Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 429 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Hi all,

just wondering if any of you BTDT with skipping first grade asked your child if they wanted to skip or just went ahead with it?

In our case DD would barely know because it is into a composite 1/2 class.

Val Offline
    My daughter skipped kindergarten at a school with a composite 1/2 class. She was aware of what was going on from the beginning, because they tested her to make a decision about the skip. She was very enthusiastic about the idea. For her, it was a big adventure.

You could ask your DD what she thinks about the idea generally without mentioning that you're thinking about it for her. When we brought up the subject with our DD, we told her about the level of work in kindergarten (e.g. learning to identify numbers and letters; she was doing addition of two-digit numbers in her head and reading chapter books when they tested her the spring before she started). This information helped her make an informed decision (e.g. "I do NOT want to learn about the letter B!").

A
    A
    Yep, we asked. Wanted to make sure it was worth fighting the school on it before we got started. Not sure what we would have done if she'd said no! Talked her into it I suppose, but she was enthusiastic as anything (the school wasn't unfortunately).

T
    TNC Offline
    T
    We had the same question last year, and decided to ask DD's opinion. In the end she decided she would like the opportunity to learn something because not much learning was going on in Kindergarten. She was skipped mid year to 1st, and it was a good move. In hindsight I believe it would have been a mistake not to allow her the opportunity to participate in the discussion.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks - DD is approaching the end of kindergarten equiv here. The teacher took me aside this morning and told me I needed to decide if I wanted her to be skipped to 2nd grade next year (Jan). I know she is concerned about the social/emotional side of this but I am not.

I will talk to DD, basically though I can't think of anything she would say that would change my mind. She has just completed year 2 LA and has started year 2 math with her current teacher(can do more at home) plus she is quite mature and has friends in the current 2nd grade cohort.

I'm feeling very happy that the school has suggested this rather than it coming from us, although I am wondering how long it will work for...

E
    E
    When we have decisions like this, we've told our DD (now 11), that the decision is ours to make, not hers, but that we want her opinion and we will take it seriously. I don't want to put the whole burden of a possibly wrong decision on her at her age, so we make the final call. But I don't want her to feel like she has no agency at all, either.

A
    A
    I listened to my DS (now age 8) when he was in K and he wanted to stay in K because he was obsessed with trying to fit in that he lost sight of his academic boredom. After that experience, we do not ask for his opinion - the paperwork for subsequent skips were done before we told him what was happening - because, we realized that DS was too young and too immature to prioritize what was important to his academic growth. He was nervous about the skip, asked me angrily why I did such a thing to him (gave me a lecture on free choice and how I took it away from him), then looked over the new curricula and was suddenly very excited that he did not know many concepts in there and then, his close friend got grade skipped too and showed up in the new classroom and he knew 2 other boys there from his chess club and he was all set in the new classroom! He thanks me constantly for "going behind his back" and skipping his grade because he is learning things that are new to him at school.

All this to say that in my experience, parents should make the decisions when it affects how a young child spends 7 hours of their waking time every day.

P
    P
    [quote=Mahagogo5]Thanks - DD is approaching the end of kindergarten equiv here. The teacher took me aside this morning and told me I needed to decide if I wanted her to be skipped to 2nd grade next year (Jan). I know she is concerned about the social/emotional side of this but I am not.

I will talk to DD, basically though I can't think of anything she would say that would change my mind. She has just completed year 2 LA and has started year 2 math with her current teacher(can do more at home) plus she is quite mature and has friends in the current 2nd grade cohort.

When you say she has completed year 2 LA do you mean she has met the national standards for after 2 years at school? Just asking because as far as I can tell there isn't such a thing as year x language arts or maths at our school because there are no texts or consistency between classes.

Only asking because ds6 wasn't allowed to go up last year because he wasn't ready enough to over-ride their completely arbitary cut off of 31st March and is now working more or less at the top of his year 1/2 class with kids who will go to year 3 next year while he gets left in year one because he is "immature' or maybe he is something else. He meets the standards for after 3 years in reading and would probably be at standard for maths at that level.

Last edited by puffin; 10/14/15 11:28 PM.
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Hi puffin, she is at the end of after 3 years of school for reading and 2 years for math. I think they prob wouldn't have gone with it except she was a non reader on day 1 ( may) and has done 3 years work in 2 terms so they can see how fast she is without being able to claim I coached her at home before school. It helps tremendously that DD is an old soul and just looks out of place with the kids around her and spends every lunch with the older kids. It's a small school so I think they are able to notice it more.
    Besides which like your ds she only just missed the cut off to be classed as year 1 so I think she really is just going to where she should be anyway. I think the real problem will be when it clicks that she'll only need a month or2 in year 2 before being ready for year 3 - she doesn't skip stuff just learns it fast so she'll still need to do the work.

P
    P
    So is the plan for her to go to year 2 or year 3 next year? How is she for writing. Both my kids are weaker in writing which adds problems. I am hoping ds6 gets put in a year 2/3 class next year if they have one so he can work at year three level even if the insist him being year 2.Until he flipped and had an immense and violent meltdown on Monday I was hoping they would reverse their stance and put him up to year 3. He is not as quick as your daughter though he tends to learn erratically so he jumps then plateaus while he focuses on another area.

I hope it goes well.

OK it is a 1/2 class. Make sure she is classified as year 2. She should be with a May birthday but they may automatically reclassify her as a year one again. You don't want to change schools or have a principal change and find the skip was never official. My eldest had a late March birthday so he was not much younger when he went into year 2.

Last edited by puffin; 10/15/15 05:15 AM.
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM