Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 246 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    We're currently discussing matter and particles for science. DS6 has been obsessed with particle physics since he first heard about string theory in response to his question about the smallest particle about 6 months ago. But, I feel like he's missing a lot of basic knowledge and we're trying to fill in some gaps.

So, today we're talking about particles. DS4 is totally getting into the discussion on matter and particles and asking his own questions and listening as DS6 tells him that particle is made of atoms, I fill in the parts of the atoms and then from nowhere DS6 asks if you can split an atom. So, then we're off googling nuclear fission and I'm trying to explain about neutrons and atomic weights and why the uranium becomes unstable then splits (which I haven't thought twice about since 9th grade chemistry, lol). He finally seems to get it somewhat and then he wants to know more about the protons, neutrons, and electrons. We're talking about how they make up an atom and then a light bulb goes off "Oh! And that's what the strings make up!". So, I think we're winding down this whirlwind discussion on topics I have no business trying to explain to a 6 year old and he starts in (again) on how strings have to be made of something because everything is made of something.

And now my head hurts. I love that he finds this stuff so interesting, but sometimes it makes me dizzy how quickly we run through topics.

LOL!!
    I'd go find some good used non-fiction books by Isaac Asimov.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Asimov

Scroll down to the non-fiction part. Start with the first one (Fact and Fancy) and go from there. They are a good general introduction to classical physics, scientific method, general science ideas, atomic physics, light, etc. Very readable for HG+ kids. You will enjoy them yourself.

I'd see about buying them used as they should be re-read several times! I know I wore my copies out!!

When he can do Algebra, I'd get him a set of the Feynman Lectures on Physics.

Rent the Cosmos (Carl Sagan) DVDs now.

The problem with string theory is that its still a conjecture, same as dark matter. The latter is looking like its on its last legs.

Last edited by Austin; 08/05/08 02:01 PM.
    K
    K
    Wow - we're living parallel lives! Yesterday we were just talking about protons, neutrons, electrons, and how different elements are configured differently.

We're going to be homeschooling this fall and I'm having some crazed moments during these discussions thinking about doing this full time! crazy

Einstein's Theory of Relativity and famous formula E=mc2 gave me my headache yesterday. My dd had to do a presentation for her CTY science class on Albert Einstein and I got to learn all the physics I ever want to know in one day.

It was actually fun. I think I had one of those WOW, she is really smart moments yesterday when I heard her presentation. She totally got it!

What do you mean dark matter is on it's last legs?

I depend on NOVA Science to explain these things to DS8 lol.

Originally Posted by Dazed&Confuzed

I depend on NOVA Science to explain these things to DS8 lol.

Speed of Light

Last edited by Austin; 08/06/08 10:32 AM.
    Originally Posted by bianc850a
    Einstein's Theory of Relativity and famous formula E=mc2 gave me my headache yesterday. My dd had to do a presentation for her CTY science class on Albert Einstein and I got to learn all the physics I ever want to know in one day.

It was actually fun. I think I had one of those WOW, she is really smart moments yesterday when I heard her presentation. She totally got it!

Have her check out Louise's website. Not only is she smart, a Cosmologist, but she has a secret past! Maybe your DD can figure out what it is that she used to do!!

http://riofriospacetime.blogspot.com/

And here is another cool site.

http://www.fighterchicks.com/

Thank you Austin, I will have her check them out when she comes back from camp.

You are so resourceful!!

L
    L
    "Alice in Quantumland" by Robert Gillmore is a good introductory book that's entertaining, too. Also, a little bit more technical is "The Quantum World" by Kenneth Ford. These books discuss many topics in particle physics without going into calculus or assuming significant physics and chemistry knowledge. Both are good introductions to quantum and particle physics.

I go away for a week on vacation on come back to find you all discussing DNA on one thread and particle physics on another thread. I missed you guys!! grin

Ah yes, we spend quite a lot of time discussing particle physics, dark matter, black holes, and other fun things that make the mind say wow.

Just remember, Mamaandmore... all atoms are made up of particles such as protons, neutron, and electrons... and all of these are made up of quarks, which come in six flavors... up, down, charm, strange, top, and bottom... and are held together by gluons (pronounced Glue-Ons), and all quarks are thought to be made up of strings which are energy vibrations in 11 dimensions. And who says physicists don't have a sense of humor!! Just keep those questions coming from those little minds. It is a great way to make their brains question the known universe and stretch and grow.

Here is a video that I just found on the internet that might help explain it.
    http://discovermagazine.com/twominutesorless
    Click on the String Ducky.
    I'm not sure that they get everything right, but hey... it is just a two-minute video.

I'm pretty sure that Dark Matter is alive and kicking. Unless they just found out something while I was sitting on a beach without a speck of news. Several people have claimed to have detected dark matter in the last six months, but I'm not sure if it panned out or not.

I just read a fascinating article on Dark Energy in the 2008 issue of Discovery Magazine entitled, What Fills the Emptiness?
    http://www5.mygazines.com/magazines/view/442

They think that when the Large Hadron Collider comes on-line soon that they will be able to detect the elusive particle called the Higgs boson.
    Besides virtual particles and dark energy, theorist believe that the universe contains something called the Higgs field. Like dark energy, the Higgs field is thought to permeate all of space. But unlike the discovery of dark enery, which was completely unexpected and is still inexplicable, the detection of the Higgs field won't surprise physicists at all....
    It is a very fun article to read. In the same issue, they have another article on the Large Hadron Collider called The Menace of Mini Black holes. The theory goes that the LHC may have enough energy to not only smash particle to bits and look inside, but to also create mini black hole. There is some debate as to whether their experiment will cause the end of the Earth or not. <smirk> I wouldn't exactly share that particular thought with any of the kiddos for fear of causing science anxiety, but the rest of the article does a wonderful job of explaining string theory and how it may combine to gravity.

Maybe in addition to the Word of the Day, we need a Science Tid-Bit of the Day?

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    Oooh! I like it, ebeth! Bring on the science tidbits, please!! smile

Kriston
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Oh, man, I completely forgot about quarks! That is a very helpful explanation though, thank you! I really appreciate all the resources and advice, I'm sure we'll use it all at some point since this topic keeps coming back up.

Sometimes I think he asks me these things just to see my eyes go blank and hear me stammer for a minute as my mind blows, lol.

I've found that my DS8 doesn't ever ask a question unless he has already thought through an answer. So I usually turn the question back on him and ask him what he thinks. That at least buys me a few minutes to rack my sleep-deprived brain for some semblance of an answer. smile

The link I provided above for the String Ducky is really pretty simplistic. It explains string theory in terms of a cute rubber ducky. Very kid friendly.

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    Thanks for the info ebeth!

OK - my eyes just glazed over watching the rubber string ducky thing. I guess i'm not ready for string theory yet! Kid friendly, humph... now my head hurts!

but I am all for a Science Tidbit of the day. Bring 'em on! i love this board. smile

I like the idea of Science Tidbit of the day also.

I loved the rubber ducky video. I thought it did a good job of explaining the general concept in non-professional physicist terms!

I did show it to DD's, they didn't seem to grasp the main idea of it, even though they have a good understanding of atoms, electrons, nuetrons, etc.

Oh well! I thought it was great!

As for the dark matter debate, I found this article today at National Geographic:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/08/080811-dark-energy.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs