Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 344 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks, ebeth! That's great! I would really love to find out that Physicus would work for us. It just sounds PERFECT for our plans for this year!!!

Kriston
    we have Crazy machines (Mac) and the boys really enjoy it.

Thanks e-beth! Will check out Crazy machines, but I really should be saving up for NXT!

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Back to Bill Nye...This is what the e-mail said about the deal:

Originally Posted by co-op
    DVD's are not cheap, but by purchasing as a group, we will all save at least 15% and as much as 40% depending on how many DVDs we purchase. Buy as few or as many titles as you want -- but it's the TOTAL number of titles we buy AS A GROUP that determines everyone's final price -- so help us spread the word and thereby save yourself and everybody else some money!

Does that help any? It made it seem clearer to me, I think.

15% off is still pricey, as they normally cost nearly $50! (The e-mail didn't say that!) And they need to sell 501 individual shows to get the price down to 40% off, or under $30. For the length of the shows, that's probably not worth it to me.

Bummer. I wonder why they're so expensive? Most videos of this sort aren't that much! frown

Kriston
    I'm guessing they're so expensive because Disney bought them. I seem to remember a while back when these were available free on the internet somewhere. frown

Incidentally, since i was a sucker when DS was born, and felt low on disney classics, i signed up for the disney movie club. There are about 5 bill nye dvds on the club now, for $21.95, and there's a buy-one-get-one at 40% off deal right now. they'll probably add more/change these titles at some point. If you feel like signing up for the club, and i can use you as a refer a friend (so i get a free movie) send me a pm! Of course you can sign up without me. I think you get like 10 movies free when you sign up - don't know if these include bill nyes or not.

Last edited by st pauli girl; 08/22/08 09:30 AM.
    I want the physicus and such too!

Discovery Streaming has Bill Nye video. It's on the computer rather than TV but you cannot beat the price. BTW Kriston you may even find math history movies there.

LMom
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I looked at it, but I'm not sure I want to spend the money there. I need some things I can put on the TV, not just the computer if I'm going to get any writing done.

I'm still thinking about the Discovery Streaming though. How much would we have to watch to get our $129 worth, I wonder, especially since we already have two PBS stations, Discovery, Discovery Kids, the History Channel, the Science channel, etc.?

Hmmm...

Kriston
    Discovery Streaming is a nice curriculum supplement. I think the main difference is that Discovery Streaming has lots of movies available immediately. For some reason TV doesn't seem too co-operative with my "Let's see if we can find something about ..." smile You know like watching the launch of Saturn V as we did the other day. I could look at the TV guide and see if there is something the kids may like and go from there, but I also want to be able to see things they are interested in right away.

The other nice thing is that Discovery Streaming will find the segment you are interested in and you don't have to watch the whole movie. You are done in 5 minutes which is not what you are looking for but it is something I like.

LMom
    M
    M
    We a game called Contraptions that sounds pretty similar to Crazy Machine. I hadn't even thought about letting DS6 try it. DH had it from before we had kids and had time to sit around playing computer games together (ah, those were the days, lol).

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks, LMom. That's a very helpful review. Can you burn them to a CD or DVD and play them on TV? Or only on the computer?

I'm still seriously considering buying. DH says, "Go ahead. It's only $129." But I keep thinking that $129 here, $69.95 there...pretty soon it adds up to the cost of the GT school's tuition! eek

But other than Physicus, I think this is the last more-than-pocket-change purchase I'm really considering, so maybe I'll just do it.

Kriston
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM