Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 432 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    incogneato #25810 09/13/08 09:22 AM
    B
    B
    I am loving this thread. Our DS6 has always had a penchant for ummm experimentation with ummmm chaos and he is so quick about it. My house is continously trashed. DS8 is HG+ I'm sure, and since DS6 is so different it's difficult for me to tell if he is, but if destruction is an attribute of being GT, well, DS6 is running strong!

Lorel #25811 09/13/08 09:23 AM
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by Lorel
    She has grown into a chaotic individual who leaves a path of wreckage behind her...she has NO sense of order and the first thing she does with a clean room is spread toys or books all over it.

What's funny is that DD2 loves to clean up- I wouldn't call her neat necessarily (she like to make a mess), but she enjoys when it's time to clean-up. She happily puts things back in order, especially sorting toys into their bins. Even at 16 months, she was helping me unload the dishwasher by getting the silverware and putting it in the correct drawer. The boys always see clean-up time as an end to their fun, she sees it as a new way to explore the mess and chaos she's created!

#25830 09/13/08 10:55 AM
    I'm like that, though I'm not a Destroyer. I think it's a hallmark of a visual person. If I can't see it, I forget it's there. It makes it hard to stay organized. Clutter is everywhere. frown

Kriston
    #25833 09/13/08 11:09 AM
    Well, mine's pretty bad... I'm sure it could be worse, but I don't want to think about how!

Kriston
    Kriston #25835 09/13/08 12:30 PM
    You can take things like old calculators, phones, etc. Remove the batteries and make sure there is no power source that can be plugged in when you aren't looking,grin, and let them take it apart.
    We were at a kid's science function and they had a whole table just full of stuff that kids could take apart and look inside.

In fact, someone had actually bought a whole bunch of corded phones like we used to have back in the 70's grin brand new just to have kids take them apart to see what's inside.

Last edited by incogneato; 09/13/08 12:30 PM. Reason: smile didn't work
    #25838 09/13/08 01:41 PM
    acs Offline
    Originally Posted by kcab
    I have a good friend who does this - when camping with her it was amazing how quickly she could spread her stuff out over the entire tent and campsite, not to mention how much stuff there was. I ended up deciding she's much more comfortable when she can see all her things. Of course, she can't actually see them after the floor is covered knee-high. In any case - she's very creative.

This is absolutely DH and me. Give us about 2 minutes and our hotel room is covered in stuff. Sometimes we just look around and shake our heads--how much stuff did we bring? It isn't the same motivation as Kriston's (need to see everything) though, nor is it that we are creative. For me, it is a single-minded focus on the thing I am doing now to the exclusion of all else. If I want the jacket at the bottom of my suitcase, then everything else between me an it is an inconvenience, to be tossed aside. If my shoes are bothering me, then they need to be off my feet now and I don't care where they go. I never think about wanting to be able to find these things later.

I am just selfish; my motto is "I want what I want and I want it NOW!" Fortunately since DH is much the same way, we really have no conflict about this. The problem is that we had hoped that DS might be more organized, but instead he got a double-hit and no good role models!

acs #25850 09/13/08 03:18 PM
    OP Offline
    Yes, yes, yes! After I posted this I thought, nobody is going to understand this one.
    Thanks, mommaandmore and others. Your descriptions have hit the mark. I do think some of it is boredom; and some of it might be trying to check out things they can sort of intellectually 'get', but don't have the motor skills to deal with (rip, tear, shred).

DH and I will sometimes look up from reading, eating, whatever, and have one of those 'It's quiet. Too quiet.' moments.

One time I came into the dining room after literally only 4 minutes of being out and dd (1 at the time) had completely covered the dining room table with a pretty even coat of milk and cereal. And a good part of the floor. It was remarkable in both size and consistency - like she had been evening it out here and there...
    Then there was the time she pulled out the noise-maker in a toy of ds's, she's completely shredded many books, and so on.
    I think the books definitely end up in the category of 'oh, here's some cool stuff that I'd never see in a board book so let's check it out.' Then 'darn I've torn the page, wait...THIS PAPER REALLY SOUNDS COOL WHEN YOU TEAR IT!! '.

Asynchronous dev.?

Oh, and btw, we try to fit into the 'put that toy away before you take out another' camp, but it just does not seem to happen...we just sort of get out the bulldozers once a week and 'reset'.

chris1234 #25854 09/13/08 04:50 PM
    K
    K
    My destroyers favorite medium is water, but she's also fond of whiteboard markers. My best destroyer story is when I passed her on the stairs, and all she said was "Water." I went into the bathroom to discover she'd taken the top off the liquid soap and wedged it under the faucet, and turned the water on. The bottle fit almost perfectly so that once it filled with water, water sprayed all over the bathroom like a sprinkler. My destroyer is not identified as gifted, but she has a huge imagination.

My identified-gifted ds was never a destroyer until recently. He's older than dd, but she's the one who taught him how to pretend. Now 8, he's become much more destructive. Last week, he found out what happens when you climb your dresser and sit in one of the drawers.

My ds is so obviously gifted (early reader, obscure interests, asynchronous), I keep trying not to discount dd. She seems so normal. Well, except for the destructiveness (we used to call her Destructo), the imagination (she had a whole family of imaginary friends), the perfection, her issues with smells... Okay, maybe she's not so normal. If I say gifted, I won't have to use the word strange.

chris1234 #25857 09/13/08 04:56 PM
    DH just reminded me that he used to call DS4 "DS4, Destroyer of Worlds." I had forgotten that. He also tells me that he told a co-worker that if you left him alone in a padded room with an anvil, DS4 would break the anvil and not know how he had done it.

Shows what I remember...

Could you send the bulldozers my, way, Chris? I need them now! :p

Kriston
    Kriston #25859 09/13/08 05:07 PM
    My DS 5.5 loves to take electronic items apart. He is quite adept with a screwdriver. He recently told me that he is collecting parts to build his own robot.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM