Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 308 guests, and 40 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    OP Offline
    Yes I am starting THAT decussion.

What do you think?

You first...........

okay, I see you are not signed on so I'll go first even though I am so shy. blush

My state allows for partial homeschooling. After working well with the school for over a year, DH and I have determined both girls should have time during their school day to work at their own pace.

Currently DD8 leaves for a portion of the day. We are not doing this for DD6 yet, but probably will at some point going forward. It's working our better than expected.

I feel that both girls would benefit greatly from a totally individualized curriculum. That said, what child wouldn't? grin

Both girls love their school and want to be there, so we respect that. Additionally, I am afraid to totally cut the cord, so to speak. Yes, I realize I am extremely lame in this regard.

Originally Posted by incogneato
    Both girls love their school and want to be there, so we respect that. Additionally, I am afraid to totally cut the cord, so to speak. Yes, I realize I am extremely lame in this regard.

Neato,
    I don't see this as lame in the slightest! Why rush into any decision? There will never be a final perfect answer - so use the building blocks at your disposal.

I'm working 8-5, and while I know that homeschooling can be done on evenings and weekends, I don't think I would have the stamina for it...but if a homeschool coop opened nearby, I think I would jump if I thought the folks 'got' my kid.

Online high school is always in the back of my mind...but for now, things seem to be working, so I'm grateful.

I don't really think that a debate HS v. Bricks and mortar School really fits for gifted families - I think it's more "try everything and see what combination of things work" yes?

If I get a learning environment that fits well for a whole year - I'm happy! I've had that twice, and never had more than that. I told DS12 to enjoy being the 8th grade big shot now, because although I'd love him to have the experience of being a high school senior someday, I wouldn't bet on it.

((shrugs)) and More ((shrugs))

Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    don't really think that a debate HS v. Bricks and mortar School really fits for gifted families - I think it's more "try everything and see what combination of things work" yes?

Absolutely, yes!

At the moment we're giving public school a try. If it doesn't work out I have cyberschooling as my plan B. Either the public cyberschool charter run by K12 or Calvert Online.

No one can answer that question but you. smile That choice is very individual. I'm currently HSing my 3rd grader for the first time. I guess what you call a reluctant HSer. I'm not one of those that always thought I'd homeschool. WHile I was so sad when my son started K, I felt it is just the way things are and dealt with it plus I had another baby at home. But now, with the negative changes in his personality and the things he says about school, I felt I needed to try something radical. Plus my teacher friend said that this year would be focused on testing which would mean lots of review which I think would have put the nail in DS's love of learning coffin - so to speak.

Plus, where I live is the antithesis of a HSing hot-bed. We are a surburb of a large city which is still 1.5hrs away so I don't have access to museums, HS programs, all the things that make HSing fun and exciting. So our decision (well DS's since I left it up to him) came with a lot of trade-offs.

OP Offline
    ok... I know I didn't say what I think cause I don't know, it is a giant undertaking...... But his school is far from cutting the mustard. They are doing the best they can... but it's not enough.

I considered HS after a disastrous 4th grade experience. Since DD is over 6 years older than DS, I felt it would be difficult to HS and DD really enjoys social aspect of school. We looked into private schools and accidentally found a PS that is extremely GT friendly, so we moved and gave it a go. Now, a few weeks into 5th grade, DD is reviewing 6th grade math and LA and will begin 7th grade curriculum soon. Her class is full of various LOGs and they have a wonderful camaraderie. Her teacher understands some of DDs "gifted" tendencies (lack of organizational skills, desire to research some topics to no end and not needing tons of repetition) but at the same time she is teaching her great strategies to handle a regular classroom later on. While HS is never ruled out for us, I feel pretty good about this year.

M
    M
    We were "emergency homeschoolers" (as Kriston calls it). DS6 was drowning in Kindergarten and begged me to bring him home, so we pulled him in March. We're continuing this year because it's working very well for him. But, we are completely undecided on how to handle DS4 who starts K officially next year. I'm leaning towards sending him just to lighten my load a bit at home, but we'll see.

I agree with everyone else, you have to do what works for right now and when it stops working, you change it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM