addition mixed single didgit with carry over in under 3 min. Almost there 3 min 8 seconds. In the future we will do the same for subtraction, mult, div. We still however learn some new things like double digit mult, fractions, etc. It dosn't always work. Pushing to show work has been fun, now that he is missing some answers, 4 digit addition, subtraction with carry over requires him to write things down and do it neatly, or he can get the wrong answer. The same with two step problems or, double multiplacation. I think he is starting to get that writting it down takes time, but it beats doing it again. No easy answer. I also use his DS as a reward at times. 30 min math, or 30 min reading gets him 30 min Nintendo DS. (This may be bad, but the first time we did it he read for 4 hours) So much for reading for reading sake.

Last edited by Edwin; 09/18/08 08:38 AM.
    how about subtracting negative numbers?

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Try using other number bases?

Binary, Octal, Hex?

I hate to sound like a broken record on this one, but I have to refer to that Developing Math Talent book by Susan Assouline. This issue is one of the myths and issues discussed at length in the book. GT kids are NOT necessarily good at memorization of math facts. Mathematically gifted kids want concepts. They want to see the connections, the big picture and the patterns. How much is left when you take 6 away from 13 is just not interesting!!!!!

Many mathematically gifted kids are horrible at timed tests in math. It isn't math. It's memorization. Use some of the links from Hoagies' math pages to find the quick tricks and patterns for learning patterns in math facts. There's links to sites that help make memorization more fun, especially for multiplication.
    http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/math.htm

Here's a nice article that explains why it *is* important to eventually memorize math facts:
    http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/why_memorize.htm

But most GT kids need to be allowed to move on while still working on those math facts. My son is working 3 grade levels above his chronological age/grade level in math but still a little slow with math facts. Yet he was relishing his homework last night as he worked with mixed fractions, simple algebraic equations and probability questions. Don't hold them back on the math facts. Just keep working on them as you move along.

And, BTW, one reason my son did horribly on the timed tests at first was because he kept stopping to erase and have his answers written perfectly - not because he'd gotten it wrong! Once we told him to just write and go on to the next one he got much faster!

Sing it, sister! Go, Debbie!!! If you're a broken record, it's a good recording. laugh

BTW, I like this line from Aimee Yermish's article:

We have to teach our kids the difference between being bored because you are being taught something you have already mastered and being bored because the work is intrinsically boring but still important.

The only thing I would add to that, in relation to this discussion, is that we need to recognize when the problem the child is having is boredom and when it's lack of preparedness for the memorization. Two very different issues, handled in two very different ways!

But good stuff! Thanks for posting the links.

Kriston
    Just thought of another thing that helped GS get through the drills last year. I compared doing math drills to how athletes do physical drills until a move is second nature to them. I told him he was strengthening his brain just like an athlete strengthens his legs by running the steps. He bought into it, so it worked for him.

That's brilliant, Oma, I like that. I think I'm gonna use that one, along with: That which does not kill you makes you stronger! smile

Kidding aside, that's a good way to approach it and a good way to explain it to a kid who needs to buy into doing things that are not their fav....

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM