Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 149 guests, and 43 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by AvoCado
    This all sounds very stressful! Where are you hearing all this information? From DS, or the scribe, or other kids/parents/teachers?
    I know you're working but can you take a couple of afternoons off to sit in on this class? If it were me I'd take turns with DH to turn up randomly to the class during the year just to let her know you're onto her and you're watching her. (Sit menacingly in the back, pointing from your eyes to her … ) I like to see for myself whatever DD complains about - and it always turns out she's right.
    I'm not sure either whether your DS should have to put up with all this just because you're determined not to let her "win" and drive him away frown Good luck with the meeting

It is stressful. DS is so disappointed because he was so excited about this class and she is just awful. Yes, many parents in my neighborhood have complained and fought with this teacher. I have become friendly with a mom who had to pull her son out of the class last year because he was her target last year. The spec-ed resource teacher has observed and told me in confidence that she definitely can see why DS feels that math teacher doesn't want him there. frown She supposedly pulled math teacher aside to talk to her about it...but it didn't help apparently.DS has been complaining she picks on him so I had some of the other moms ask their child who Math teacher doesn't like . They said my DS and reported that she picks on him every day. frown So, he is not overstating the case.

Last edited by Irena; 11/03/15 08:04 PM.
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    But he is not struggling with the concepts at all. However, I feel he might start to struggle, if she keeps putting him down and making him feel stupid.

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Okay well, the meeting went really well. Teacher, principal, vice-principal, resource teacher - no one had any problem with DS not being called on unless he raises his hand. They literally said "no problem at all." Resource teacher made a great suggestion that the time during the class when they are checking over homework - DS could go to her room to check over his homework with her because they said the repetitiveness of checking the homework, which is a lot, is boring to him. So, that will help his stamina attention-wise. So all-in-all it went very well and we have a plan.

So, hopefully things will be more pleasant and tolerable now for him. I am optimistic and feeling much better.

Last edited by Irena; 11/05/15 01:15 PM.
    C
    C
    What a great outcome! Thanks for the update.

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Yes! Thanks for the help everyone!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing