Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #22434 08/09/08 08:10 AM
    Lorel Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I'm really sad to see this: http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=5520755&page=1

Colin has been excelling in part time college for years. There are some truly ridiculous comments here, such as the one by a school admin who suggests that Colin be put in the 6th grade.

*sigh*

Stories like this and the comments that follow them remind me of just how far we have to go. And they make me sad.

I hope Colin lands on his feet and winds up having a wonderful college experience. Maybe this will be a good learning experience and not just a huge problem? I can hope!

Kriston
    Lorel Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Kriston, did you catch the negative posts regarding homeschooling? I don't see how people can think that we keep our kids locked in the house all day with no contact with others. My gregarious son used to get in trouble in preschool for talking too much and doing too much socializing. At home, he has MORE time to play with friends, not less.

Dottie, I understand your mixed feelings.

I think it's fine for folks to comment that they wouldn't feel comfortable with their child in that situation, but for them to condemn the family and assume that they know the whole story is just irksome. I haven't made the same choices for my children, but I support Colin,Josh, and Jessica's right to choose what they feel is the right thing for their family.

Yes, I saw a couple of anti-homeschooling comments before I got disgusted and stopped reading. It's one of the things (though not the only thing) I was thinking of when I wrote about "how far we have to go."

As I write this, my kids are over at a neighbor's house with a whole gaggle of boys ranging in age from 4-9. They've been running between houses all day, riding bikes, swinging, playing Legos and Transformers, and heaven only knows what else. I've barely seen them since brunch--oh, and we were joined by my son's best buddy for brunch. We call him our "third son" because he's at our house so much.

Yup. My HSed kid is an anti-social hermit, fer sure. <sarcasm, sarcasm> Ah, the misconceptions people have!

Don't let it get you down, Lorel. It stinks, certainly, but I'm more troubled by the personal attacks on that poor family than I am by the dingbats who think we HSers lock our kids in the basement. Ignorance is bliss, after all!

Kriston
    Well, as someone who has pointed out how much of the time in school is spent NOT being social, even when with people...

I completely agree with you that the all or nothing nonsense is precisely that, and I would never say "all day" is spent in line at school. That's patently false. And ridiculous.

But...

I DO think the very people attacking HSing are not thinking about how much of the time spent in school is NOT social, even if the kids are in a group of people. And as a product of the public schools myself, I DO feel qualified to make that statement. I'm not making assumptions about what it's like in public school, as the people who have never had dealings with homeschooling are doing about homeschooling. I waited in those lines for the water fountain or bathroom! I sat in those groups without being allowed to speak! I got the check-minus for talking to my fellow students when I was finished early with my seatwork! I've BTDT!

I guess I'm respectfully suggesting that I think you have it backwards: the "HSers are all social misfits" rant is ignorance, pure and simple, and the "school is often not a very social place" argument is an attempt to get people to really *think* about what constitutes social time, rather than simply assuming that time with people in the room = social time.

I definitely agree that there's no need to overstate the case though. And as I always say, no educational solution is right for all kids.

I'm certainly glad the public schools are there. Heck, my kid would be in our local one if they weren't doing such a lousy job teaching GT kids! frown

Kriston
    LOL! I hear you now, and I COMPLETELY agree! Sorry to have misunderstood. blush

Extremism like that ranks right up there with Slippery Slope arguments in the list of my pet peeves, as in "If we take one step, all heck will break loose and the world will come to an end!!!! Chaos! Dogs and cats living together! Aaauuuggghh!"

grin

Yeah. I can't stand stuff like that.

Logic rules!!! <thrusting one fist triumphantly into the air>

Kriston
    Indeed! But it's a good sermon, so as far as I'm concerned, preach away! laugh

Kriston
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    Honestly, for every early college admit story you read about in the media, I would guess there are 100 more that are not so public? (Lorel, would you agree with that estimate? Perhaps it's even higher!) This is not an issue for a few random brilliant minds, but rather a sizable group that needs support (preaching to the choir, wink !)

I totally agree with this Dottie. It seems like when the media takes on stories about GT kids there is a tendency to sensationalize.

Lorel Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I don't know if I'd bet on that, but certainly there are many early college kids who do not seek media attention and prefer flying under the radar. Colin's family may have decided to go public a few years ago because they wanted to let the public know about PG kids, and that was a valid choice for them. I am very wary however, and though I enjoy reading the positive press on gifted kids, it appears that once a child is in the media, he is fair game for all kinds of speculation and attack.

I will share that I briefly considered sending out the press release that accompanied my son's talent search info. I thought it would be cool for people to see that a homeschooler scored highest in the state. But I decided (and DH was neutral, so it was MY decision) that it wasn't worth the risk. Both my son and I are fairly thin skinned and we'd have a terrible time with even one mean spirited comment.

I can't imagine how Colin and his family are dealing with this. I had an email from Jessica yesterday, but she sent me the links and didn't elaborate much on the mess.

W
    W
    Aside from the negative comments, I think the big issue is the liability the school is worried about. Dormitory -- drinking, drugs. They may be made liable for contributing to a minor, just guessing why the change of mind. And then the big issue is, will other gifted children suffer because of the liability issue and colleges afraid to admit them?

Ren

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs