Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 110 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi all,

I thought I'd report good news about school. We need this kind of news on this board!

I've been talking about my kids starting at a new ability-grouped school this year. School hasn't started yet, but I wrote to DS8's teacher to tell her that he's been doing algebra, having skipped parts of grades 6-8 maths. This happened when he started reading Painless Algebra and got excited about the subject. I've discovered that he's been able to learn some of the skipped stuff through applying it in algebra, and it's been a good challenge for him. This may sound convoluted, but it seems to work pretty well.

Anyway, I received the teacher's response today: "I have 6th and 7th grade textbooks. And we will add more if needed." This is an elementary school, and they stock middle school textbooks as a matter of course!!

No disbelief (he spent two days there last year), no lockstep-curriculum response, no accusations of not letting him be a kid. They're just going to teach him what he doesn't know yet, and not make him repeat what's he's already done.

More reports to follow...

Val

K
    K
    That's great news! And I don't think that's odd at all. DS is working his way through singapore math right now, but I was thinking of having some algebra or geometry stuff around for us to pursue to keep things interesting. Let us know how it goes!

Yahoo! I'm so happy to hear it!

Love the positive stories! smile

Kriston
    Q
    Q
    So nice to hear. smile

Great Dottie and Val! Val, I'm envious of your school district, it sounds wonderful! Things are going well here too! Way better than last year, progress is slow......

I would love to know they have 7th 8th grade math available for the not too distant future!

acs Offline
    Dottie, Ditto on the school supply problem here. DS goes directly to the high school for math first period, then takes a bus back to the middle school for the rest of the day. Extra books and organizational issues, plus the question of "what to do about the cello?" I don't think he should take it to math at the high school so he can take it with him on ths shuttle back to middle school, so I think that means that DH and I will be chauffeur to the cello and take it to middle school every morning while DS heads off to high school!

Wow, Val and Gratified3. You both have great news! I'm very happy for both of your DSs. It is reassuring to hear that some school are listening to the parents (and the kids) and are accommodating the gifted kids. It is nice to have a ray of hope!!

grin

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    Originally Posted by gratified3
    Good news to share here too -- is it too soon? Should I be skeptical? First piece: when asking about how math works in new school, the answer was that last year, the small class worked four different grade levels in math, depending on level of the kids. Second piece of good news: DS reports today taking a math assessment a grade up from the one yesterday in order to figure out where he needs to be taught. What a concept? First -- figure out where they are, then teach what they don't know yet!

I can't even be skeptical anymore. I'm going whole heartedly optimistic for this year grin.

Good! More power to you!

Optimism in spite of the evidence is foolish; optimism because of the evidence is cause for celebration!!! laugh

Kriston

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM