Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 272 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    #22020 08/02/08 06:56 AM
    OP Offline
    http://teachers.net/gazette/AUG08/haskvitz/

Finally, the parents of gifted students must continue to take the time to supplement their child�s education. Studies have shown that IQ scores change over time and that the home environment can make a large difference in this. Thus it is both genetics and the home environment that can help create a young citizen ready for society and the ability to leave the shelter and safety of what is known for the changing demands of civilization.
    If scoring in the top ten percent of an I.Q. test means a child is gifted, then seven million students under the age of 18 are in that same category. There are three million teachers in America and that statistically means that every teacher could have three or more in his or her class.

Top 10% is gifted? that's not 130 is it? Isn't it more like 120s?

I won't argue with that. I won't say 120 is not gifted. However, then we have to have a real discussion about level of giftedness and have the schools acknowledge it.

Now off to read the article. And thanks! This is great. Saturday morning reading interesting articles and drinking my coffee!

Okay, I'll really support that number, especially when it's used for a good cause.

I'm bookmarking that article to take in to my supposed meeting that is supposed to happen before school starts(feeling pessimistic ever?)

I think the fact that it is written by a teacher will give it more weight.

And thank you to all the teachers who are standing up and speaking out!

OP Offline
    No doubt NCLB has hurt the gifted more than any other group as that ill advised program takes needed resources from them under the assumption that the gifted can learn regardless, as district seek to meet minimum goals.

No other group has such a huge variation with those classified as gifted on standardized tests having a possible IQ range of over 60 points. No other group comes close. So although the numbers of students is less in the gifted range, the degree of differences in abilities is immense.

K
    K
    Our district uses a PR 92 as a cut off for gifted programming, so it's not too far off from the 90%. However, there is no talk or recognition of LOG.

I do think it's totally reasonable to use that number. Especially in the wake of NCLB. But definitely look at each kid as an individual and look at LOG.

I really like the Top 11 traits of a good teacher list.

OP Offline
    I like my friend's program. They have a 3-4 tiered gifted program based on IQ and achievement scores.

OP Offline
    At my friend's district, the top tier goes to a self-contained gifted magnet which is DYS level I believe.

Our new school is 128+ on the WISC and all achievement tests (grade level) must be over 95th percentile.

Our old school was teacher recommendation, so it was not regulated by grades, IQ or achievement testing.

C
    cym Offline
    C
    I just went to a Summer Institute for the Gifted with keynote speaker Jim Webb. He said that the bell curve actually has a bump at about 150 level and there are more people in that category than the perfect bell would suggest. I think I believe this. Our PEGS program (>145) had 21 students in grades K-5 last year, and there were probably 1 or 2 who opted not to go. So, 22 kids (in specific age bracket) from a population of about 60,000 (and it's NOT a high tech, professional community where you might think that'd skew it). According to the statistics, I thought it should be more like 6 kids, right? Maybe we should really only be looking at the number of kids in the district (about 10,000) in which case it should be 1 kid. Or maybe I'm not remembering the projected frequency correctly.

W
    W
    Why is 146 considered PG and not EG?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent