Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 387 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #25938 09/15/08 12:12 PM
    C
    cym Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Tonight is the board meeting for our charter school & I was planning to thank the principal and board pres for being so supportive of my 6th grade DS (modifying almost every class for him).

But--I wanted to get your opinions about whether to keep it to that or say something else that's been nagging at me. Several of DS's PEGS classmates went on to the charter school with him and for the 1st time in the school there's maybe 8 in the class of 20. I hear the teachers & principal remarking about how awful the class is--behavior, mostly, but also work ethic. I have already talked to the principal that this is all new to them, they've never switched classes before, and they're assigned huge amounts of homework and big projects. My son is able to keep up. He's fine. There are others who have really struggled. When they miss deadlines, they get 0's and 3 zeros mean they stay for Saturday school. The first Saturday school was 8 days after school started! It's not an issue for my family (until we'd have to go), but philosophically I have an objection to no grace period for new 6th graders. It seems "militaristic" as one mom said. The other thing that makes me mad is that there is often a comment made like, "..and the PEGS kids are the ones who aren't doing their work". Part of me feels I should speak up for them. I want the staff to understand that they are "special needs" kids and just because they have high IQs doesn't automatically make them great students. Should I say something, or keep my mouth shut because it's not my kids and their moms/dads should speak for them?

cym #25940 09/15/08 12:31 PM
    I would not say anything about the Saturday school issue. I think you have a good point but I think that those other kids' parents should be the ones to bring it up.

Cathy A #25941 09/15/08 12:40 PM
    E
    E
    I am not super experienced in these situations but what would it help if you brought it up and what would it hurt?

It might help the board/staff to hear the observation if it is from a "neutral" party. ( A mom whose kid is not in the Saturday school.

On the other hand, maybe you don't want to "rock the boat" if there is no direct benefit to you or your child and the school folks might then see you as someone who is butting in on an issue that is not your concern...

Maybe a compromise would be to say something, but just say it in a different forum. You have already spoken to the principal. Maybe you can talk to one of Sat. school parents privately and encourage them to step forward. Let them know you support them...

just some thoughts...

Good luck, EW

EastnWest #25943 09/15/08 01:52 PM
    C
    cym Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Thanks Cathy A & EW. Sometimes I feel compelled to voice my opinion when it's not really necessary.

Dottie #25946 09/15/08 03:09 PM
    Middle school is a whole different animal from elementary school. Here too, it seems to be all about organization and obeying. It think it's wonderful that they are being 'take charge' about expecting the kids to come on Saturdays if they aren't doing the work during the week. Consequences - Yippee!

I think that the last thing a kid needs is to be excused 'because they are gifted.' And the 'consequence' spending time in school undersupervision is natural and logical - it's not as if they have to write 100 times, "I will do my homework.' In other words, it doesn't suprise me to hear about a group of gifted kids who have just been coasting along suddenly realizing that a lot more is required of them. Better now than when they are off on their own in college.

A lot of teachers put thought into their homework assignments and genuinly believe that if the students do the work before class, they will have a more meaningful experience during class.

All this is assuming that the homework isn't awful busy work just for the sake of keeping the kids chained to their desk afterschool. Since the school has differentiated for your kid, that gives me hope that they aren't missing the LOG boat for the others.

As a parent, I would be cheering wildly if someone took my son's development of work ethic as seriously as I do, and not just saying "Oh he's smart, that will get him through." Just think how proud these kids will be in a few weeks or months when they see that they school means business, and they start showing up for class with their work completed.

There is such a thing as all the teachers independently assigning big projects on the same day, and the school will probably be amenable to dealing with that if enough parents complain. There is also such a thing as teaching the children how to break down the big projects into managable steps, and that's a good thing too. I also like it if teachers post on Friday's what the week's homework will be, so that the slower ones can get a jumpstart over the weekend. I don't know what is 'a huge amount' of homework, but I know 4th graders who spent 45 minutes Monday through Thursday.

You've already voiced your opinion, I would reccomend that you not step into this at this time. Of course it's always good to encourage parents to share their concerns with administration instead of you, but I would be a little skeptial if they try to draw you in to their lament.

So glad to hear that your kids is being accomdated - Yippee!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Dottie #25948 09/15/08 03:25 PM
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    I agree, sometimes I find myself really biting my tongue for things that affect my own children, if I think they are "minor leaguers". I do think you have to keep that "choose your battle" mentality in your head all the times with kids that have more than their fair share of battles (ie, any GT child!) If the battle doesn't even affect your child....I'd definitely cheer any fighters from a distant sideline, whistle .

I just had to bite my tongue this morning. DD brought her yearbook and I was looking through it. The regular classes were labeled like this:

Mrs. So-and-so's 3rd Grade Class

The special ed classes were labeled like this:

Mrs. Whatsername's 2nd/3rd Grade Special Day Class.

There was also

Mr. Whatchamacallit's 5th/6th GATE Combo Class.

Why in the world do they feel the need to point out that it's a special ed class or a GATE class? It's just a yearbook. We can't put down our labels for the freaking yearbook?

Anyway. I'll stop ranting now.

Cathy A #25951 09/15/08 04:23 PM
    CathyA - that does seem odd and totally unnecessary.

Dazed&Confuzed #25954 09/15/08 04:59 PM
    Cym, are you feeling there's an 'us against them' attitude from the parents of the non-PEG kids towards the PEG kids? If so, are their kids also doing it?

Dottie #26048 09/17/08 05:20 AM
    C
    cym Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Hi Grinity,

I like the ideas of independence, responsibility, consequences that you speak of. The school does a good job--I just had never seen it dig in right away with the new 6th graders like this year.

It's ok--I kept my mouth shut, though another woman on the board had been called with complaints and voiced her concern. The one thing that came out was that the real trouble makers were a couple kids, not PEGS, who are behavior issues. The principal addressed the big projects with the Master Calendar (so projects don't overlap) It always boils down to the 2-3 problem kids. They'll either figure it out and become good students, or they'll leave the school and go to the public middle school.

cym #26058 09/17/08 08:37 AM
    Thanks Cym,
    I was begining to think that I'm going to have to learn to spell 'loveable but curmudgeonly' and affix it permanently to my name.

I'm glad that the complains centered on kids who aren't PEGS, isn't it weird how the most noticeable group always gets the blame pinned on them fist, but thankfully it often doesn't stick.

I think a Master Calendar is a great idea. I've seen it work, and also seen it not work, but at least there is an effort being made. I'm so glad that your kids are at a school where being a good student is a requirement to attend. How cool is that?

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM