Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 278 guests, and 28 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #24416 08/29/08 08:07 PM
    moni Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I thought DS7 would enjoy watching some Nova Science Now episodes since I saw one on my own the other night about Dinosaurs and finding red blood cells in their bones....very interesting. Anyway we watched some other ones tonight and one of them dealt with the Apophis meteor and of course I wasn't thinking that this might not be a good idea since DS has gotten very anxious/worried in the past about global warming and fires in particular.
    I thought we'd go to the PBS website to help with some of his fears, but it seemed to make it worse. I talked to him about what the scientists are doing to help. He just kept saying I hope I wake up and don't remember this. He also wants a telescope now to keep track of it. smile
    What advice would you give to help lessen this worry? Please feel free to share your stories/experiences.
    Thanks,
    moni

acs Offline
    For DS it made a big difference when I told him what I used to be afraid of (nuclear war) and how my mother used to have to comfort me just like I was conforting him. It seemed to both validate and reassure. I guess since I survived my anxiety, he saw that he would too.

Of course, that might have just given him more to worry about, so telling him was a risk. But for us it worked pretty well!

Mia Offline
    Very interesting.

My 6yo ds is very interested in weather -- a few months ago, he was very worried about tornadoes, hurricanes, tsunamis, etc. We live in Illinois! But it was still hard to get across to him that there was little/no danger of hurricanes in our part of the country; he was very concerned whenever he saw "cumulonimbus" on the horizon.

We got him several large and detailed books aimed at adults -- picture-heavy but also information heavy -- about inclimate weather, and he was hooked. Now he knows where hurricanes are likely to strike, why a tsunami won't get us in Illinois, etc. He's totally into it. He likes to cite statistics about the costliest weather disasters, the deadliest, etc., to anyone who will even half listen. And this is a kid who used to be terrified of that stuff.

I think his fear was a manifestation of what a hold that sort of weather had over his imagination, and that's why he likes it -- he relates to it in some way, and can confront his fear with knowledge. He still worries about tornadoes, but now he knows how to spot one and what the "danger signs" are, so he's less worried. He says he wants to be a "storm chaser" when he grows up. smile

From my experience, I would provide information -- lots of statistics about how very rarely big meteors hit the earth, and how scientists are working on the problem, and what he can do to help. The telescope is a great idea, I think! I'm guessing he can look to his heart's content and not spot the next "big one." smile I'd get it for him! And then I'd supplement that with all sorts of other space information, if that's what he seems drawn to. Check out the adult section of bookstores or libraries; there are great photo- and information-heavy books on science subjects that work for HG+ kids at this age, who typically aren't satisfied with books aimed at their age group.

As acs said, it might make his fear worse ... but in my experience, the more info, the better.

Mia
    B
    B
    Hey Mia - your post made me laugh - your little guy and my son would be perfect for each other, my DS5 is addicted to any and all things weather based- tornados being his favorite. For months he literally was glued to the Discovery channel's weekly show - Tornado Chasers (that contained the T.I.V. and D.O.W vehicles)...he too wants badly to be a storm chaser (he made me purchase a storm chaser decal that is on the back of our car)...but at the same time he is very afraid of them. He seems fascinated with learning everything about natural disasters and all their scales but then it flashes in his brain that these are events that cause damage and hurt people and he gets worried/scared. We dealt with it the same way - gave him as much knowledge about it and he is more comfortable.
    We have made a bit of a back step though concerning tropical storms/hurricanes thanks to Fay in Florida...we had 26 inches dumped on us and somehow had a water leak in the sun roof of our car - the insurance company yesterday, deemed the car a total loss because the water got into the electrical wiring that is found in the floorboards - and our poor little guy cried for over an hour because his Meemee and Papa (who live in New Zealand) gave us that car before they retired to NZ and he is so upset about having to replace it...so now he is scared to watch reports of new storms popping up in fear that we will have something else damaged frown

Last edited by Belle; 08/30/08 08:27 PM.
    Mia Offline
    LOL, Belle -- Yesterday KG was yapping about F3 tornadoes, and dh goes, "I'll give you $10 if you can tell me what the F stands for.

KG says, "Fu- ... Fuji ... Fujita scale!"

Dh is out $10. laugh

Mia
    B
    B
    oh that is hilarious!! My son is just totally into tornados - and whenever he hears someone talking about an F1 or F anything he proudly shares- don't you know that it is called an EF scale now. His 5 year old birthday, we did a tornado theme for some of his presents - my father in law thought we were nuts but I tried to explain to him that this is the stuff he is into!

I have another weather buff here. I think we checked out every library book on the subject last year. DS5 is still scared of thunder and lightning even though he has all the facts. I think this is because people do get struck by lightning. He is the first one making sure we head for safety when a storm is approaching. DS5 also watches the weather channel every morning just to make sure there are no major weather issues occurring in our area.

Crisc

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM