Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I always recommend starting here: http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/psychologists.htm

Hoagies is a WONDERFUL website, and the testers you'll find here have been recommended by parents and educators who care about GT education. They're "vetted," if you will.

If you find a tester not on the list and feel the person is good for GT kids, then please e-mail Carolyn at Hoagies and ask her to add the person to the list. She's grateful for the help, and you will help other parents in your same situation.

Okay, so anyone have any testers in CA they want to recommend?

As for what to tell the child, I wouldn't get into "what do you want to do about school?" with him yet. There are plenty of options, but kids generally fear change. There's no reason to go there yet. Get him tested, consider your options, decide what you think is best for him under the circumstances. THEN start finding ways to make that work for him. Find out what his fears are and work to address those. But just saying "Do you want to skip a grade?" probably isn't going to be met with joy by very many kids, not even really, really GT ones.

Kriston
    S
    S
    I don't have any help but I do understand how you feel. Is he gifted? Is he not gifted? Sometimes I think he's exceptionally gifted and sometimes I think he's below gifted (sometimes below average). Most of the time, though, he's MG-HG. And, then there's that pesky asynchronous develepmont thing . . . this morning he's acting like he's 2 (he's 7). I'll repeat what others have said "go with your gut". And, if you do the testing and he turns out not to be gifted, well, then, so what? The world will continue, he'll continue to learn, you'll continue to love him, and he'll grow up knowing you did what you could for him.

ETA: I didn't mean to sound flippant. I know it's a sensitive and emotional subject. I think sometimes I let it consume me and it really doesn't matter all that much, as long as he and you are happy with him.

Last edited by squirt; 09/06/08 08:59 AM.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM