Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 208 guests, and 7 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    Originally Posted by blackcat
    To answer your initial question about EF issue vs. language issue, I guess it depends on whether he is like this with other assignments. Last year the teacher would write a starter sentence on the board as well as a concluding sentence, and the kids had to fill in the middle with some sort of story. DD could not do that at all, and became very anxious about it. She also did not want to do research papers, even if the teacher gave a list of specific questions she wanted answered. DD did not know how to organize all the information into paragraphs.

I put in a written request to the district detaling what my exact concerns are. The OT came back with a couple appropriate tests to test for motor deficits (which all came back OK), but otherwise all they wanted to do was an achievement test for writing, that did not even include extended writing ability. If you want extended writing ability tested, make sure you specify that as one of your concerns, otherwise they will try to give him the WJ-Ach where kids don't have to write more than 3-4 sentences at a time to get a good score. Also write that you want them to review his writing done independently in class.

Even though I thought I was very specific about my concerns, including asking for a meeting to discuss them (which they granted) they still came up with a completely inappropriate evaluation plan, claimed they are not responsible for any "neuropsych testing" (even though the type of testing I was asking for was listed in the State evaluation manuals), and they stonewalled and acted passive aggressive. Ultimately I had to make them pay for an IEE, and the evaluator ended up confirming most of the things I was concerned about which the school had disregarded, like poor fluency, EF deficits, poor writing, etc.

In order to tease out motor ability vs. EF, you need to have different kinds of tests done. For instance DD scored really well on the tests of visual motor integration, but had a horrible score on the Rey Complex Figure test, which also involved motor skills, but her really poor organizational ability showed up on that but not the others. Then we knew it was more of an EF issue than motor issue.
    Okay--DS does research papers without too much trouble, although they are a little stilted and immature. Not sure how he'd handle the "fill in the middle" writing, but I suspect it would start out strong, go off in some strange divergent direction, wander off into some absurd non sequitur (probably a joke about something) and then land at the end. And would be seen as defiance or refusal.

DS did well on VMI but did not take the Rey Complex Figure test. So many tests out there, hard to know where to start. I don't think there is even an Independent Evaluator in our city--although I guess I could ask the school.

Thanks for advice about what to request. It's all overwhelming.

B
    B
    You can pick anyone you want to do an evaluation, but the district may have a list of "criteria" for instance not paying for a person who is charging exorbitant fees, is outside your geographic area, uses non-standard tests, etc. The district gave me a list of psychologists but I ended up going with someone off the list. Since it was a neuropsych/educational psych at a major university, the district couldn't really argue with it. I know that you just had an eval, but I think you need other tests that were never done. She was focusing on ASD and didn't do any language testing, EF testing, etc.

What you need to do is let the school district do an eval, and if you don't think it addresses your concerns, you write the sped director a letter stating that you don't agree with the eval, or it didn't address your concerns, and you are requesting an IEE at public expense, and to please give you a list of criteria for selecting an evaluator. The school district only has two options. 1) They take you to a due process hearing to prove their eval was appropriate, which can end up costing them more than an IEE or 2) They grant the IEE and you can take him wherever you choose (within reason). School district almost always do #2, but you have to let them try to do a decent eval first.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by eco21268
    DS did well on VMI but did not take the Rey Complex Figure test. So many tests out there, hard to know where to start. I don't think there is even an Independent Evaluator in our city--although I guess I could ask the school.

Your neuropsych is already fulfilling this role for you. You can ask specific questions about writing and EF in the followup meeting.

E
    E
    I realize that this will be really, really hard for you to do, eco, but I think you need to consider not helping him with these assignments. If he turned in his best guess at what it was supposed to be, it would put the teacher on notice a lot better that he was having a problem with grasping the instructions. Part of the reason they summarize your concerns the way you describe is that all of his turned-in work is probably fine, and they don't understand how much you had to do to get him to a place of being able to perform like that.

B
    B
    I think it would be a good idea to help him if he's getting frustrated, but write an email to the teacher stating what his difficulty was, and what you did to help. Then you have those emails as documentation.

E
    OP Offline
    E
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    Your neuropsych is already fulfilling this role for you. You can ask specific questions about writing and EF in the followup meeting.
    Yes, and the hope is he hasn't already graduated HS (or college) by the time I get a report and followup meeting. :P

Originally Posted by ElizabethN
    I realize that this will be really, really hard for you to do, eco, but I think you need to consider not helping him with these assignments. If he turned in his best guess at what it was supposed to be, it would put the teacher on notice a lot better that he was having a problem with grasping the instructions. Part of the reason they summarize your concerns the way you describe is that all of his turned-in work is probably fine, and they don't understand how much you had to do to get him to a place of being able to perform like that.
    I understand your point, but I am in damage-control mode right now, kind of in limbo. I don't ordinarily (in fact, practically never) help DS with his homework. His biggest issue isn't typically the quality of his work, but in actually handing in his work. There isn't a whole lot of this sort of assignment in his classes, and so far it's usually just graded for completion, so it's not affected his grades, per se. I do think it's affected teacher perception: his responses do look apathetic (that has been a constant accusation, and way off the mark).

He has so far, in MS, been wildly unpredictable and can seem fine for awhile and then suddenly tank. Since there is no wiggle room for him at this point (he can't drop below a C, even at quarter reporting), I'm needing to keep a closer eye on him than I typically would.

The writing piece surprised me, because I've never looked at his writing through the lens of "not being able" before. It is always this sort of thing that trips him up--the self-reflective, subjective types of questions.

Originally Posted by blackcat
    I think it would be a good idea to help him if he's getting frustrated, but write an email to the teacher stating what his difficulty was, and what you did to help. Then you have those emails as documentation.
    I didn't actually notice DS was frustrated--but I was. He seemed pretty clueless that what he was doing was unresponsive to the assignment. In the case of this particular class/teacher--the situation is complicated a bit by the fact she is a long-term sub, teacher is on maternity leave.

I do think this was eye-opening, and gives me a solid piece of evidence when I try to explain his struggles at the 504 meeting. The SPED process coordinator *may* be attending--it's unclear--perhaps if she does, I can make my case that this is more than general "unhappiness."

I mentioned NLD to her last year (during the request); she had never heard of it. I also said that I felt IEP had more teeth than 504, legally, but that didn't make the records, either, although she did state I thought the teachers were resistant to following 504 accommodations.

G
    G
    Originally Posted by eco
    Yes, and the hope is he hasn't already graduated HS (or college) by the time I get a report and followup meeting. :P
    I have good luck speeding these things up by contacting the person and stating that the 504/IEP evaluation process has started at the school (you don't have to be super clear as to how far into the process you are...), and the report will be an integral part of the planning process.

E
    OP Offline
    E
    Originally Posted by geofizz
    Originally Posted by eco
    I have good luck speeding these things up by contacting the person and stating that the 504/IEP evaluation process has started at the school (you don't have to be super clear as to how far into the process you are...), and the report will be an integral part of the planning process.
    I've done just that-more than once. Frustrating. I'm going into 504 meeting Thursday with no new data other than verbal "social communication deficit" and six inch pile of horrible emails. Oh, and an advocate. smile

It's okay, though. I've got my armchair doctorate in SPED law, thanks to this forum. I feel encouraged by interactions so far with new teachers, too.

G
    G
    "Our meeting is Thursday. Will I have any data to share with the committee?"

So glad you have an advocate.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent