Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 387 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #220869 08/16/15 07:16 PM
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    Anyone have any recommendations for books or resources that help kids think through moral/ethical situations, like moral dilemmas, and develop moral reasoning? I'm not interested in anything that is based on any particular religion.

Kids are 8 and 9 years old.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Kenneth Merrell's "Strong Kids" is a solid social-emotional learning curriculum (designed for classroom implementation, but no reason you couldn't adapt it for home use) for this age group. Not specifically about moral reasoning, but has relevance for related topics.

http://www.amazon.com/Strong-Kids-Emotional-Curriculum-Curricula/dp/1557669309

Arnold Goldstein's Equip/Prepare curriculum, designed for delinquent adolescents, might be a bit of overkill, but it does include moral reasoning as one of its three prongs (social skills, in the form of Skillstreaming, which I've referenced elsewhere, and anger/aggression control are the other two prongs). "Aggression Replacement Training", by Barry Glick and John Gibbs, is the updated version of this, revised after Dr. Goldstein's death.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Prepare-Curriculum-Prosocial-Competencies/dp/087822419X

http://www.amazon.com/Aggression-Replacement-Training-Comprehensive-Intervention/dp/0878226370

On a different note, www.emotes.com sells fun, child-friendly products and curricula for social-emotional learning, which also overlaps with character education. I haven't actually used their products (unlike the Goldstein and Merrell curricula), but what I've leafed through at convention exhibit halls looks promising, and very appealing to children.

I would imagine that some of the critical thinking products (such as from Critical Thinking Company) could be useful in moral reasoning.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    C
    C
    Search prufrock press for stuff. I know they have a variety of books in this area.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Thanks for the suggestions, I will look them up.

aeh, our district schools use "Second Steps", ever hear of that? Current school does "Responsive Classroom" but I don't know if that actually entails any learning curriculum.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Second Step is also a good social-emotional learning curriculum, with a decent research base. Responsive Classroom is more of classroom management system, though, of course, any really good CM system has some SEL or character education components in it somewhere, even if only incidental. RC is actually more about the teacher than the students.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent