Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 372 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by acs
    Giving kids permission to ask questions about their schedule is huge!

Yes! I so agree!

Kriston
    I think lots of depend on the receiving teacher. I've heard good stories but I also heard about pretty bad ones. You can always try it for a few weeks with the understanding that if it doesn't work, your daughter can always come back to her regular K. Make sure DD understands that as well.

I am surprised that there are not more children in K who read on your daughter's level. It would be nice if there was a small pull out from all K classes which your daughter could attend.

LMom
    Not to be contrary (as I so often am), but...

Even for a highly social child, depending upon how recesses and lunches and bus rides are set up, subject acceleration has the potential to be a MORE social set-up. After all, you have another entire classroom full of people to befriend. smile And if the child likes older kids and they tend to like him/her, and the child learns early to shrug off the "you're so smart" nonsense, it can be a really GOOD social situation.

I wound up having lifelong friends scattered across three grades: K (my grade), 1st (because the Ks and 1sts had recess together) and 2nd because of reading and shared bus rides with several of the kids in my reading group. When a child can draw from two or three grades for friendships, it makes it a lot easier to find a good fit.

It definitely depends on the child, but I really think that the potential is there for a nice social set up, even for a social kid.

As for differentiation, I think the drawback to it is that nothing is codified by the system, so kids too often have to repeat the differentiated work in later years. That means that you're setting up a GT child to be effectively HELD BACK. I don't like that.

OTOH, a subject acceleration is usually (though not always!) respected throughout the entire school career. It has a bit more "force of law," if you will, than merely getting harder work slipped in here and there.

But of course, every child, every school, and every situation is different. I would never make a blanket statement about what's right for everyone!

Kriston
    An excellent point! Yes, that is one blanket statement I would, indeed, make. And not feel the least bit bad about, to boot! grin

Kriston
    B
    B
    When I taught K, I had several students over the 12+ years that I worked out with the first grade teachers for allowing my gifted reading children to go up for language arts/reading and then they came back into my room for the rest of the day. I didn't have a single negative comment made to me from either the end of the teachers or the end from the parents/child. The children didn't miss out on the "kindergarten" experience and in fact I saw a huge change in the gifted children that went out - they were much happier and I saw a huge difference in the boys in that I didn't see as many behavior problems as I saw before they got to move at their own speed for reading..they weren't bored anymore :-)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM