Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 395 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    B
    BKD Offline
    B
    My partner was quite taken with Buddhism after we went to a Buddha's birthday event, but in the end was concerned that he might feel pressured to give up sausages. People find spiritual fulfilment in different places, and he reckons agnosticism gives him more freedom to look for it in bangers and mash.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by BKD
    My partner was quite taken with Buddhism after we went to a Buddha's birthday event, but in the end was concerned that he might feel pressured to give up sausages. People find spiritual fulfilment in different places, and he reckons agnosticism gives him more freedom to look for it in bangers and mash.

Hmm. I lived in Buddhist country (Theravada) for a while. Sausage-type food was definitely not an issue. Those folks ate anything (and a lot of their "anythings" were remarkably tasty). Perhaps the local Buddhists he met had their own ideas? Sometimes westerners who go Buddhist can be somewhat, ahem, enthusiastic in their approach.

Val

B
    BKD Offline
    B
    I'll suggest he re-opens his horizons and investigates pro-sausage buddhist groups... smile

well i like it for the philosopy and so... in my buddism, you can eat sausages!

(That sounds like another bumber sticker)

incogneto- you may have seen me there!

I think so. Welcome!

There's a lot of action over here! I've had to develop a strategy to skim through recent posts so I don't miss too much. Sometimes the posts fly so fast you can go through the first five pages and see that all the posts are within the last few hours.

Have fun, tons of great people and great resources here.

Neato

acs Offline
    Vegetarianism and Buddhism have a complex relationship. Different areas and lineages will approach the problem differently. Also, there are different expectations for monk/nun and lay practitioners. Here is an excerpt from An Introduction to Buddhist Ethics by Harvey:

It is often seen as surprising that vegetariansism is not more widespread among Buddhists than it is, given the Buddhist teachings. In fact, the Buddha's emphasis was on avoidance of killing. So it is worse to swat a fly--an immediate act of killing-than to eat the carcase of an already dead animal. Only in certain Mahayana texts is vegetarianism advocated.

Typically,in most Buddhist countries monks are expected to eat whatever they are given on their alms rounds. So if they are given meat they eat it. They certainly would not kill the animal themselves and they should discourage someone else from killing an animal for them. The rules for lay people are even more relaxed.

I think regardless of whether one eats meat or not, the true spirit of Buddhism is to be appreciative of the lives that are sacrificed to make our meals possible. I think that sometimes that reverence will naturally lead to the desire to minimize life-taking and therefore becoming a vegetarian might be the next most logical step.

So your partner can eat his sausage, but only after he thanks the pig!

Originally Posted by acs
    [quote]It is often seen as surprising that vegetariansism is not more widespread among Buddhists than it is, given the Buddhist teachings. In fact, the Buddha's emphasis was on avoidance of killing. So it is worse to swat a fly--an immediate act of killing-than to eat the carcase of an already dead animal. Only in certain Mahayana texts is vegetarianism advocated.

quote]

Interesting...How 'bout mosquitoes? Can you kill them? Maybe that's why there aren't too many Buddhists in MN.....

acs Offline
    You can kill them, but then you will have to accept the karmic consequences.

One of my Buddhist Japanese friends who does flower arranging apologizes each time she cuts a flower from the plant. You may be able to mitigate some of the mosquito-killing karma by apologizing to the mosquito as you squash its little body, but your apology would have to be sincere!

OK, straying off topic here, but I'm curious. What do Buddhists think about modern medicine (specifically, taking antibiotics/antiviruses/chemicals to kill bacteria/viruses/cancer)?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM