Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 106 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #221314 08/26/15 04:19 AM
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    Has anyone had a child who took the MASC assessment? It is a self-report, measures anxiety (multi-dimensional).

DS12 did this as part of his neuropsych eval and all scores were in the average, slightly below average range--with one exception that was slightly above.

My interpretation is that he does not self-report any significant anxiety symptoms.

It is not discussed in the report, probably because it wasn't a significant piece of the puzzle?

Since he was previously diagnosed with GAD (a few years ago), and I see what appear to be anxiety related behaviors, I'm confused.

NP commented that DS has chosen "not caring" (avoidance and denial) as his primary coping skills. He stated this, in so many words, in the evaluation.

So--I guess it's good that he isn't anxious smirk but I wonder if self-report measures for children who aren't at all in touch with their emotions are valid.

Anyone have any thoughts about this? We certainly don't see any perfectionism (in fact would prefer a bit), although the program coordinator suggested to me that I shouldn't push DS to do his "best work" on assignments because that would encourage perfectionism. I'm not sure what to think about this. He needs to do his best work, even if that means meeting minimal requirements, to make progress at school.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I've used the MASC in the past. I find it to be more useful with younger children than with adolescents. I do also find it underestimates anxiety symptoms in children who are particularly not introspective, or who are reticent (e.g., those on the autistic spectrum, those who are more withdrawn, those with some dissociative/detached qualities).

Remember that a diagnosis should never be made based on a single data source.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    Originally Posted by aeh
    I've used the MASC in the past. I find it to be more useful with younger children than with adolescents. I do also find it underestimates anxiety symptoms in children who are particularly not introspective, or who are reticent (e.g., those on the autistic spectrum, those who are more withdrawn, those with some dissociative/detached qualities).

Remember that a diagnosis should never be made based on a single data source.
    This is exactly what I was wondering, thank you--especially because of the ASD, withdrawn, dissociative/detached qualities.

I've also found professionally that I can work with an adolescent with ADHD or relational difficulties, for instance, for months before finally "stumbling" upon anxiety (after much rapport building). This makes me consider my approach.

I think there are some implications for DS' treatment plan, both medical and psychological. Knowing what we need to address seems pretty critical. I would have described DS as highly (but atypically) anxious and also depressed. Evidently, he does not self-report these symptoms (on MASC or CDI), but I'm guessing it's a matter of his answering kind of A) in the moment and B) not introspecting...at all.

E
    E
    For what it's worth, both parent questionnaires and teacher reports showed a high level of anxiety in my DD11 (who has ASD), and her self-reports showed none at all. She is bewildered by the idea that we think she is anxious, just because she does things like develop a stomachache and have to be picked up early from her first school dance.

E
    OP Offline
    E
    Originally Posted by ElizabethN
    For what it's worth, both parent questionnaires and teacher reports showed a high level of anxiety in my DD11 (who has ASD), and her self-reports showed none at all. She is bewildered by the idea that we think she is anxious, just because she does things like develop a stomachache and have to be picked up early from her first school dance.
    Thanks, this is what I'm thinking is going on, probably. DS' anxiety manifests in somatic ways, also, along with withdrawal and refusal to communicate. I didn't do a report but the teacher data on BASC indicates Hot Mess (last spring, he is much more stable presently).

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent