Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 437 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    L
    L
    Jayne,
    Yeah, that sounds really difficult. If the university will allow him to attend full-time, it might be better if he skipped the rest of high school. It sounds as if it would be a waste of his time. As for your daughter, perhaps the GED is a good solution, even though it may not look good on applications. If she's been doing advanced work, most colleges will see that she is not the "stereotypical" GED applicant. One of my friends (now out of college) had to do that option when he ran into similar problems with transfer credit, and there were only two schools that cared about a GED rather than a diploma (both small state schools). He also received aid from the schools that accepted him, rather than outside sources that required the diploma... Have you talked with any city officials about your daughter's situation, since you are being asked to pay for programs that should be provided by the district? Sometimes higher up officials can convince the school to accomodate transfer students...

Val Offline
    Hi Jayne,

Do you live in the same city where the University of Utah is (Salt Lake City)? They have early admission for high school juniors and up, so your daughter might be able to matriculate directly. Given how well your son has done, you might inquire on his behalf too.

The program is called Early Admission.

They apparently reduce tuition costs as well (a STEEP reduction, judging by this article).

Val

J
    jayne Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Hi Val,
    I did look into Early Admissions at the universities in the area earlier in the summer. The deadlines were anywhere from March to May 1st. I was too late, and ultimately I was hoping they could earn scholarships through the high school. Early admission cancels out scholarships, except possibly the Univ of Utah program you sent.

I was unaware that the U had a high school program where they could still graduate with their class and receive a diploma. How can they make an exception to the "state requirements?" I am thinking they still hold high school students to them (taking PreCalc at high school, or it doesn't count, etc.) I'm looking into this.

We live about an hour away from the U (Univ of Utah), but they could take a bus together. I called them after reading your post, and so far I am being told that it's far too past their deadline of May 1st. They would go in January. I'm escalating, looking for any loophole to get them in now, unless they too require they take English and math at the high school.

There is a lesser known state university that is closer that they already have both been admitted to for concurrent enrollment at the high school. They could most likely attend it full-time if I sign them up for classes. Unfortunately, it does not have a program the Univ of Utah has, where they can graduate with their class and receive a high school diploma. They would be attending college classes on campus, forgoing their scholarship opportunities, with parents paying full tuition. We are also paying with 1/2 tuition for our first child.

With this school, they still would be subject to take lower classes at high school level for English and math to earn a diploma.
    They both were planning to attend the private university after high school, so I prefer they begin there. The admissions counselor told them, (because we were late in applying) they could both go in January.

So for now, I think we're looking at a semester of high school attendance, then a transfer out to the private school, unless the U (Univ of Utah) will bend the deadline rule and help apply college credit to high school classes that the high school demands for a diploma. I don't like the private univ early admission option in that again, they will be forgoing scholarship money.

Oh, the scholarship in the second link (New Century), that pays 75% tuition is one of two (the other being Regency) my daughter has been working toward in earning an AA. Great article!

thanks!

Last edited by jayne; 08/15/08 11:09 AM.
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by jayne
    They both were planning to attend the private university after high school, so I prefer they begin there. The admissions counselor told them, (because we were late in applying) they could both go in January.

So for now, I think we're looking at a semester of high school attendance, then a transfer out to the private school, unless the U (Univ of Utah) will bend the deadline rule and help apply college credit to high school classes that the high school demands for a diploma. I don't like the private univ early admission option in that again, they will be forgoing scholarship money.

Oh, the scholarship in the second link (New Century), that pays 75% tuition is one of two (the other being Regency) my daughter has been working toward in earning an AA. Great article!

thanks!

So, if I understand you correctly, the University of Utah will let them start in January (and the private school is another college or university)? Starting in January doesn't sound so bad (it's better than 1 or 3 full years). Would they be more flexible if they saw your daughter's results from her college-level work in CA?

That early admission program at the University of Utah sounds very cool.

Val

B
    bk1 Offline
    B
    re: value of AP math vs college courses.

My dh taught college math at colleges and a university. He has said many times that his sharp freshman students coming in with college credits from AP math did not seem as well prepared as the students who'd taken the college course. He said the AP calc courses seemed not to cover some topics, or not cover them well.

bk

K
    K
    For your dd, this might work: Contact the school she went to before you moved. I live in an area where there are a lot of military people moving in and out, and sometimes a hs student can finish the requirements for hs graduation in their old school at the new school. She'd end up with a California diploma, but who cares? The Utah credits would just transfer back to CA.

That probably won't work for your ds, but you can always ask.

There was an article in our newspaper yesterday about a girl who graduated from Hs in June and from the local community college in August. She'd been taking classes at the community college, and the CC accepted her AP credits from the HS. I think it said she took about 10 classes at the CC during her junior and senior years.

J
    jayne Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    So, if I understand you correctly, the University of Utah will let them start in January (and the private school is another college or university)? Starting in January doesn't sound so bad (it's better than 1 or 3 full years). Would they be more flexible if they saw your daughter's results from her college-level work in CA?

Yes, the private school is different, but will also accept both of them in January. My 15yo son initiated a meeting with admissions counselor to discuss taking Calc there this fall. We were told with his scores and grades, he could be admitted, but due to the deadline, he'd have to wait until January. Same thing with the U (Univ of Utah). I'm still trying to work with the U though, since their final admission date for regular students is much later than the private university.

The main problem I keep stating is that if they don't have a high school diploma from our state (UT), they do not qualify for most of the academic scholarships available.

Keet said:
    She'd end up with a California diploma, but who cares? The Utah credits would just transfer back to CA.

I never thought of doing this with the original school in CA! I am considering doing this through a private school out-of-state. There are several schools I have found, who will allow her to earn a high school diploma by submitting transcripts and meeting their crieteria.

Again though - the academic scholarships for our state require a high school diploma for the state we reside in.

For now, I am looking to see if an out-of-state diploma will still allow her to earn some scholarships versus no scholarships. Three kids in college at the same time will be difficult, which makes me hesitate to give up the financial opportunities they should qualify for.

Thanks for helping. You both have given me things to consider, and I really appreciate the understanding and support. smile The timing of the whole thing offers a lot of pressure and stress to the situation.

J
    jayne Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    She'd been taking classes at the community college, and the CC accepted her AP credits from the HS.

I thought I should address this. We are having no problem at all with the state or private universities accepting AP credit or college transfer credits. Everything has transferred with full-credit, not as electives, but fulfilling the college requirements.

We are having trouble with the high school. They will not allow high school classes taken early to account for high school credit, which are required for graduation, or courses taken at the college to fulfill the high school requirements - even if it is the same class name (ie, Pre-Calc) or a higher level course taken at the college.

The colleges have all been very accommodating (except for bending the deadlines I missed). Through early admission, my children will be giving up academic scholarship opportunities that they have been working toward - especially senior daughter who is 9 credits short of her AA.

They are basically being punished for finishing work early for high school while in elem/jr high, and for some of their college courses while being high school students.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by jayne
    We are having trouble with the high school. They will not allow high school classes taken early to account for high school credit, which are required for graduation, or courses taken at the college to fulfill the high school requirements - even if it is the same class name (ie, Pre-Calc) or a higher level course taken at the college.

They are basically being punished for finishing work early for high school while in elem/jr high, and for some of their college courses while being high school students.

So this goes back to the need to write a letter. It's going to be very hard for them to justify their position in a formal document, and you increase your chances of getting what you want.

Val

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...