Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 331 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Jool Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Kriston, I like your idea of telling her that I like DS to make mistakes. In fact, I just had a conversation with DS yesterday about how important mistakes are in learning. I told him that I have 2 expectations of my new student-in-training at work; that she 1. ask lots of questions and 2. make mistakes.

And thanks for the offer for reading the draft! I just might take you up on it once I get out of overwhelm mode and just do it. smile

Well, I appreciate the credit, but if you look back at what you wrote, it was really YOUR idea about the mistakes! laugh

BTW, I just revealed to you my standard trick as a writing tutor: ask the person what she wants to say, tell her what she said, and then accept heaps of praise for making so much sense and for being so helpful. wink I was actually called a "genius" by more than one person...for mirroring exactly what they told me in the exact same words!

People are funny things! grin

A further BTW: this is a great trick for parents wanting to help kids with writing assignments. Ask the child what he wants to say, and record his responses. Ask questions to clarify whatever you don't understand, but write down only his words, not yours. Then read back what you wrote. 99 times out of 100, the child will be amazed at how much sense what you read back makes. But it's all the child's work. It's also a strategy that they learn to do for themselves with practice, so you aren't making the child reliant upon you. It's tutoring in the truest sense of the word: teaching someone the skill of thinking and writing, rather than telling them what to think and write.

And Jool, you know where to find me... smile

Kriston
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM