Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    The school board had said they were going to get all parties together for our meeting. (I posted about it last week) Now, after I have spoken with the school psychologist, principal, teachers, they said they don't test until 3rd grade. That is fine, but why have me make all these calls, get the run-around from the school, etc, just to tell me they don't test until 3rd grade.

Wouldn't it have been more efficient if the 1st person I spoke to told me they don't test until 3rd grade?

I am just venting. I have encountered such disorganization & misinformation with this school district.

Has anyone else gone through this? And, is the not testing until 3rd grade standard in all states? Or just Florida?

Thanks
    Jen

normally they say that iq tests shouldn't be given before 8 years old.... not sure why?

That being said, they tested my son when he was 5. We live in NY state. They can't call him gifted in our district until he is in 4th grade. But, because if they didn't give him enrichment he would sit and do nothing, he is getting enrichment. Only because the teachers and the principal are going out of there way to make it happen.

Last edited by ienjoysoup; 09/16/08 06:54 AM.
    Hi Floridamom,

Our school in Ohio tests everyone in 3rd grade. But they routinely test individuals if a teacher recommends it. The teacher recommendations can start as young as kindergarten. It is a bit of a joke here, though, to have a first grader in the gifted program, since they don't provide any additional services until 3rd grade. So after going through all the tests, paperwork, and emotional strain in order to get our son into the gifted program, nothing different occurred. We had a nice piece of paper that said congratulations on being accepted to the gifted program, but no extra services were provided until the rest of the pack was tested in 3rd grade.

The school did provide pullout reading programs in 1st grade (20 min. per week), and pullout reading and math in 2nd grade (40 minutes per week). But they were based on teacher recommendations and not on test scores, which my son would have had without all the testing. In fact, the school sat on the testing results (DS hit the ceiling hard on the Cog At and scored grade levels higher than his present grade on the Iowa Basic Skills Tests) and never thought that maybe this kid needed to be accelerated by a grade???? Things did not improve until DS's second grade teacher decided that he should not be in second grade.

I don't want to depress you, Floridamom. But if you want to fight for testing (and I think you probably should), then at least make sure that the school will use those test results to address educational concerns. We made the mistake of assuming that the school would look at the test results and use them in some appropriate matter.

It sounds to me that your school is throwing up road blocks in order to make most parents give up if gifted services are hard to come by. And schools do run into a great many parents who believe that their little prince or princess is gifted. The difference is that: 1) Most MG parents are relatively happy with what is being provided in the school and are willing to wait until 3rd grade, and 2) The school assumes that they are doing a great job keeping the majority of the kids challenged. The problem seems to occur when your child is so far outside of the normal distribution that the school does not recognize that a problem exists. In this case, I think, it takes some time for the school to recognize how different your child is. But the only way they see that is either though testing or by having a teacher strongly advocate for you. For us, it took the latter.

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    Thanks everyone. DS6 is in a private school, which is good about subject acceleration. His teacher is great, although it has only been a few weeks. The question she asked me the other day, "Why do you want to have him tested?" I was a bit stumped. I mean, I am now asking myself the same question. What actually changes after your child has been tested & is identified as "gifted"? I know & you all know that these children have special needs, but what really changes with their education? What are the special services that he is entitled to? I guess this is where I am not informed.

Also, the teached did mention that it is alot of work for her once we decide to go ahead with testing. She said they give her a huge packet & she must spend alot of time observing him & then filling out these forms regarding his behavior, etc. She said it is alot of work & if I knew he was gifted, why did I need a peice of paper?

So, after all this, my main question to all of you is...

What changes when he is identified as gifted by this test?
    What benefits will he get from this peice of paper?

Thanks
    Jen

Originally Posted by floridamom
    What changes when he is identified as gifted by this test?
    What benefits will he get from this peice of paper?

Thanks
    Jen
    Hi Jen,
    It's great that you are asking yourself these questions. It doesn't sound like any changes will take place bases on the designation, but perhaps it would protect you if you wanted to consider a switch to public school in the future.

For example: Lets say that a new boy moves to your son's school, and decides he wants to bully your son. Everything you try to get the school to end the behavior fails. You request that the boys be seperated next year. The school is small and can't comply. You might be ready to try the public school. If you have the paperwork, then you can at least talk to the public schools and see what they offer.

For example: For reasons totally beyond your control, you have to move far enough away that a change in school is nescessary. If you have the paperwork, and some idea of LOG, you have a head start in trying to find a new school, and you have some idea of how much of a priority to make finding a school that will truly meet your son's needs.

But there is no national policy, or even theoretical agreement on the following:
    'what is gifted'
    'what kinds of gifted are there'
    'what must we do for gifted'

none
    zero
    ziltch

So, you may want to thank your stars for the school's flexibility and drop the matter.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Floridamom,
    Yes, in Florida the school district MUST test if there is a need starting in K.
    I faced similar foot dragging for both of my kids who were tested. But in the end they must test if your child meets certain criteria including strong recommendation from his teacher, a checklist of gifted characteristics and score of 99% on the SAT-10. Every school district has a diff process so find out what you need to do to qualify for the IQ test.
    Florida has a gifted mandate to identify and offer services to gifted children from K through 12. It does not matter what services your particular school offers or what age they start their gifted program.
    And it really doesn't matter if it creates more paperwork for the teacher or what you will do with the information down the line.
    Have you checked out the fldoe site?
    http://www.fldoe.org/BII/Gifted_Ed/

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by floridamom
    The question she asked me the other day, "Why do you want to have him tested?"

Also, the teached did mention that it is alot of work for her once we decide to go ahead with testing. She said they give her a huge packet & she must spend alot of time observing him & then filling out these forms regarding his behavior, etc. She said it is alot of work & if I knew he was gifted, why did I need a peice of paper?

Allow me to vent a bit, but as a so-called professional in her field, she should know the answer to these questions. That she doesn't is a clue to you that you'll have to find a way to dance around her ignorance and educate her about her own field in a way that doesn't make her feel ignorant.

Sorry, but I can't imagine a special ed. teacher saying something this rude about a kid with an IQ of 65. Americans are getting good at discriminating against intelligent people. <end of rant>

I guess I recommend that you explain that the piece of paper isn't the point. Your son learns faster than most other students and he may not be challenged at his current level. Sustained lack of challenge can lead to poor study skills and students who later shut down/don't try when they finally take classes that aren't easy for them and they don't "get" something immediately. This can lead to underachievement.

The ease of early learning can lead to a mistaken belief that everything should come easily. This can be problematic when a student hits a subject that requires focused thought when something is not immediately understandable and sustained practice --- two vital skills that aren't learned when everything comes easily. I believe that students in this situation can decide that the subject is just too hard or "I'm not as good at it/smart as those other kids who do better than I do." These kids just don't have a concept of having to go and really *study* and think hard and not get it for a while.

Private schools depend on tuition payments to keep their doors open, and this is probably a factor in making them more receptive to the needs of bright kids. Good luck, and you have my sympathies.

Val

Allow me to vent a bit, but as a so-called professional in her field, she should know the answer to these questions....Sorry, but I can't imagine a special ed. teacher saying something this rude about a kid with an IQ of 65. Americans are getting good at discriminating against intelligent people. <end of rant>

Three cheers, Val. The eloquence of your rant is sublime!! Can I rent you out sometime to rant at my DS's school for me, if the occasion should occur??? grin

I think that the points that you make are terrific, Val. It boils down to the discriminatory belief that all gifted kids will be just fine on their own, and that they can make their way without any additional help from anyone. I would be tempted to buy a copy of Genius Denied or Karen Rogers' book for the teacher, if you think she would spend time reading it. Remember, that if a teacher teaches for 30 years, with 28 kids per years, she might never see a kid with IQ<= 145. (28x30=840, and kids with high IQs are 1 out of 10,000). So your child's teacher and the school may not have ever seen a child who needs more educational resources than the typical kid.

That is where the need for testing begins. After the testing, you have to educate the educators on what the test results mean. Then you have to sit on their doorstep and refuse to go away until they do something about the test results.

As a parent, stop and think about what the perfect school would give to your child. Think of that as the utopia of education... unrealistic here is our underfunded world. But it is a good exercise to see how far away your child's current education is from that utopia. If it is not too terrible far off, i.e. if your child's school is open to subject accelerations or other enrichments, then learn to maneuver quietly in the system to get what you want. If it is very far off from what you child needs, then you are going to have to roll up your sleeves, dig around for what you school is required to provide, and start having a lot of friendly chats with the school.

But you need to know 1) what you want for your child, and 2) what the school will provide for you child. And until you get some data that shows the school that your child is different from most of the ordinary kids that play on their swings and read their books, those conversations will not happen easily.

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by ebeth
    Allow me to vent a bit, but as a so-called professional in her field, she should know the answer to these questions....Sorry, but I can't imagine a special ed. teacher saying something this rude about a kid with an IQ of 65. Americans are getting good at discriminating against intelligent people. <end of rant>

Three cheers, Val. The eloquence of your rant is sublime!! Can I rent you out sometime to rant at my DS's school for me, if the occasion should occur??? grin

Thanks! Yes, I'm available as a Rent-a-Ranter (reasonable rates, first rant free).

I agree that kids with IQs over 145 are very rare and many teachers won't ever meet one. Yet kids with IQs <60 are just as rare and educators do learn about the needs of this group, and schools sometimes even give them personal aides or pay tuition to send them to private schools to meet their needs.

Not to mention that people with IQs over 130 comprise 2% of the population and are therefore ubiquitous. So I just can't give schools and teacher training systems a pass here. If they have a responsibility to understand the needs of the 2% with IQs <70, they have the same responsibility to the other end of the curve.

Hmm. I just had a thought. The parents of a disabled child in NYC recently won a lawsuit that now forces the city to pay tuition for a special school for their child. These people were very wealthy and sued on principle to help other less-wealthy families in the same situation. I'm not sure of the details, but I don't think all disabled kids were included. The plaintiffs' argument was that the public schools can't meet the needs of certain kids and therefore they must pay for private school. I wonder if this could be applied as precedent for gifted kids (the HG+ ones are equally rare and their needs are equally unmet)? Something like this could even be valuable as a tool to force the public schools to offer acceleration.

Val

F
    OP Offline
    F
    Does anyone have an official checklist for gifted characteristics? Maybe if I had this, I could use this to my benefit with the teacher.

He took SAT's last yr. in K-5 & scored in 99th percentile in most areas.

And thanks Elisa for the link to fldoe.

Part of me is leaning towards backing off this test until 3rd grade UNLESS I see that DS6 is not challenged enough. The reason we chose private school was because we were afraid he would not be challenged in public. I know that his 1st grade teacher is currently teaching them what would be considered "2nd gr. work" in public school.

There are only 12 kids in his class & a few are doing poorly, most are average. My son has received 100% on all work & tests plus extra credit. This makes me happy and worried. I worry that it is too easy & he will not experience what it is like to struggle through things & enjoy the accomplishment of finally succeeding after hard work.

It is possible he is not working to his highest potential. That bothers me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM