Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 404 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Ania Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Ivy League Day Care: What Happened to Crayons?

The cornerstone of Cr�me de la Cr�me is its spectacular 21,000 square foot facility, which can accommodate approximately 275 children and is located on approximately three acres of land. The entrance to the center is an elegant lobby featuring elevated ceilings, hand crafted woodwork and a sitting room warmed by a fireplace. The passageway from the lobby to the main facility consists of a small wooden bridge that crosses a flowing streambed containing rocks, plants, and live fish. Across the bridge is the magical and captivating world of Cr�me de la Cr�me. The main interior resembles a Victorian Villagescape, residing under a 34 foot translucent skylight. In the village are a computer lab, arts & crafts studio, library, dance studio, gymnasium and a mock television studio. The exterior areas include reduced size tennis and basketball courts, a custom designed mini water park and numerous play areas containing an assortment of toys and playground equipment. Extensive security measures are in place at each Cr�me center to ensure the health and safety of every child. Closed-circuit TV monitors provide continual surveillance of changing areas, washrooms, classrooms and other areas. There is a computerized access system to gain entrance into the building.

Cr�me's educational curriculum is the foundation of the Cr�me concept. The curriculum for children from ages two to five years was developed by Cr�me's staff of early childhood education experts. The Cr�me curriculum combines learning with fun activities incorporating interactive exercises. In addition, starting at two years of age, children learn a second language (Spanish), computer and other subjects.

Cost: $1350.00 a month for ages two to five

Think we can shove them out the door any earlier for learning experiences?

I just found it today, to my horror.
    Ania

D
    D
    I don�t have a problem with young children learning another language or computers. My son was independent on the computer (with the mouse mostly) when he was 21/2. I would have loved to have him learn another language at that age. My daughter�s pre-school teacher LET my daughter practice writing words when she was three even though it was against the school policy.

I do think it is wrong to expect little ones to learn through purposeful education until they are ready and interested, but some will be ready and willing at two. My concern with this school is that many parents will enroll kids who are not ready and they will find the lessons stressful and internalize that they don�t measure up to their parent�s expectations. I also think that such a lavish facility may spoil their appreciation for anything less opulent and indulging.

C
    C
    It is an expensive day care for sure. It is probably cheaper to hire a Spanish speaking nanny who can teach your kid Spanish and do a lot other things.

I actually have a better idea. Put the $1,350 a month or $15,000 a year in an investment account. With proper investments, the money should quadruple in 16 years to $60,000. Just enough to cover one year of tuition of an Ivy league school.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations