Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Eagle Mum), 224 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Q
    Q
    They're in the link I gave, questions. A little teamwork action, there!

Oops! Sorry. Didn't have time to read your link that I posted before I read your post - not that I would have checked the link anyway.... grin

Oh, no apology necessary at all!

I just thought it was nice that we worked so well together, and I didn't want you to waste time looking up the author when it was there already.

laugh

Kriston
    Q
    Q
    Got it! Thanks. I thought I was supposed to read the link, which I really should, you know... Do you know why it didn't highlight in your post?

Hello all. I simply have to comment on this question - being mom to a GT kiddo with high sensitivities AND an SI certified OT - couldn't resist to add my opinion and experiences.

SI disorder is NOT correlated with GTness. Overexciteabilities are. There is a very gray area between what is considered an overexciteability and what is considered an SI disorder of modulation (eg: tactile defensiveness). Not all children who display high sensitivities to socks, clothing, sounds, etc. have an SI disorder. But many, many GT kids have the hypersensitivity. The gray area is where the degree of "dysfunction" exists and whether or not one wants to call it a disorder or gift of heightened processing.

It's important to understand that tactile defensiveness and sensory sensitivity is but one aspect of an SI disorder. There are disorders of movement and disorders of modulation. Tactile defensiveness is considered a modulation disorder. But there must be evidence of some underlying sensory system (vestibular, proprioceptive, tactile) functioning incorrectly in order to be considered an SI disorder.

I'll comment more later - but have a patient waiting for me now.

F
    OP Offline
    F
    Thanks. I just was referred to an ocupational therapist?? by my primary pediatrician. This office was surprised that my ds6 was not homebound & did not need a therapist to come to the house to see him.

I said I could bring him to an office & they are going to check with the therapist & get back to me...

Any comments???

I will check that book out from the library.

F
    OP Offline
    F
    I did not see your post before my last comment. Do you recommend seing an occupational therapist at all? My DS6 is sensetive to things related to smell, touch, sight, sounds & taste. But has shown no vestibular or proprioceptive.

He actually is highly coordinated & walked at 8 months. So, no balance issues & no speech issues. He spoke young as well.

I don't want to waste my time or the therapists time if he is just highly sensetive due to the giftedness issue. His issues certainly do not stop us from doing things, but can slow things down.

I can't tell you whether your child should see an OT or not without having met him in person. Here is a nice checklist to use when wondering if sensory processing disorder is the problem: http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/sensory-processing-disorder-checklist.html

Scroll down the page to find the checklist. If only one or two items in a section fit your child I'd say no, he doesn't need an OT. Generally, many yes responses in any one or more categories would indicate a need for an eval by an OT.

If you pursue an eval with an OT I would ask the therapist what her experience is with both SI eval and treatment AND giftedness. You want a therapist who has experience with both. And understands both.

The other important thing to consider is whether you are managing fine or not. My philosophy is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Just because the pediatrician thinks there's a problem doesn't mean you need an eval and treatment IF you don't feel his issues interfere with life. When the sensory issues interfere you should seek help so your child can be successful in daily activities.

A good resource on general sensory processing is "Living Sensationally" by Winnie Dunn. It explains sensory processing exists on a continuum and not all extremes of sensory processing are necessarily "disordered." Another great book on sensory integration disorder is SI and The Child by A. Jean Ayres, PhD. She is the original theorist of SI theory. Go to the source, I say.

There are also many sensory tools that can be used to help highly sensitive children. A good resource on sensory diets is "How Does Your Engine Run?: The Alert Program for Self Modulation. There are lots of good resources on their website. www.alertprogram.com

A good book on alternative approaches to sensory sensitivity is "Too Loud, Too Bright, Too Fast, Too Tight: What to do if you are sensory defensive in an overstimulating world" by Sharon Heller, PhD.

Hope that info helps.

Last edited by doodlebug; 09/08/08 01:52 PM. Reason: oops, corrected my resources
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    Thanks Doodlebug. The checklist really put things into perspective. I think we will just be aware that he is super sensative physically & emotionally & we will attribute it to the giftedness.

No need to seek the advice of the OT at this time! THANKS!!!!

Thanks, DB! I learned something from you today, and I always like to learn! smile

Kriston
    Has anybody got a child that has heightened sensitivity only sometimes? I have noticed a pattern in my ds that I have not encountered before. Sleeps much less, hyperalert, very very active, eats much less or more, smells and sounds bother him. I have even had to remove clocks from his room. Then a few days later he has raced on in development.

His first day at school today and major meltdown in the playground. The reason? Name tags in his "scratchy" school uniform

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM