Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Eagle Mum), 162 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    JBDad Offline OP
    OP Offline
    So how do you address this when it comes up? It's already come up for us once (and my way of handling was in agreement -- this is a better problem to have than being at the other end of the spectrum).

Just curious. In many ways I think we're fortunate that we're not dealing with other possible learning or social disabilities that could come up. At the same time the reason that this argument is brought up is to say "be glad you're getting this much." It's not been said maliciously. But given everything that is on an admin's plate, I can understand their feeling.

No impending crisis. Just curious on how you guys have dealt with it and I saw it mentioned in another thread.

JB

Val Offline
    Hi JB,

I figure that even though something is a good problem to have, it's still a problem that has to be solved.

I try to break my problems into what I call their constituent parts. In this case, barring other issues I don't know about, I see two parts: the part that makes having the problem good (high intelligence) and the part that has to be solved (keeping your child challenged in school).

So, sure (you can say to the school if they ever try to dismiss you), it's great that your son is a bright kid. But that doesn't mean his educational needs can be ignored.

I understand the administrator's problem, but I honestly don't care too much. They know what they're getting into when they take these jobs. The schools give a lot of extra help to slow learners, and they shouldn't use this fact as an excuse to minimize the needs of the quick ones! They would *never* make this statement to the parents of a disabled child. Umm. It's a challenge to make this statement gently <ahem>.

Val

It's common to hear this. In fact, I've heard so many parents of gifted children say they've been told this, that I suspect it is in a book somewhere that is called: Dummies Guide to Managing Parent Expectations.

Originally Posted by Val
    I figure that even though something is a good problem to have, it's still a problem that has to be solved.

This is usually what I say. I think it's hard for people to understand why and how high IQ can cause problems.

LMom
    JBDad Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Yeah, I like that. I'm filing that away for when I need it.

JB

This doesn't address the question exactly, but this is how I explained it to my mother-in-law.

30 point swings on the IQ scale make a huge difference. Compare a IQ=70 child and a IQ=100 child. If an average IQ kid was placed in a classroom filled with and designed for IQ=70 kids, then they would be very under-challenged. The same is true for most MG gifted kids of IQ=130, who are sitting in a classroom designed for IQ=100 kids.

Most HG+ kids are somewhere between 15 points and 30 points (???) beyond even the kids who make up most gifted programs. So you get into the same problem if you put a HG+ kid in a classroom designed for MG gifted kids.

Heaven help the HG+ kid who is sitting in a regular classroom and only given an hour a week of MG pullout classes. You are getting into a 45 to 60 point difference in IQ? I read in a book on exceptionally gifted kids that it is akin to watching a 2 hour movie in slow motion. It would take 6 hours to watch a 2 hour movie. Day after day after day..... tired zzzzzzzzzz

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    I guess my answer would be different depending upon who said it.

If it's casual conversation with another parent (who is not the PTA president or something), I guess I'd just sort of go along with an "It could be worse" sort of comment. If it's someone whom I think I could educate, then great. But I think you have to pick your battles, and this one might well be unworthy of fighting.

If it's a teacher or school administrator, however, I would be somewhat less amenable. This response is an attempt to say that it isn't that big a deal. So whatever your words, your message has to be, I think, that it is a real problem, and it's a problem that could become very serious if not taken seriously. I think you have to make it clear that it's not okay to minimize the problem.

I like ebeth's comparison, just to give a hint of what an HG+ child is up against, assuming you can fit it into a polite, bite-sized form. (I'm not very good at that!) Or I might mention the dropout rate for GT kids, or the rate of depression and suicide. But my goal would be to say something that would make clear that this is not something that should be taken lightly, not something that can be pooh-poohed away.

Maybe start with, "Well, I don't know if I'd go that far. Underchallenged HG+ kids are subject to a lot of serious problems..." Something polite and gentle, but clearly disagreeing, too. And offering info to back the claims of harm.

That would probably be my approach...if I had time to think through my response instead of just blurting out an incoherent "Nuh-uh!" wink I'm afraid that's more my usual M.O.!

Kriston
    Did she do this on a one or one conversation, or was this during one of those wonderfully engaging and productive PTA meetings?

I guess it depends on the PTA president. If you think she's a lost cause, I'm not sure I'd bother trying. You're pretty good at reading those things. But my tendency would be to say the same sort of thing I'd say to an administrator. I'd want her to know that underchallenged GT kids pose a real problem and that they can have serious problems as a result.

I can't believe she rolled her eyes at you about the GT teacher! Sheesh!

Kriston
    Oh, if she has little power, then I think you're right that she's probably not worth it.

Our PTA president has some power and a pretty big purse (the PTA regularly buys computers for the school!), so it can be worth making our case.

Kriston
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs