Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 245 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #25980 09/16/08 08:43 AM
    X
    OP Offline
    X
    One moment I feel there is a huge urgency to work things out for my ds and his acadmics. I keep thinking it has almost been a month since school started if I want a grade skip I better intitiate it now. Then the other side of me says slow down and research because he has been ahead of the curve since preschool anyway and doesn't seem worse for it, so I have some time to figure it all out. Which one is right?

*update on our situation* There is a GATE meeting this evening for my 10 year old dd and her GATE classes. I don't think GATE will be a viable solution for my 6 year old ds since a pull out program every 2 weeks isn't going to address his acelerated acadmics. Was the gifted coordinator at your child's school involved with your child's academic decisions?

Hi XOXO,
    My guess is that sometimes urgency is justified and sometimes just a side effect of our own overexcitabilities. Sit down and write out the 'whys' under your feelings. Spending time observing in both your son's classroom and possible target classrooms may help you become more clear about your feelings.

Mid year gradeskips can be lovely, particularly in the early elementary years. After the holiday break it can make for a nice change. Also - since you don't have the gradeskip yet, you may as well evaluate the teacher, as a gem almost always overules a skip.

LOG, level of giftedness, supports your observation that some gifted children are well accomidated with pull out programs, and some are left hanging by them. LOG is sort of a 'new' concept, but here, we 'get' it.

I don't think it is too soon to put, in writing (not email) a request for an evaluation of your son with an eye towards a gradeskip. Even if you ultimatly decide that it isn't the right thing to do, other accomidations, such as subject accelerations, might come from it.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

P.S. We have neither GATE classes nor GATE coordinators.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    we have ONE gate coordinator for the entire district. It's a small sized urban city.

yeah...... involvled in my son's eduction....hmmmmmmmmmmmm, not quite.

There is no GATE coordinator at our school. I negotiated the gradeskip with the principal.

X
    OP Offline
    X
    Thanks everyone. I will type up a letter today to initiate the evaluation. I was afraid a mid year grade skip would be detrimental. Since my son's current 1st grade teacher will be leaving for maternity leave right at holiday break this might be the answer to our concerns. I would also feel reassured if we could take this at a slower pace and observe the grade skip class and teacher.

Side note: The GATE program and teacher seem like a great fit for my 10 year old dd. She is very excited.

Perfect! Your son and the teacher can 'transition' together!

DS did a midyear skip last year. I wasn't sure about it, but since the school offered it we decided to give it a try. It turned out to be fine smile

X
    OP Offline
    X
    Silly question. blush I am working on a portfolio of ds's work with studies advocating grade skip, subject acceleration, etc and just finished my letter requesting evaluation but who do I address this too? The principal? Should I request a meeting?

To the Principal and the Gifted Coordinator. Keep the request short and sweet, save the portfolio for the meeting. Don't request a meeting - you'll have more of those than you want.

Something like:
    DS is acting sadness and tears up on Sundays when I mention that tommorow is a school day. I believe that he is incorrectly placed in the 1st grade and would be happier in the 2nd grade. Please start the process for correcting this situation.

Try to keep it that short, although I'd love a better phrase than 'incorrectly placed.' What I ended up saying, was, "DS has been 'in need' of a grade skip for many year, but now we are really in trouble.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

"Not well served by his current grade placement?"

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs