Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #234678 11/02/16 06:45 AM
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    DD12 (undiagnosed, but has some ADD traits) loves coffee and will drink it with very little sugar. I almost always insist on decaf, but the other morning she was very tired due to various late-night engagements, so I gave her caffeinated, and she commented on her focus and energy. I have seen a bit of info on using coffee to help with inattentive ADHD, but am not sure about the effects on kids and/or growth and the brain. Anyone using it? Anyone done the legwork on the facts? DD has a lot of growing left to do (about 80 lbs)--nowhere near adult size yet.

Last edited by ultramarina; 11/02/16 06:50 AM.
    A
    AAC Offline
    A
    My psychiatrist asked me if coffee helps with my adult ADD. It does a bit.

To be honest, and I have nothing to support this other than speculation, I doubt caffeine would be worse for a growing brain than ADHD medication.

T
    T
    I often wonder whether my excessive consumption of green tea (I don't drink coffee simply because I don't like it) is self medicating, or whether it is just about the excuse to keep getting up from my desk. I grow lethargic when intellectually under stimulated, to the point of falling asleep, and need to move/wiggle/switch back and forth between tasks which has led to a lot of trouble in my life. I console myself that green tea is supposed to be good for about everything under the sun, including teeth. I have also read that most Japanese school children drink weak green tea (second or third infusion) from middle school age onwards and those who do are healthier than those who don't. So I occasionally make DS10 drink it, whenever he complains about feeling he's coming down with something, or can't focus. I can't really say whether it makes a difference, but am hoping for at least a placebo effect.
    So steering her towards green tea might be an option because it appears there no long term health hazards found in Japanese children at least, and I suspect in Chinese school children either, and it might even have other beneficial effects.
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...hy-eating/in-depth/caffeine/art-20049372
    If you check out caffeine content for a serving of espresso vs a serving of caffeinated soft drinks vs green tea, espresso doesn't contain that much more, and is probably much healthier than soft drinks, containing other beneficial compounds and much less sugar or unhealthy sweeteners.
    If it makes her feel more focused and alert, I'd probably allow her an espresso each morning, though I'd try to teach her to lose the sugar for good right now. I'd monitor carefully whether her stomach can take it, though - again probably not a concern with green tea.
    And I totally agree with PP - there are worse things to avoid, such as Ritalin or anti anxiety medication. I'd give coffee a shot.

Last edited by Tigerle; 11/07/16 04:13 AM.
    C
    C
    My 12yo has around 90mg a day before school at 7am (little Frapuchino bottle) and it keeps us out of trouble with forgetting homeworks, assignments etc. Her grades are generally better than what they used to be before we started. We also use a reminder watch recommended by this forum.

I'd be careful with dosage - my daughter is almost 13, taller than me and almost fully grown, so I didn't hesitate trying coffee. I would be more careful with a smaller child still going through puberty.

Last edited by Chicagomom; 11/14/16 06:14 AM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM