Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 246 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    M. Dale Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    I'm looking for an outside perspective -- thanks in advance for any comments.

My DS11's in 6th grade at a Catholic school in what is considered a very good school district. He's been there since Pre-K, and the school has done a decent job of meeting his PG needs -- they let him start kindergarten a year early, he's the first student ever to take Algebra I as a 6th grader, etc.

But right now he doesn't seem happy there. After his two best buds moved away after 4th grade year, he maybe has a couple half-decent friends. He gets along fine enough with most everyone, but there are only ~15 boys in his grade between two classes, and maybe one of them shares his STEM academic interests. He hates his schoolwork, other than math (and even that he perceives as too slow). He's not good at turning in his completed assignments, which stresses him out. (Perhaps even physically -- he's missed three days of school the last two weeks with no apparent flu, fever, etc.) Middle school was pretty bad for my wife and me -- and frankly, it seems, everyone! -- and we'd like to make it as not-horrible of an experience as we can.

On the horizon is his neighborhood high school, which will be a great fit for him (best we can tell). It's a huge, nationally ranked, STEM-oriented high school with the best math team in the state and at least a dozen other STEM clubs -- and ~1% of the grads get perfect ACTs every year. He will have no trouble finding kids that share his interests there.

So our issue is: What should we do for him in 7th and 8th grade? From what I see, we have three real options:

* Status quo. Pluses: He graduates with the students he's been with for 9 years. He gets to take Honors Geometry at the high school in 8th grade. At the same school as his sister (DD7). Minuses: The same issues as before, both academically and socially. Will it get worse?

* Public school. Pluses: 200 students/grade in a good academic district -- pretty likely to find kids with his interests to befriend. More STEM afterschool activities. Honors Geometry at the high school in 8th grade. Minuses: Academics will be basically the same, from what I've heard. Everyone there has already been together since 5th grade (although it's a different building in 7th). Risk that the change makes it worse.

* Homeschool. Pluses: Can meet his academic needs much better. No middle school peer angst. Not really a problem logistically in our family. Minuses: Usual social homeschooling concerns. Can't take Honors Geometry at the high school in 8th grade (I believe).

I'm open to other options that I haven't considered. I'm grateful for any comments!

I
    I
    You've put a lot of thought into this, and have some solid options before you. smile

You may want to check out a few things and gather more information which will make your decision easier.

1) Check your State laws.
    - Look for specifics on homeschooling.
    - Look for part-time attendance at the local public high school for advanced classes (Honors Geometry placement for an 8th grader).

2) Check the policies of any prospective school.

3) Take a tour of any prospective school. Have your son "shadow" for a day. Discuss their options for placement in advanced classes with above-grade-level curriculum.

4) Read resources about "school fit", such as Choosing the right school for your gifted child (contains "must-ask questions and the answers that you should seek")

5) Browse the website of Gifted Homeschoolers Forum (GHF).

6) Identify local homeschool groups, and inquire about meeting with them and potentially joining.

Is your child currently involved in any community activities such as scouts, intramural sports, swim club, etc, where he is a regular part of a group of kids? This can be very helpful in transitioning to a new school, as he may already know several children. This can also be beneficial as a homeschooler, as he could maintain regular social contact with peers with whom he shares a common interest.

H
    H
    Before changing schools, I would do your due diigence in touring and interviewing staff (and other parents if you can find them) at the public school to make sure it really will meet your son's needs. We live in a similarly ranked school district and it was unlivable for my HG/PG child. They did not meet any individual needs because they could just point to their school rank and stats to prove how awesome they are, therefore the problem is your child, not the environment.

Have you brought up your concerns with the current school and do they have any solutions?

Q
    Q
    I would not stay with the status quo as he is unhappy. Think of him as a fish needing a larger pond (or fishbowl). He is unlikely (at least statistically) to find even one MG (much less PG) kid among just 15 boys, especially in a catholic school. DS/DD (8th graders) have almost 400 kids in their grade and about a third are magnet students (not attending geographically designated school). I think 8-10 of their classmates are HG/HG+ based on 99/99+ percentile scores on MAP/PARCC as well as other information. Having appropriate peers makes a huge difference, particularly for some kids and more so for certain subjects. My DD was unhappy in her 8th grade "GT" Language Arts class a month into the school year until I made waves (even initiating some input from the Davidson Family Consultant) and at least got her "GT" class ability-grouped. The other 8th grade "GT" Language Arts classes (including DS') were also ability-grouped within days afterwards so maybe they were planning to do it anyways? My point is that she much prefers sitting in a group with the brightest kids who have more interesting contributions to literary discussions even if it's still the same curriculum. Regarding homeschooling, I would be less concerned with the social aspects if your DS already has strong social skills, has many extracurricular group activities, and there is a thriving homeschooling community.

M
    M. Dale Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    This is late coming, but thank you for all your thoughts/ideas -- I really appreciate it!

P
    P
    I would try and get the turning the assignments in sorted out. Will othet kids join the school just for the middle school years - they do at our school. Also look at the high school. If you home school and he ends up 2 grades ahead all round how will that work? If he is all round advanced could he skip the last year of his current school and go to high school early? Finally two friends is good.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations