Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 225 guests, and 33 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by questions
    Interesting, Val, as last year, DS's teachers complained that DS wanted their help on some of his challenge math problems. I was floored - just because he already knows what they're already teaching doesn't mean he's not entitled to be taught something. Either way, it's not good. They just figured they didn't have to worry about your son, but he was getting shortchanged, too.

Hmm. I think you (and mamaandmore in her post) hit on an important part of the problem there. Some teachers see that a child gets everything right without help on some things, assume that he can get everything right all the time, and kids don't get to be TAUGHT anything.

Val

Sorry to get on a soapbox on your thread, questions. But I just really feel that differentiaion--while a lifesaver in the case of certain kids with conscientious teachers--is a lousy, lousy choice for GT policy. Anytime I see it written into policy, I get cranky! I want more!!!

I couldn't agree more with the posts here. Your first quote about the district's enrichment policy could have been cut and pasted from our school's policy. Our school uses the term "differentiation" in glowing terms, as if it is grandest thing for gifted kids. It is the magic salve which fixes everything. In reality, I have tried for two years to find evidence of differentiation: how often it is applied, how much my son is getting out of it, etc.

The only concrete example that I've observed is that the school uses it to described grouping kids into different levels for reading. There may be three groups of kids in a class (6 per group) who are reading at different levels. (slow=half a grade behind, medium= on grade level, and fast= half a grade above) Great. So my son is placed in the fast reading group with five other kids. But this does nothing for a kid who is reading two to three levels above his current grade level.

I have never seen differentiation stretch more than half a grade in any subject matter, for fear of stepping on the next grade teacher's toes. For most of the moderately gifted kids, this is a welcome and appropriate stretch for them. It does not work for kids that need more than that half a grade bump. frown

Our school also has pullout classes (half and hour per week for math, and half an hour for high IQ... 129 or above.) The gifted teacher seems to believe that the kids should not do anything that might let them race too far ahead academically for fear of lightly dancing anywhere near the next grade teacher's toes. So they stick to very safe, non-academic topics. (with heavy emphasis on social development and leadership roles.) frown

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    Really, in a classroom of 25+ kids, 1 teacher, and no aide (typical class size in our district - and I'm assuming most districts), I'm thinking best case scenario for differentiation is the kid will be pulled aside to do work autonomously with no guidance from even a well-meaning teacher. DS6's K teacher balked at giving him anything different from the rest of the class. DS would have loved to escape the tedium and go to a corner and read, do worksheets, etc. on his own. I think in-class differentiation would probably work best with "acceleration" vs. "enrichment" simply because progress is more easily measured. Maybe you could think of some concrete differentiated activities your DS would benefit from and ask the school/district if he could be provided with those. For example, could he be pulled out for self-paced computer learning? Could he have time set aside to do math worksheets that increase in difficulty (i.e., accelerate) as he gets a certain percentage correct?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM