Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 371 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Q
    Q
    Originally Posted by oli
    Originally Posted by Quantum2003
    If the teacher had to tune it twice in one day, then it is likely either the strings need to be replaced or there is damage to the fine tuners or the pegs. Of course, it is possible that your DD knock it out of tune or the cello experienced a temperature/humidity change during the day. Either way, you should have the rental company check the instrument and repair as necessary.

Do cellos really stay in tune that well? DD often needs to adjust her violin tuning in the middle of the practice or lesson and so does her teacher.

I can't speak to all cellos; however, the few that I have personally tuned tend to stay in tune (within a reasonable tolerance) unless the temperature/humidity changes too much or you accidentally bump the fine tuners or pegs. In my experience, you do need to tune much more frequently when the strings become very worn, although that is a bigger problem with violins than cellos (you can get away with old strings on a cello more so than on a violin). Although I said tune the cello every day, I actually meant check every day because often you may only need to adjust one or two strings or even none, particularly if the instrument hasn't been moved. Of course, there are a lot of variables. For example, the composition of the strings make a big difference. Again, I can't speak for all cellos much less all string instruments - there may be many musicians who do tune their instruments multiple times during a lesson/practice.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Ok, I'm sure this is an idiotic question, but is it possible for her to play it wrong in such a way that it sounds out of tune? I'm sure that the instrument was out of tune. But I don't know (from here on) how to tell if she's playing it incorrectly or if it's a tuning issue.

M
    M
    For now, you need a free chromatic tuner app and watch a youtube video or two on how to tune a cello with a tuner:

Just make sure that IF you have to use the pegs to tune, you push in the peg in as you turn it.

It took me awhile to get comfortable tuning string instruments but once you learn how, it's not that bad. We use a tuning fork and do the rest by ear these days but at the beginning, we used a free tuner app and that was good enough until DD's ears could detect that it wasn't exactly right.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Ok, thanks. I'll see if I can figure this out over the weekend.

Q
    Q
    Originally Posted by blackcat
    Ok, I'm sure this is an idiotic question, but is it possible for her to play it wrong in such a way that it sounds out of tune? I'm sure that the instrument was out of tune. But I don't know (from here on) how to tell if she's playing it incorrectly or if it's a tuning issue.

It isn't an idiotic question and the answer is potentially yes but unlikely. It depends on the number of strings and series of notes she is playing. When it is a little out of tune, notes may just sound a bit sharp or flat but it can be so far out of tune that she is actually playing a different note. For example, she may consistently place her fingers a bit too high or a bit too low, which can mimic a slightly out of tune string. Although unlikely, she may also consistently finger the wrong notes in such a way that every note is shifted higher or lower. However, if the series of notes that she is playing include open string notes, then the melody will sound different.

It may be easier to just download an iPad or android app and tune it for her yourself. You will most likely only have to adjust the fine tuners (turn knobs attached to the front bottom end of strings). You can tune it using pizzicato (pluck the string with your finger) rather than with the bow.

The bottom line is there are so many ways for her to play a piece of music incorrectly that you want to take the tuning issue out of the equation.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM