Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 105 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    Dd7 started 3rd grade and her slow writing speed and math computation speed are starting to become a problem. The expectations are high and she is getting frustrated. She claims she is the second slowest writer in her class and not able to finish assigned work. Her palms actually sweat when asked to write even a paragraph. But she has no problems sitting for hours and drawing. Her math computation speed is also very slow and she spends a lot of time thinking about how to show her work. My question is what resources are available to me to help her? Can I talk to her doctor about this? Should I meet with the teacher and discuss? Is there someone at school that can help, other than the teacher? Any websites, tools, tricks to improve speed? Thanks in advance for helping me help my very frustrated dd.

B
    B
    DD10 has these problems that started to become apparent in around 3rd grade. The school kept complaining about her but were unresponsive about coming up w/ solutions. I took her to a university to see a neuropsych/educational psych and he stated her issue is poor executive functioning (planning, organization, initiation, processing speed, focus) related to her ADHD. At first she just had a 504 because her previous school insisted she had to be failing to get any services. We transferred schools and they wrote an IEP and now she has people working with her on her incomplete work, organizational skills, etc. She also has modifications like reduced work, extra time to do things, keyboarding rather than handwriting, using a calculator for math facts, etc. I found this link helpful. http://www.davidsongifted.org/Search-Database/entry/A10782

I think it would be a good idea to meet with the teacher, share your concerns and ask teacher if it would help to have your daughter evaluated. Then decide about a school eval (which they have to do if you request it, generally), or going for a private eval. She may be able to qualify for a 504 plan or an IEP depending on the findings.

If there is a school psychologist or guidance counselor, she/he would probably be a good person to talk to w/ your concerns as well.

P
    P
    The first thing I'd do is verify - is she really slow, or is it just her perception that she's slow relative to others? You may already know the answer to this question... but I would start by talking to her teacher and seeing if her teacher feels that she writes slowly, isn't completing assignments, and if there is anything else going on at school - is she frustrated, happy, having other troubles etc.

Next step: you can check her writing speed at home. Have her write the alphabet (upper and lower case), and time her while she's writing it all out. Calculate her rate in letters/minute, and then google letters/minute + 3rd grade to find ranges that are typical for her grade. Also look at her writing - does she form all her letters correctly? Does she form them the same way every time? What does her posture look like while she's writing? Does she bend over or hold her wrist? Does she have a normal pencil grip?

If everything seems within range for her grade and she doesn't have issues with pencil grip or making letters etc... ask her what is difficult about writing things down.

Once you've done the above, if you still have concerns, I'd talk to her dr. You can have issues like this evaluated either through school or privately, and I've found that my children's dr was an invaluable resource in that he'd talked to enough parents of young children struggling in school that he had a good understanding of what we'd be able to achieve by going through an eval at our school vs a private eval. Whichever you choose, the important thing is to get the eval before you try to remediate the problem on your own.

Best wishes,

polarbear

L
    OP Offline
    L
    Thanks Blackcat. The link was really informative. DD does struggle with organizational skills. In fact, her 2nd grade teacher consistently marked this as "not meeting grade level expectations". She loses stuff, takes too long to write stuff down/finish assigned tasks at home/put her things back, daydreams, gets distracted by some idea in her head, etc. etc. I just assumed she was being a typical 6 year old + my DH is like this even as an adult. I haven't had a chance to meet with her 3rd grade teacher yet but will discuss this and ask for assistance with any evaluations/resources, etc

V
    V
    Lovemydd do note 7 is young for 3rd grade. It could be just some issues with attention span of younger kids. My DS7 in 2nd grade has the same attention issues in class. But we are seeing constant improvements year over year. So have not necessary been too concerned.

L
    OP Offline
    L
    Polarbear,
    Unfortunately, it is not just her perception. Her 2nd grade teacher brought this up as a concern at our parent/teacher meetings and suggested Xtramath.com to improve math fluency. DD hated it and complained about training to be a calculator. She started saying things like “I hate math. All I do is learn tricks to solve things I already know how to solve.” I did not want her to hate math- I believe she is very good at it. So I stopped torturing her. The mad minute tests at school are the bane of her existence. She can never finish more than a third of the problems.
    Her teacher did not provide any recommendations for improving writing fluency but did mention DD’s slow speed and inability to keep up with classmates. When DD brought home the writing journal at the end of 2nd grade, it was full of unfinished work, barely a couple of sentences per page. She has no difficulty with forming her letters-in fact she has beautiful penmanship. Even her teacher commented on how she doesn’t write but draws each letter – that is part of the problem. She uses the eraser more than the pencil- everything has to be just right. Her pencil grip does seem weird to me but she says she is comfortable. And as I said before, she can draw for hours and not complain. I have asked her about what is causing her trouble writing and she does not have any real reasons that I could pull out from her. I will try the tests you mention to quantify the issue. Regarding talking to the doctor, can I just make an appointment for this even though it is not really an urgent issue or should I wait 6 months for our annual visit? I have personally observed her palms sweat when asked to write more than a few sentences at a time, so maybe I can request an appointment with the doctor to discuss that.
    Thank you so much for your ideas and recommendations.

L
    OP Offline
    L
    VR00, that is one of my biggest concerns in brining this issue to school. Dd skipped K and has a late summer birthday making her the youngest in her grade. My fear is that the school should not reconsider the grade skip for age appropriate speed issues. Dd is bored in class even with the skip. I would like her to learn new things while not being frustratingly challenged by her weakness.

P
    P
    Lovemydd, a lot of what you've written sounds similar to my dysgraphic ds' experiences at the same age/grade. Please know that there may be other reasons (quite a few other reasons) why you're seeing these issues in your dd, but I wanted to point out the overlaps with dysgraphia just for your knowledge. If you haven't googled dysgraphia yet, you might want to take a quick look.

Originally Posted by Lovemydd
    Polarbear,
    suggested Xtramath.com to improve math fluency. DD hated it and complained about training to be a calculator.

Your dd clearly has something going on impacting her ability to show her work in math... but I did want to point out one other thing... math fact fluency isn't something that's necessarily age-appropriate in 3rd grade, no matter how high a child's IQ or math conceptual ability. Some kids are ready to become "math calculators" in 3rd grade, others aren't going to develop quick fluency with math facts until they're almost into middle school. And really, if you think about it, you don't really need math fact fluency until you get to math such s algebra/etc where you want your facts to be readily-accessible so you can focus on the deeper more challenging work. I realize a lot of elementary school teachers are bought into the math-facts-drills so you have to deal with it on some level, but for *most* kids, who don't have anything else obvious going on, I wouldn't worry about math facts not being automatic in 3rd grade.

She started saying things like “I hate math. All I do is learn tricks to solve things I already know how to solve.”

My kids had this same issue to with the way math is taught in our elementary schools - here a lot of the elementary school math is programmed to "explain" math in ways that people who don't naturally understand math will "get it" - which can be absolute torture for the 50% or more of kids who *do* understand math and can just learn it straight-up smile

The mad minute tests at school are the bane of her existence. She can never finish more than a third of the problems.

Have you ever had her do a "mad minute" for you at home, answering orally instead of writing down the answers? The "mad minutes" were the first place we *really* noticed our ds' dysgraphia kicking in - (before we knew he was dysgraphic). His teacher required students to be able to complete a certain number of math problems correctly before progressing up to the next set of math facts - and ds was stuck on "fact set 1" - forever. This didn't make sense to us, because we knew that ds was good at math. The problem wasn't the calculation - it was the writing - his answers were all correct, but he couldn't write fast enough to complete the work.

It's also possible she could have an challenge associated with calculating the math facts too - having her answer a set of facts orally at home will help you tease out if it's the math that's the issue or her handwriting speed.

She has no difficulty with forming her letters-in fact she has beautiful penmanship. Even her teacher commented on how she doesn’t write but draws each letter – that is part of the problem. [quote]

Actually, that might be part of the diagnosis. That is essentially what dysgraphics do - they draw their letters, because they don't develop automaticity of handwriting. Dysgraphics can have amazing drawing abilities - my ds was so good at drawing that adults jaws would drop when he showed them his work (not saying that to brag, but to illustrate a point). This was one of the reasons we never suspected he had any challenges at all related to fine motor skills or handwriting. My ds is in high school now but if you ask him, he'll tell you he draws his letters, and he has to think about and remember how to draw them each time he uses handwriting.

[quote]Her pencil grip does seem weird to me but she says she is comfortable. And as I said before, she can draw for hours and not complain.

Does her pencil grip when she's writing the same as when she's drawing? When our ds was learning to write, he defaulted to the same pencil grip he used when he drew - it worked well for drawing but wasn't the grip that was taught in school for handwriting. If you google dysgraphia you'll find info on pencil grips - some types of dysgraphia have odd pencil grips, others don't.

I have asked her about what is causing her trouble writing and she does not have any real reasons that I could pull out from her.

She's still young enough she might not really know why she has trouble. My ds didn't really start to be able to verbally express what was challenging about writing until he was around 9 years old.... but otoh, he also has an expressive language disorder in addition to dysgraphia. One thing you could do to see if it's the handwriting or a combination of handwriting + difficulty with written expression is to ask her to "write" the answers to her homework or write a story by telling it to you orally, and compare the output of # of words and ease of output to a similar exercise using her handwriting.

Regarding talking to the doctor, can I just make an appointment for this even though it is not really an urgent issue or should I wait 6 months for our annual visit?

You could start by just faxing or emailing the dr a description of the things you've noted here, express your concern and ask for his/her advice (be sure to mention that your dd's teachers last year and this year have noted the trouble with writing). The dr might recommend an appointment now or instead might make a referral to a private evaluator (that's what happened with us when we realized we needed to figure out what was up with our ds in 3rd grade - we asked via fax, our ped gave us a referral). Our current ped would most likely want to make an appointment first, but they will make an appointment for concerns such as this.

I have personally observed her palms sweat when asked to write more than a few sentences at a time

This is interesting... same thing happens with my ds, happened a lot when he was younger. I never made the correlation to having to write, just thought he was a kid with sweaty palms - but it did happen only when he had to write!

Which brings up another thought... there are a few of us on the list who's children are diagnosed with Developmental Coordination Disorder, which impacts more than just writing (but dysgraphia seems to be associated with it). DS also has some issues with fluctuations in body temperature which I suspect are associated with his DCD... this is probably absolutely *nothing* that is going on with your dd, but if you've noticed she's been slow about other developmental milestones such as walking, learning to ride a bike or tie her shoes, is slow with buttons/zippers etc... it's possible she has either some type of motor challenge or DCD. Please take that with a huge grain of salt though - you haven't mentioned anything so far that is outside of dysgraphia itself, other than organizational challenges (which are common with DCD).

I'd do two things now, possibly 3: 1) email or fax your pediatrician and ask for advice, and 2) consider requesting an evaluation through the school. Make the request in writing, and mention that both this year's teacher and last year's teacher mentioned the speed of her math fact fluency and handwriting as issues. If you'd like specific advice on how to initiate the request etc, let us know. The third thing can wait until you need the advice specifically, or you could make the call now - see if you can find a local parent advocate's group - there may be a group local to you, these groups are federally funded and should be able to provide brief free advice re the advocacy process with school, and they were a *huge* help for me when I was first advocating for my ds because they have *local* knowledge of your school district and quite possibly your specific school and teachers/SPED process etc.

And... I'll add a 4th thing... this I'd start doing now. Scribe for your dd for her homework for the time being (she tells you what she wants to say, you write it down). Let her start keyboarding at home - either by using a program like "BBC Mat Typing" or by just letting her hunt and peck around doing whatever she wants to on the computer. It's not necessary to learn traditional touch typing - students who are slow at handwriting can dramatically increase their output via adapted keyboarding (where they come up with their own key mapping by trial and error).

And... talk to your ds' teacher and ask if she can start trying out a few informal accommodations in the classroom *now*. Oral response for math facts "mad minutes", keyboarding for Language Arts/etc. Your teacher may or may not be willing, but it's worth asking. Once you make the request for an evaluation through the school, the school may automatically start a process called "RTI" (Response to Intervention), in which they could try out accommodations such as keyboarding.

The one thing to be aware of while working through a school eval vs private eval - the school is going to be looking at how to enable your dd to be successful in her academics; the private eval will (if there's an issue) begin the process of creating a map for how to be successful in *life*. Although school and life overlap quite a bit in 3rd grade, these are essentially two different objectives. Having a professional who was not concerned with providing what had to legally be provided through school for one year, but who was able to objectively look ahead at how our ds' challenges would impact him in the long term at different life phases was extremely helpful to me in making a plan for advocacy at school. Hope that makes sense!

L
    OP Offline
    L
    Polarbear, you have given me a lot to process. I have read your post a couple of times already but still need to go through it line by line. Thank you so much for the valuable info. I googled disgraphia briefly and it did not immediately resonate with me but the things you describe about your ds sound very familiar. Dd used to solve multi step math problems involving multiplication and division in her head when she was 4/5. Now she has problems finishing 20 single digit additions in a minute. Her answers are also always correct but unfinished. I will try all the at home tests you mention and report back. Thank you, thank you, thank you😀

V
    V
    Understood. Always a challenge on how you balance those issues.

Have you had a WISC test done? If their are any issues those should have shown up there. If not it is probably just a growing up issue.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM