Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 275 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I'd like to give DD's new teacher some info from the assessments she had last year due to writing/spelling issues. Last year's teacher wasn't even interested in looking at it. I'm wondering if I approached the topic the wrong way...

Anyway, should I give the new teacher a copy of the whole report (15pgs) or should I just copy certain sections? Which ones?

I already talked to the teacher about DD's issues with spelling and explained what we are doing at home to help her. I am thinking I may want to ask for some classroom accommodations later in the year, so I want to give the teacher time to digest this information before I start asking for things.

I would probably give her the full record and highlight the relevant sections, unless there is something you don't want her to know.

LMom
    Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    There is some medical information in there that's not really relevant. Would it look weird to black part of it out?

She may find it offending. In that case I would give her only the relevant pages and probably still highlight the info. You can always tell her that the report has 15 pages and you didn't want her to spend her time reading through pages of information which is not really relevant.

LMom
    Q
    Q
    Could you ask the psych for a redacted report for the school that does not include sensitive, medical info - or whatever it is that concerns you? All he or she has to do is rerun it without the private info. It will still be a comprehensive, accurate report for educational purposes. I agree, if you black something out, they'll spend their time wondering what was in there.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by LMom
    She may find it offending. In that case I would give her only the relevant pages and probably still highlight the info. You can always tell her that the report has 15 pages and you didn't want her to spend her time reading through pages of information which is not really relevant.

I agree with LMom here.

If the medical information is on the same page as relevant information, you could photocopy it out by covering the medical stuff with a piece paper and making a copy. If you arrange it right, for all she'll know, the page was just blank.

The teacher will probably be grateful for not getting 15 pages of extra reading work.

Val

Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks for the ideas, everyone. At least she seems more receptive than last year's teacher. I'm taking that as a good sign.

Cathy,
    I've never had any luck with that endeavor.
    Perhaps if you can write up a one page list of examples of what your child can do, and ways to help your child do more, you may get somewhere.

If there is any other way to direct your efforts on behalf of your daughter - take that other way.

I hope I'm wrong here, but I think this is one of those "the world goes as it will, not as you or I would have it" situations.
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    I've never had any luck with that endeavor.

Any speculations as to why? I'm hoping to avoid pitfalls...

Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    Cathy, our situation is slightly different in that DD11 has been on an IEP (2E) for a few years now, but I did just write up an "intro" letter for her new teachers that I've cut and pasted in a PM to you for ideas. It's more of a "summary" approach. If you do something like that, in your case, I'd suggest offering the full report if they are interested, but only sharing highlighted info at this time.

Thank you, Dottie.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM