Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 192 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    OP Offline
    well, he isn't really pron to emotional outbreaks in public. He's is pretty private about his emotions publicily. So crying in school is sort of strange. At home he and his father both are my sweet cry babies. We watch a movie and it's sad, the two of them start balling. They'll cry while watching the news. When i was young I was like that as well. Be I guess age as crurpted me....lol.

I asked him about going to 2nd and he wasn't really interested.....

He did say to me, "I just need to get used to it. By December I'll be happy."

But then this morning when we dropped him off he said, "Don't be surprised, I am going to cry today. I just know it."

I guess well see later today how it went.

B
    B
    Sorry if I'm repeating some things that have already been said... I'll be honest... I didn't read every post :-)

I just wanted to say that my dad and I were just reminiscing the other day about how first grade was just hell for us. We were not ready at 6-7 years old to be away from home for 7-8hrs a day. Academically and socially we were fine but a long grueling day of desk work was just way too much for us.

I don't know how your school is but in 3rd grade sometimes there is a lot less recess, pe, library, change of scenery, etc... than there is in first grade. It's usually a gradual change but when you skip grades I bet it can be a huge adjustment.

Have you considered doing part time homeschooling? Especially since he's so young and a full day of school can feel like a LOT.
    They very long school days we have nowadays is one of the reasons I'll be homeschooling after kindergarten (if not for K as well)

Just a thought!
    Good luck.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by ienjoysoup
    this is his 6th day

he was on board, but did have some trepadations

no homeschooling, same school, but there are alot more kids in the school this year ( a local charter school failed and about 900 kids came back to the regular district because of it)

Poor kid! And a lot of extra kids must be very tough for everyone!

It takes time to get used to a new situation, but he may discover in a couple of weeks or so that a lot of his worries have lessened, just like he predicted. He sounds like a very thoughtful person.

This sounds trite, but try to focus on the good things about the day, and monitor them in your mind to look for changes (more good things in a day, good things going from small good things to bigger good things, etc.).

Val

He did say to me, "I just need to get used to it. By December I'll be happy."

But then this morning when we dropped him off he said, "Don't be surprised, I am going to cry today. I just know it."

How sweet!
    Sounds like he has both a hopeful and a 'needs to show how hard it is' side.

A friend explained to me about having 'faith' in my kid. It was a time when I didn't have 'trust' in him or in the situation. She explained that when you have 'faith' you convey confidence the your kid will work things out, although you don't feel safe right now. Sound like your son has 'faith' in himself - very sweet.

Grins

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Just because he's feeling down right now doesn't mean that it is the result of the gradeskip. If he hadn't skipped and he was feeling down, you might be thinking that it was because he hadn't skipped!

I think that you and he should give him more time to settle in. He's probably right--he'll be feeling better by December.

OP Offline
    I saw that a lot of people said about him being away all day. He is sort of used to that, he started full day kindergarten when he was 4. So Him being there all day isn't really an issue.

We just picked him up and he was happy as a clam. His father asked him if he was sad today, or if he cried and he responded, "No, why? I had a great day." He seemed like he had no idea why we would think he was sad.

We visited his class for a little while today, he had a birthday recently (became 7) and so we did the cupcake and juice thing. He seemed fine, seemed to fit right in.

So I think is shaky's are over. He's settling in.

grin I'm glad to hear that!

We just picked him up and he was happy as a clam. His father asked him if he was sad today, or if he cried and he responded, "No, why? I had a great day." He seemed like he had no idea why we would think he was sad.

Doesn't that beat all? It seems to go with the Intensity thing at our house.

Glad to hear he's feeling more grounded. Gladder that you have us to worry with!

Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    B
    B
    Awesome! :-) glad to hear it!

Remember this day, especially if he cries again next week! grin

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM