Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    L
    Loy58 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Is this a new trend in education or something? I just received a note from DS's teachers to the parents that they (the teachers) "won't grade the homework" this year, because they assume the parents are going over it with the students?

Well, DYS DS7 does not ever ask for help with homework. It is usually much, much too easy for him (he rushes to finish it as fast as he can). So I don't even look at it (I would prefer to help him with some math that is the right level or discuss a chapter book with him that he is currently reading). I am a bit alarmed to hear that NO ONE will be looking at it this year (can't quite figure out what that is teaching him - nothing good, I suspect)...

Anyone else? Is there a value to this that I am missing?

N
    N
    Besides, what if I'm wrong?

I hope that students can show their homework to a teacher for feedback, but they no longer have to. Also, students won't get Fs for not doing their homework, so your son doesn't need to do it anymore (since it's too easy for him).

Essentially, this may change homework from an obligation to an opportunity to practice.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by Nyaanyaa
    Essentially, this may change homework from an obligation to an opportunity to practice.

Yeah, right. sick They still check that the homework is done, they just don't look at the answers to see if they're right.

P
    P
    I would be tempted to tell them that you don't help your kids do tgeir schoolwork as you assume they are doing their job. It is disrespectful to ask someone to do homework and not give feedback.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by puffin
    I would be tempted to tell them that you don't help your kids do tgeir schoolwork as you assume they are doing their job. It is disrespectful to ask someone to do homework and not give feedback.

I agree completely. IMO, correcting assignments is a major part of their jobs.

Originally Posted by ElizabethN
    Originally Posted by Nyaanyaa
    Yeah, right. sick They still check that the homework is done, they just don't look at the answers to see if they're right.
    So, students who do not do their homework are punished, while students who do their homework earn nothing—not even feedback. It's lose-lose for the students. Whoever approved this? It's beyond stupid.

Is there a way to send an email round to the parents in which you address this, Loy58? Perhaps some quick, combined pressure can stop it in its tracks.

C
    C
    It depends...(well except I don't believe in homework to begin with)

Scenario one...assign homework, go over homework as a group, provide time for student to correct errors and ask question, file homework in binder. I am fine with...no grading here defined as corrected and feedback but grade not entered into grade book. Student who didn't do it required to make it up.

Scenario two...assign homework, check to see if completed, punish if not, never mention it again, no going over, no help...why would anyone even bother. If you never provide the feedback then learning cannot truly happen because you will go through life having practiced it wrong. No grading here means no checking for correct answers and no putting it in grade book.

H
    H
    I thought the point of homework at this age was 1) to practice setting time aside for homework, so practice with organization, and 2) so the teacher has feedback on whether the children understand what is being taught in the class or if they need ot reteach the concepts.

If the teacher does not look at the homework, then they cannot do number 2. I do not think children should receive a grade for the homework, but I think the teacher needs to look at it.

I
    I
    If the teacher who sent the letter home stating that s/he would not be grading homework is employed by a US public school, this may be an issue which your local school board may need to address in negotiations with the teacher's union: a discussion of duties which will (and will not) be performed.

Prior to contacting your local school board, you may wish to check your state laws and school district policies.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM