Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 106 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #232929 08/16/16 03:29 PM
    J
    JandM Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Hi I have a 17 year old son who is gifted and a 9 year daughter old who is also gifted they do not get a long... I know the age difference is hard with any child,but I am finding gifted children have heightened emotions and I'm sure hormones have something to do with it but I am in need of some advice anyone who has gone thru this or is going thru this
    My son is very critical of everything she dose and she takes everything he says to heart and I mean everything and it will eat at her for days or weeks please HELP

JandM #232938 08/17/16 11:28 AM
    A
    AAC Offline
    A
    I think you need to have a frank talk with your son about what he can say and what he should say. If he is NT, there is no reason he cannot police his words and be kinder. He is older, almost an adult, so the largest share of the responsibility of not hurting his sister is on him.

That doesn't mean you cannot help your daughter to learn not to take the things he says to heart. And if it helps her, can you think of some examples of what he was like at that age when you correct him?

My children are not as old as yours, my DSS is 9 and my DD is 2. but when dd was in diapers, he used to comment about how disgusting it was that she wore a diaper. Of course, she was too young to internalize it, but we did tell him that he was in diapers until he was 4, so he had no reason to call her disgusting when he experienced that phase of his life, as well. Hearing you defend her, and remind him that he was not always so perfect is a growth opportunity for them both... he learns a little bit about looking in a mirror before you criticize, and she learns that the big brother that she idolizes, but hurts her, went through the challenges that she did.

JandM #232939 08/17/16 11:35 AM
    E
    E
    Can you give a specific example of one or two things your boy has said that have been hurtful? I think those would be easier to respond to than a general description of "critical," which could mean different things to different people.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent