Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #232671 08/05/16 08:47 AM
    tofu Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hello everyone, it's been a while since I've been here. My youngest (now 10) has been suffering terribly from exissential depression for years now. Last night I stayed up with him all night talking about the things we can't control and how people manage those feelings of helplessness. Staying up all night wasn't an isolated incident. It's at least once a week or so that he can't sleep and says he's scared of death and the things he can't change in the world.

Who do I talk to about this? Where do I go to start getting him some help?

TIA

I
    Ivy Offline
    I
    I recommend finding a therapist who specializes in gifted children. If you happen to be in the Portland OR area, PM me and I'll recommend one.

I
    I
    Three ideas:

1) Make sure that you, as a parent, are well-informed
    - SENG archived article: existential depression in gifted individials
    - article on Davidson Database: Dabrowski's theory and existential depression in gifted children and adults
    - article on Davidson Database: existential depression (includes reader's comments)
    - brief youtube video: Dr. James Webb on depression in gifted kids
    - book: Searching for Meaning: Idealism, Bright Minds, Disillusionment, and Hope

2) Consider the list of psychologists and list of professionals on Hoagies website.

3) SENG offers guidance in these articles:
    - archived article: does your gifted child need professional help?
    - archived article: tips for selecting the right counselor or therapist for your gifted child
    - download: tips for selecting a mental health professional

Wishing you all the best!

P
    P
    Can you agree together on one area he can do something and help him work on that? A friends child shaved her head to raise money for cancer at 7 (her idea), raised money other ways, raised awareness of various groups who need help. With my traditional upbringing I find it hard to approve at times but the fact is she is a confident child who stands up for what is right and believes she can make a difference even if she can't eliminate the problem. My unbringing resulted in learned helplessness and depression.

And counselling.

Originally Posted by Ivy
    I recommend finding a therapist who specializes in gifted children. If you happen to be in the Portland OR area, PM me and I'll recommend one.

This seems like the way to go; the sooner the better, because it can take a while to get in with any dr for diagnosis, and then any therapist for treatment, but don't give up if you find many doctors are full or not taking insurance, or take 2 or more months to get an appointment. Get a list from your insurance (if applicable) and just slog through it.

Letting your child know you've made the appointment and that there is good prognosis for getting help at an early age should give reason for optimism.

And yes read up on why this might be occurring for your child. My ds was diagnosed with depression at age 9 or so, however has made a full recovery quickly with good treatment; so far no recurrence (now 16).
    He does suffer some with anxiety still and we just try to keep good tabs on his mood, diet, exercise, etc. and get him back to a dr if needed.

Last edited by chris1234; 08/08/16 04:42 AM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations