Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Thank you, he truly is a great sweet kid. But he has his quirks and we do worry about him. When he was little we called him little man because that is what he is. He is still a kid sometimes and thrown tantrums at times. But he will say things like "mom what you said really frustrates me, I don't like the rules that you make." And then he runs around in circles and says silly words. His new thing is saying "poopy" so I know that is a very typical 4 year old thing. I have to remind myself that he is 4 sometimes so I don't set the behavioral bar to high. Just because he can read and have adult conversations doesn't change the fact that he is 4. I love when he acts like a little boy sometimes because I missed out on that with him. He has a hard time just playing and pretending sometimes. I encourage him daily to pretend and imagine...because it's fun to do.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Thanks, I actually found someone on-line that is local and well known in working with Gifted children...but she often speaks in conferences and does all that so I am not sure if she does testing or consults still. I plan to try and call this afternoon to see.

Good luck with your 4 yr. old in K. I hope that the year is a success. My DS just asked me about 30 minutes ago. "what is Kindergarten anyhow? why do they call it that?" We weren't talking about kindergarten so I am not sure what made him think about that. Of course he talks to me about when I become a grandmother some day so I guess he is future oriented.

It's German. "Kinder" means "children" and "Garten" means "garden." So it should be a garden full of kids! smile

Kriston
    It is really hard to understand what they're thinking sometimes!

I could tell you a few stories about both my girls when I was really at a loss!

I'm pretty sure Dr. Ruff is currently practicing and does evaluate children as well as publish. One of the posters here just had her child evaluated, perhaps she could share how she got the ball rolling.

Working with the schools will hopefully be in your favor. They know you, so hopefully they won't assume you are the hot-housing overly involved pushy parent type.

It is possible to have a great relationship with the public schools and foster a good fit for a HG/PG child. I think it has to be the right school/principal and everyone has to agree to work together. There are a few here who are making it work. I don't want to dismiss the truly horrible and in my opinion abusive situations that some poster's children were subject to. That seems to be the case in far too many stories.

We are in the process of making it work at my childrens' school, there have been bumps and no guarantee if will continue to work well, but I've been very pleasantly surprised lately.

When I look at the parents who haven't had success in my community, I think some of the problem lies with them somehow needing the school to validate that they also think their child is gifted.

Once my children were tested and we had other "evidence" of their abilities, I became less concerned with whether or not such and so teacher or person thought my child was as smart as I did. I felt I got further by just presenting the facts as is and then asking them to help us figure out the best situation that was available at school.

I've read all the posts on this board, and the ONE common thread all parents have from the beginning is GT-denial. Kids almost ALWAYS test higher than their parents think.

Fair Austin, it's a process for sure.

I'm just suggesting that one moves on from that before attempting to advocate in the public school system.

It's pretty serious business.

I understand 'neato - I agree that having hard proof provides a firm foundation for further agitation!!

The advocation thing is a tough one for sure. I am in awe of some of the efforts described herein.

Originally Posted by incogneato
    It is possible to have a great relationship with the public schools and foster a good fit for a HG/PG child. I think it has to be the right school/principal and everyone has to agree to work together. There are a few here who are making it work. I don't want to dismiss the truly horrible and in my opinion abusive situations that some poster's children were subject to. That seems to be the case in far too many stories.

Teamwork is always hard, I think. (It's harder for some of us than others, but it's always hard. blush )

And getting a good, workable team that's moving in the same direction when it comes to one's child (My baby!) is a difficult process that requires patience, good listening skills, advocacy without turn-'em-off pushiness, and persistence. Not all of us can make it work, whether because of our own personal failings or the failings of the other team members. When it doesn't work, it can be truly harmful, and I don't think we should underestimate the potential for harm that's present there.

But when it does work...AH! It's golden! smile

Originally Posted by incogneato
    When I look at the parents who haven't had success in my community, I think some of the problem lies with them somehow needing the school to validate that they also think their child is gifted.

Once my children were tested and we had other "evidence" of their abilities, I became less concerned with whether or not such and so teacher or person thought my child was as smart as I did. I felt I got further by just presenting the facts as is and then asking them to help us figure out the best situation that was available at school.

I think you're right that until a parent accepts and embraces a GT child's GTness, it is really hard to be an effective advocate. I don't think you have to be a bull in a china shop to get results (not that you were suggesting that you do, obviously!), but I do think you have to have the courage of your convictions.

Kriston
    Yes, some pretty amazing stories and people here. Awe as in awe-inspiring. Inspiring as in, now I'm inspired that I can advocate for my child as well!

That's it Kriston, be convicted. Often I have trouble "verbalizing" my thoughts!

Kriston I know your story and the failings were very clearly on the part of the teacher and school admin.

There wasn't anything else you could do with that situation which is disappointing. If the child is suffering you don't mess around. I should have pulled C-dog mid year and I could just kick myself that I didn't. However, it's a whole new ballgame this year, which I'm grateful for.

If the situation repeats, though, you know I won't hesitate to pull, I won't wait this time.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM