Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #220904 08/17/15 02:44 PM
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    DD10 has always been a big reader - in the bathroom, the car, while walking, you name it. She was on a graphic novel kick for a long time but consistently likes non fiction the best. HOWEVER, she picks out such low level books at the library. It's just baffling to me. She loves the encyclopedia-type books with loads of pictures, and today she came home with books leveled at third graders. She starts 6th grade next week! She is always in the top reading group at school and was recommended for advanced reading this year (even after being grade skipped this past Spring). I asked her awhile back why she picks such short easy books (she reads the books in a nano second and then tosses them aside). She stated something along the line of she hates to look at all the text. Is there something going on visually? The ADHD inattentive issue? Graphic novels are broken up by pictures. Younger kid books have bigger fonts. Yet, she grabbed the Harry Potter book we are reading aloud each night, and she read way ahead the other day. What gives?

M
    M
    I don't have an answer for you but I am curious to see what the experts say as my son has the same issue! He is a voracious reader - can read 7 hrs a day on weekends, retaining what he reads which is mostly non fiction/history. He is only 7 entering second grade but also prefers less text and is intimated by books without pictures even though he can read and comprehend them easily. He likes the "You wouldn't want to be and Who Was series along with graphic novels and Calvin and Hobbs. He has a documented tracking and convergence problem and has been in Vision Therapy treatment for 8 weeks.

B
    B
    DD also picks books that are too easy and I think it has something to do with her ADHD/EF issues. She is a super fast reader and read Harry Potter in a couple hours a couple years ago (when she was about 7) but I don't see her progressing much in terms of the level of books she reads. When she does jigsaw puzzles she does not spread all the pieces out, like most people would, she pulls them out of the box one by one. I asked her why she does that and she says it causes anxiety to see too many pieces all at once. I see reading large books with small print as possibly being the same way. It's just "too much". She likes pictures, words that are not too difficult, and big print. I'm not sure how important it is to "force" them to read books that are at a more appropriate level.

E
    E
    You might see if you can find large-print editions of appropriate level books, and ask her if she likes them. That would separate the font size from the other appealing qualities of low-level books.

M
    M
    Do you have a tablet or a kindle that she could use? One of my sons increases the font size using the kindle or the kindle app until there is a lot of white space because he doesn't like heavy text. It is also possible to increase the line spacing.

A lot of libraries have electronic lending now, so you could still borrow library books.

P
    P
    Been stressing this year about very similar questions. DS11 reads fast and easily, and tackled complex texts (especially but not only non-fiction) many years ago. Although he wasn't an early reader took off fast once he began. But it seems the older he gets, the more reluctant he is to take on books at levels he read years ago. With a stack of interesting novels - selected by him from the library - and cool non-fiction at his bedside, he continually picks up Calvin and Hobbes for the nth(to the nth) time instead. He tells me he wants to relax, and that means reading something easy.

I worry I've just let him spend waaayyy too much time watching Minecraft videos, and now real reading feels like too much work. But maybe there's something more too - I still have questions about expressive language with this one, and I'm not quite sure what else. Have ruled out eyes, but it's still an interesting question whether an e-book lacking visible size or text density would feel less overwhelming and more "relaxing".

Following thread close and looking for ideas!

G
    OP Offline
    G
    Originally Posted by momoftwins
    Do you have a tablet or a kindle that she could use? One of my sons increases the font size using the kindle or the kindle app until there is a lot of white space because he doesn't like heavy text. It is also possible to increase the line spacing.

A lot of libraries have electronic lending now, so you could still borrow library books.

Interesting idea! Our library does have electronic lending. I am going to check this idea out and the other recommendation about finding large size font books.

G
    OP Offline
    G
    Originally Posted by Platypus101
    I worry I've just let him spend waaayyy too much time watching Minecraft videos, and now real reading feels like too much work. But maybe there's something more too - I still have questions about expressive language with this one, and I'm not quite sure what else. Have ruled out eyes, but it's still an interesting question whether an e-book lacking visible size or text density would feel less overwhelming and more "relaxing".

Following thread close and looking for ideas!

DD is a Minecraft video addict as well. I think it will be good for school to start so she will have less time to watch these things!!!! She creates worlds as well, but just loves to watch other people blow stuff up and create "moo shrooms" (is that how you spell it?).

B
    B
    Mine went through this phase too. I wasn't opposed to her actually PLAYING minecraft, but then she was watching videos more than playing and the videos seem like such a waste of time.

K
    K
    Following as well. DS10 still reads some books that are not graphic novels, but even those are mainly Murderous Maths and similar. Gone are the days when he'd read HP or Percy Jackson all afternoon. He mostly brings home Garfield and Peanuts from the library, with an occasional Wimpy Kid and the like. I have tried strewing novels that I think he'd like, with little success.

Yeah, I'm stressing about it, but trying not to. I get to pick our audiobooks, so he is getting some literature every week. Sometimes I'll read the first chapter aloud (which often results in him reading the rest of the book), but he's increasingly resistant to being read to. It's just weird to see such a change from a year or two ago. Thank goodness for books like Cartoon History of the World and Manga Guides. smile

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent