Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    C
    CAMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Brief update-

We had Back to School Night and got a full preview of the curriculum for the year. Probably needless to say, they *may* get to some things in May that DS doesn't already know. Though by May, he will probably already know them. And that's just in science.

I was particularly put off by the idea that their version of differentiation is happening during "free choice" time. As in, since DS can already read- he can choose a book during "free choice". But he still has to sit through the intro to phonics lesson in the morning. And my kid will never choose a book over legos. It's just not going to happen.

We're going to schedule a meeting with the principal. I don't see any signs that his teacher is willing to work with us or do anything different. So this meeting will be more of a philosophy check. I want to see specific examples of when and how they've worked with other kids and what their plan is for HG+ kids. If they can't show us, we'll be looking at other options for probably 2nd grade and beyond. The 1st grade teacher already knows what she's going to have and is very excited to work with him next year. Unfortunately, I stumbled across a school policy that the do not allow grade skips because they're so good at differentiating within the classroom. So 1st grade is probably out for this year...

Ugh. I'm sorry. frown

Kriston
    S
    S
    Oh, bummer. I'm sorry to hear it. And I wish I had soothing and reassuring words for you.

I find over and over words that mean one thing to parent-ears mean something totally different when coming out of school-mouths.

You example of 'Differentiation' fits.

I'm really glad that the first grade teacher 'gets' your son, because thats an amazing experience. Don't give up on the gradeskip idea just because there is policy. My son's 4th grade summer camp also had a 'no gameboy' policy and that had no relationship to the number of campers who brought gameboys to camp!

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    Don't give up on the gradeskip idea just because there is policy.

I was going to say the same thing! Maybe it's time for them to revisit their policy... wink

I agree with Grinity and Cathy. It seems that in my public school system, "policy" really means "preference" -- it just sounds more final. I was also informed that acceleration was against district policy, but we ended up with a much needed grade skip. Obviously, your private school may operate very differently -- I just wanted to illustrate the fact that sometimes it is hard to know what school lingo *really* means.

Maybe they'd like a nice copy of the current studies re: acceleration. You know, for their policy review smile Because you know a great school like this always likes to keep abreast of current educational best-practices. Parents of prospective students love schools that are up-to-date.

A Nation Deceived

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by CAMom
    We're going to schedule a meeting with the principal. I don't see any signs that his teacher is willing to work with us or do anything different. So this meeting will be more of a philosophy check. I want to see specific examples of when and how they've worked with other kids and what their plan is for HG+ kids.

I think a lot of teachers/principals get dazed and confused regarding HG+ kids (honestly, probably even MG kids). The impression I have is that being able to learn that much, that fast, is, well, kind of...I don't know, surprising/shocking? Sense-defying? Does anyone have a better word? I'm wondering if the teachers don't know what to do, and maybe if they even shut down a bit.

From our perspective, what these kids do is normal. We learned fast it as parents, just as our kids do. It's normal. We post on this board and hear other people talk about their kids doing the same kind of stuff. It's normal --- for US.

It's easy to forget how different you can be in certain ways when you're so much like everyone else in so many other ways. Highly intelligent people still have the same tastes in movies or music or clothes or cars or whatever that many, many other people have. We forget to use our turn signals occasionally, lose things occasionally, etc. etc. just like others. The differences are on the inside and aren't obvious the way they are with HG+ athletes.

Teachers work with many bright students, but the workings of a HG mind are probably a mystery unless the teacher is MG+. So maybe we need to be more forthright about saying "Here's how my child's mind works...s/he does better at a faster pace, not a slower one...getting overly hung up details before allowing new learning is detrimental...needs very little in the way of explanation....etc. etc.

Val

C
    CAMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Val-
    You're totally right. I had the hardest time trying to explain to his teacher that he is SOOO good at understanding directions that not only does he understand what's being asked of him the first time, but that he predicted halfway through her explanation what was being asked and already decided whether or not he would comply- before she even finished. So when she launches into the 2nd round of the directions for those that didn't get it the first time- he's already moved on to another task. She thought that was funny and said that in her 21 years of teaching, she always has to repeat directions 3x. I'm thinking to myself "Maybe you should talk a little less... and DO a little more..." but that's just my own HG brain getting annoyed!

Cathy-
    Oh how I would love to hand the teacher a copy of Nation Deceived. Our psych gave me a copy of a handout called "Differentiating for the HG child in the classroom" and also suggested I share it with the teacher. I'm just concerned based on her personality of one of two things 1)retaliation and over-observation of my son's behaviors or 2) Try it once, it didn't work so dismiss it all together.

Everyone-
    We're not done with this school yet! Really, we're talking about 2.5 hours out of a 7 hour day that is not meeting DS's needs. The other hours are perfect and he's in heaven over them. I don't want to throw that all away. But I don't want to have this same battle once or twice a year for the next 12 years either...

Thanks for all your suggestions and support. I'm so happy I found this board where we are understood!

Here's how we used A Nation Deceived:

I had a private meeting with the principal where I brought up my concerns about DS and the option of having him skip 1st. She told me her objections (the usual objections) and I just listened. I didn't argue with her. The next week, I talked to her again and I said that I had thought about the points she brought up and I had done some research on it and that studies show that we should not let (insert the usual objections) prevent us from considering acceleration. Then I gave her A Nation Deceived.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM