Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 105 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #222302 09/14/15 08:18 AM
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    DD10 has a 504 for ADHD (inattentive type) which I questioned you all about the other week. She just started middle school after accelerating from 4th to 5th last Spring. I anticipated a train wreck this year knowing her EF skills (or lack thereof). Amazingly, she has managed to get homework to and from school - so far. I am waiting for the other shoe to drop. I made one major change to her back pack - put all the homework in just one folder so she wouldn't have it spread between 5 different notebooks, but I can't imagine that that one item would make the difference between lost homework and successful drop off to teacher.
    So, I have been sent an invitation to a 504 meeting to discuss how it's working. At this point the teachers will say she is doing great! What has disappeared on several days are pencils and lunches (so she didn't get to eat at school because she hates school food). I worry about losing the accommodations we have and never mind about asking for the opportunity to send in work electronically.
    My one absolute have to have for the 504 is opportunity to do work on the computer. The difference between handwritten and online can be huge. Would it be as simple as bringing in handwritten work and the pieces she types to visually show why that accommodation is still needed?
    Is it really possible for a kid to go from weak EF to pretty darn good EF skills this quickly? She is doing better at home as well and not yelling at me that I am a liar when I explain that I already told her to do something three times so PLEASE DO IT NOW!! I still have to ask for a task to be done multiple times, but she has a better attitude and sometimes jokes about our memory issues (yep, mine can be pretty awful as well).

G
    OP Offline
    G
    Update - 6th grade principal just called, and all sounds very positive. He has no intention of discontinuing the 504. Instead gave me lots of ideas on how it could be better implemented!

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Excellent!

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent