Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 367 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    _
    _Angie_ Offline OP
    OP Offline
    _
    cut

Last edited by _Angie_; 06/01/16 12:24 PM. Reason: privacy
    A
    A
    I'm no expert but I wouldn't start forwarding incriminating emails to other staff just to get people in trouble, I'm sure no good can come from that. Like Spaghetti says you've let her know you're well-informed and watching her every move smile You probably just want to keep jollying her along now rather than get into a blame storm so I'd keep it reasonably light by saying something like you weren't aware after talking to teacher that writing the IDEP was underway but if that's the case please make sure you're involved.

C
    C
    What AvoCado said, I think. In her mind, maybe "in the process of" means "it's on my list for next week."

Now that she says she's submitted the scores online, does that take care of the expiration issue? (Might be worth confirming that the Central Office has them, though.)

E
    E
    In general, when people lie to me, I get better results from confusion than anger. If you say, "Really? When I talked to his teacher on Monday, she said she was waiting for you on the IDEP. Could you please circle back with her, just to be sure that she's not waiting for you to do something while you're waiting for her to do something?"

Then do call the central office and confirm that she scores have actually been submitted online. If they haven't, email her, and tell her, "The central office still doesn't have his scores, but I know that you told me you submitted them. Could you please double check with them and make sure they went through? I know these electronic systems can be really confusing."

_
    _Angie_ Offline OP
    OP Offline
    _
    Thanks for keeping me on the constructive side of things.

I have an email into the central office asking about the details on the scores. I'm hoping at the very least that is taken care of but they didn't really answer the question last time I asked. They just said it would only take a few days once they had the scores.

_
    _Angie_ Offline OP
    OP Offline
    _
    Also, it's really hard not to take this personally.

I can't remember the last time an adult lied to me. It's really disrespectful.

Focusing on the outcome and what will get us there. Sigh.

_
    _Angie_ Offline OP
    OP Offline
    _
    Okay, unrelated, BUT. I'm so excited I just signed my son up for his first Super Saturday!

They had a math session and a lego session that he will absolutely love.

Hoping to enjoy a single day that isn't an uphill battle and hoping to get some in person support from other parents trying to navigate the district's system.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by _Angie_
    Also, it's really hard not to take this personally.

I can't remember the last time an adult lied to me. It's really disrespectful.

Angie, I wouldn't take this personally at all. Chances are that whatever is behind the situation here (could be laziness, could be not caring, could simply be a person who is overworked in a part time job, could be any number of reasons)... but chances are it has nothing to do with you or your ds personally - other parents are probably receiving the same type of responses/non-responses. If the issue behind this is an incompetent teacher who isn't straightforward and tries to cover her own tracks... chances are the district is aware of it because chances are it's happened before.

I do think that things will be ok - even on the off chance that at some point the district came back and said your ds needs to be retested because scores are older than one year, you have these email conversations now to prove the scores were submitted within one year. If you stick to your advocacy to use these scores, they most likely will use them. Administering another test would cost the district staff time and money. The AIG teacher also said in the email above that your ds would be id'd as gifted in math and reading, so if there's any question, bring that email back up at that point in time and ask what has changed.

I also wouldn't forward emails to the teacher/etc just to prove someone is not being honest. Keep your focus on advocating for your ds, be polite, be respectful yourself even if you feel like you aren't receiving respect, and just keep advocating. Rather than focus so much on the expiration of test scores when advocating, I'd also try to turn the focus to what your ds needs at school in terms of academics and why identification as gifted is important now, not later.

Best wishes,

polarbear

_
    _Angie_ Offline OP
    OP Offline
    _
    Thanks. You're right, I know.

Right now he doesn't need anything, honestly. I was just trying to get him identified and get to know the school support staff, for when he does need something.

Maybe it's good in the sense that I now have realistic expectations. It certainly didn't build up the trust in each other that I was hoping for when I started the process.

I'm really hoping for single subject acceleration for math next year in 1st. I can't even imagine what that will take after this experience. But that's a completely different topic.

I was hoping it would be straightforward since there is a framework for it built into the district policies, but I can see now that even following existing processes can take a lot of work.

I think you're right. It was a disappointing process, but I think it'll be okay and we're going to get it worked out. Thanks again for the perspective, it is helpful.

I guess it's not the end of the world if he gets retested, as long as they pay for it. :P. I think he'd score better the second time around, honestly. Seems like SUCH a waste though, yikes.

C
    C
    They will need to use a different test.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students