Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    I will be prepared if they want to wait. I have accepted that. And, about my son waiting until October...I haven't even told him anything.

What should I tell him? And, do you suggest I wait until the day before the meeting to tell him about the meeting? How do I prep him?

Also, when & how do you talk to your kids about their giftedness? I haven't done that yet...

Sorry, I'm confused about your October meeting. Why is your son attending the meeting?

F
    OP Offline
    F
    Oh...maybe he is not. His teacher told me this morning that she is to meet with the others involved on 10/9. I assume I should be there and maybe or maybe not my son. I will find out more soon.

T
    T
    This is the actual law for Florida and at no point is there a grade or age level. This was instituted to make Florida in compliance with Federal American's with Disabilities Act requirements for education.

6A-6.03019 Special Instructional Programs for Students who are Gifted.
    (1) Gifted. One who has superior intellectual development and is capable of high performance.
    (2) Criteria for eligibility. A student is eligible for special instructional programs for the gifted if the student meets the criteria under paragraph (2)(a) or (b) of this rule.
    (a) The student demonstrates:
    1. Need for a special program.
    2. A majority of characteristics of gifted students according to a standard scale or checklist, and
    3. Superior intellectual development as measured by an intelligence quotient of two (2) standard deviations or more above the mean on an individually administered standardized test of intelligence.
    (b) The student is a member of an under-represented group and meets the criteria specified in an approved school district plan for increasing the participation of under-represented groups in programs for gifted students.
    1. For the purpose of this rule, under-represented groups are defined as groups:
    a. Who are limited English proficient, or
    b. Who are from a low socio-economic status family.
    2. The Department of Education is authorized to approve school district plans for increasing the participation of students from under-represented groups in special instructional programs for the gifted, provided these plans include the following:
    a. A district goal to increase the percent of students from under-represented groups in programs for the gifted and the current status of the district in regard to that goal;
    b. Screening and referral procedures which will be used to increase the number of these students referred for evaluation;
    c. Criteria for determining eligibility based on the student�s demonstrated ability or potential in specific areas of leadership, motivation, academic performance, and creativity;
    d. Student evaluation procedures, including the identification of the measurement instruments to be used;
    e. Instructional program modifications or adaptations to ensure successful and continued participation of students from under-represented groups in the existing instructional program for gifted students;
    f. An evaluation design which addresses evaluation of progress toward the district�s goal for increasing participation by students from under-represented groups.
    (3) Procedures for student evaluation. The minimum evaluations for determining eligibility are the following:
    (a) Need for a special instructional program,
    (b) Characteristics of the gifted,
    (c) Intellectual development, and
    (d) May include those evaluation procedures specified in an approved district plan to increase the participation of students from under-represented groups in programs for the gifted.
    (4) This rule shall take effect July 1, 1977.
    Specific Authority 1001.42(4)(1), 1003.57 FS. Law Implemented 1000.01, 1001.42(4)(1), 1003.57(5), FS. History�New 7-1-77, Formerly 6A-6.3019, Amended 10-10-91, 5-19-98, 7-14-02.

They don't test until 3rd where we are either unless requested by parent or recommended by teacher.
    I wanted to mention that, at least in our area, this means no services until 4th grade!! That is a long time to wait if you are already wondering about things in k or 1st.

Maybe this is obvious, but I really thought, 'oh, they'll test in 3rd and a month later the kids will be in some kind of special class'. Whoops! They have a lot of kids to assess at that point I guess. Anyway, we went ahead and requested testing in early 2nd because ds was showing signs of real unhappiness.

He just had his first pull-out class of the year yesterday and was just sooooo stoked about the things they had done. So far so good!

Hey Chris!
    A good begining is good. So glad your son had a good time. It amazes me what a great difference even a little improvement makes in a child's outlook.
    Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    This late testing business is kind of scary to me, because I'm thinking that I read somewhere that the brain's best learning abilities start closing up around 8, and if your kid's giftedness isn't addressed before then, there may be many lost opportunities. But I cannot remember the source, John Ratey maybe? Any brain research gurus out there?

Afterthought - so, anyone here on this board who's school doesn't have testing until third -- advocate! advocate! advocate! And if it doesn't work, make sure your child at least gets to learn something by afterschooling or other outside of school activities, or partial or full homeschooling. My .02 for the day.

Last edited by st pauli girl; 09/19/08 10:45 AM.
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM