Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 309 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    C
    cmguy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Wondering what board games folks think work well for the 3-6 year old set?

DD3 likes one game A LOT, but we are trying to broaden the repertoire.

A
    A
    DS-almost-4 likes Monopoly, Scrabble, Blokus, Battleship, and Katamino. I think he might like Clue, but we haven't played it yet. He's too immature for chess, but other kids at the same age might not be.

We bought Robot Turtles for him last Christmas, but it's bland. After one or two rounds, you've seen it all.

Pretty much any chance-based game that doesn't involve some degree of calculation or strategy is summarily rejected.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    E
    E
    Try Spot It, Set, or Can't Stop (the first two require speed, so you may need to handicap yourself). Oh, and Lanterns (a recently published game from Foxtrot Games that I've been seeing on a lot of shelves lately) would probably go over well. And Hive is kind of chess-like, but games are substantially shorter.

For the older end of the range, my kids (7 and 11) both enjoy Prime Climb, although we have to help the 7-year-old a little with figuring out his options each turn.

E
    E
    DH is a table top game enthusiast so we have a lot of games around the house.

DD6 likes Game of Life, Connect Four, Battleship. There's a card game called Mille Bournes that she always wants to play. She just got a game called Formula D that is her current favourite. We also play a lot of card games like Crazy Eights and Old Maid (I hate that name!).

When she was 3-4 she liked playing Guess Who and Busy Town Airport, as well as my favourite, Hungry Hippos.

We have some educational games such as Rockin Dice or Math Squared that are fun and help build math skills. We've also introduced her to checkers.

DH and I play a lot of table top games and she is usually my partner. My current favourite is Forbidden Island.

E
    E
    OOOo PayDay and Trouble! Those are really popular here!

M
    M
    Dd5 enjoys all the classics, chess, snakes and ladders, draughts, guess who, connect 4, any memory games ( there are some fun ones out there). We haven't really gotten into the "gifted games" yet but I'm sure we will one day. I remember loving boggle at that age

C
    C
    Pic Wits -- this is our current favorite family game. Our five-year old loves it, while he can't always read the caption cards, we handle that part and he's a master at playing to the judge.

F
    F
    Rat-a-tat-cat

It's quick, involves a combo of strategy and luck, and is great for preschoolers.

B
    B
    I would look at www.boardgamegeek.com. There should be a breakdown or list of suggestions for kids of various ages somewhere on that site. You can read, in detail, about just about any game imaginable, including ratings/reviews.

E
    E
    Sent you a PM, eyreapparent.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students