Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 285 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Cathy A #2698 05/29/07 01:11 PM
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Cathy A
    I know what you mean about pulling him out having negative side effects. I would really only do that as a last resort (i.e. leaving him in would be MORE damaging.)

See what I mean? How damaged would he have to be before you pulled him? And for what purpose? Just so he can be like everyone else? He isn't. Not everyone is. That is how humans are. We vary. My homeschooling contacts say it is so much easier to get them before they have been damaged - you can always sent him later. Please don't let the priority list thing scare you out of doing what is right. You never know - perhaps the fartherer away school has the just right best friend sitting right there waiting for him in his future classroom.

Actually, are the individual children moved every two weeks. My DS would have loved that, actually! One of my early ideas was to rotate him through all the teachers so he wouldn't have a chance to get bored. (joking)

Bests -
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #2702 05/29/07 04:20 PM
    Well, I'm keeping an open mind. Who knows? Maybe there will be compatible kids in his class. Maybe his teacher will do right by him. I want to give the local school a chance. At the same time, I'm exploring other options so I'll be ready should the need arise.

Cathy

Cathy A #2704 05/30/07 10:54 AM
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Cathy -
    You are so far ahead of the game than I was. When my son was this age I was still in the thick of denail! Sure my son was bright, like all the other folks in my family and friendships, but he'd be fine, right?

You are in great shape, because when damage starts happening to your son, if he is vocal, then you will know what to do. When the school started noticing that something was "different" about my son in 2nd grade, it took years to get things right, because I went chasing butterflies in so many directions first! It really didn't dawn on me that school could be a dangerous and damaging place for a gifted kid when they get to be the top half percent or more extreme. The school thought that there was something wrong with him, so I believed them.

Also, some kids get to school and are so obviously advanced, that the parent doesn't have to fight that much. Lots of it depends on the child's personality. I think it's great that you'll be doing the EPGY at home.

Have you actually spent time observing in the various possible kindergarden classes? I know it's a risk, but if you phrase it as "I'd like to see for myself how my son's maturity level would be in a K classroom" as if you are thinking of Redshirting, perhaps it would not be a problem politically?

Best Wishes,
    Trinity

Grinity #2707 05/30/07 12:15 PM
    acs Offline
    Obviously, kindergarten and public school can go very badly for a highly gifted child. And you will need to be aware of that possilibity, but it can be a good experience.

I would like to be the voice of hope because it does not always go badly. We were extremely fortunate to have a fabulous kinder teacher when my son started school. By the second week, she had him signed up for the accelerated reading program, tested him on the STAR TEST and was taking him down to the library to check out 4th and 5th grade books. She gave him his own math notebook and assigned him problems that dealt with higher math concepts (prime numbers for example). She loved having a student who understood her jokes and made good ones of his own.

They had a special bond and still do. This year, in fifth grade, she invited him to be her aid for the last half hour each day, when his teacher needed to do remdiation with the kids in her class were behind. He was given the choice of working independently on his literature projects in 5ht grade or going to help in kindergarten and he jumped at the chance to help in kindergarten. I know we have been very lucky and many teachers are not like this, but we are in a pretty poor, small town district with a pitiful little gifted program. And then out of the blue we have these fabulous teachers. Who would have thought it possible?

So I guess my advice would be to keep an open mind and not assume either that everything will be fine or that it will necessarily go badly. We did visit the spring before and it made a difference. In fact the other kindergarten teacher (the one we did not pick) refused to let us visit and at that point we knew we would not request her. When I saw the teacher (the one we picked) at work, we knew she was a gem! We went into the fall feeling like we had done a good thing and we were right.

Grinity #2709 05/31/07 05:23 AM
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Trinity
    Also, some kids get to school and are so obviously advanced, that the parent doesn't have to fight that much. Lots of it depends on the child's personality. I think it's great that you'll be doing the EPGY at home.

Trinity

ACS - I'm so glad you posted here! I was thinking of you when I talked about kids who impress teachers. ((smile))
    I think it's interesting that you did observe the various K teachers.

Thanks,
    Trinity

Grinity #2722 06/04/07 11:43 AM
    N
    N
    I just learned of this board from a friend and Gifted Resource Teacher who suggested I read some posts after I sobbed in her office one day. I've read much I recognize already. I'm struggling with daycare/preschool options for a 2.5 year old. He appears to be gifted in many ways, but his developement is quite uneven. Each time he has a cognitive leap, we see a series of emotional storms. This has led to teachers throwing out labels such as ODD and concerns about his emotional growth. I'm wondering if other parents have experienced the same? Right now I am emotionally drained from advocating for and defending his needs for independence and creativity. He loves stories and loves to pick out letters and sounds but hates to participate in "circle time." He screams if he's asked to transition to another activity if he hasn't finished what he's engrossed in doing. I'd love to have some support on how to find the best fit for him and how to stay joyous about his creative gifts. smile

Cathy A #2759 06/13/07 09:31 AM
    Originally Posted by Trinity
    I noticed a lot or new names that have joined recently. What Gifted Issues are you facing? How did you find this forum? What do you want to hear more about?

Welcome,
    Trinity

I'm Jen. Live in Texas. Writer and SAHM. My daughter, 8 (Nov.) qualified for GT at 7 yrs using acheievement tests (COGAT) and ITBS (Iowa I think it is). My son, 5 (6 in July) qualified for GT at 5 yrs 5 months taking the exact same tests as his older sister. These tests do not give us IQ and we haven't done further testing, yet. [We REALLY try not to compare but its been really difficult with basically no peers at their school; the closest one is a girl with significant socialization issues (possible Aspher's).]

One year after qualifying for GT, my DD was diagnosed as dyslexic, though my research says it's dyspraxia. She can read at 6th grade level, comprehend at 9th grade, but can't write or spell above 1st grade. The classroom teacher, language tester were both floored at her tests: "We've never seen anyone like this and honestly, aren't quite sure how to handle it."

My son has only been in school 180 days in his short lifetime and we'd been dreading those days since he was 8 months. You know how you can just tell their personality, especially the strong ones? He was 1 yr and the family saying was, "he's so intelligent and so charming, he'll either be a great leader or leader of a cult. *Use your powers for good, Luke* Hee Hee

We knew DS had mastered all "required" K material before stepping in the school but fear of being labeled "pushy" held us back. Then finally when the GT teacher tested him people believed us. She sat there glowing about him: "He did this thing; I've never had a student do this at any age. He'd explain to me each and every step as he was answering the question and WHY he was answering it that way. It was exhausting. I'm not sure what to do with him, as we've never had a Kindergartener qualify before."

Can you see our common issue between two VERY different children? The school has verbally admitting WE DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH THEM. So, I'm spending my summer researching so I can TELL THEM WHAT TO DO with my children. Sorry, I just have NO ONE to talk to about my concerns; even another GT parent has told me: "You only want to test him more so you/your husband can brag about how smart he is. WE focus on teaching our daughter to be a good, kind person" (implying that we don't)

And THIS is someone I trusted with my most private frustrations (how he started having toilet accidents mid-year b/c he was so upset, bored, whatever in K); how he's smarter than me and weaves his way around my rules until I'm dizzy, how much guilt I feel everytime I waste an afternoon letting them both veg on TV.

Look forward to reading, sharing, and hoping for good things with you all.

JR.I'm neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I'm only very, very curious.-Einstein
    Grinity #2765 06/13/07 01:25 PM
    Hello! I found this forum via the last Genius Denied newsletter. Knowing what my child needs is my ongoing issue. Not many understand my DS. Not sure I understand nor provide "best" but I try. Having experienced and learned much over elementary years has taught me to start asking questions early .... but not certain I have it right.

I love to hear about the success other have found, great but especially the small every day joy and amazing insights that come "from the mouth (and minds) of babes"

Regards, Maryann

Jen R #2785 06/26/07 09:24 AM
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Jen R
    I'm Jen. Live in Texas. Writer and SAHM. My daughter, 8 (Nov.) qualified for GT at 7 yrs using acheievement tests (COGAT) and ITBS (Iowa I think it is). My son, 5 (6 in July) qualified for GT at 5 yrs 5 months taking the exact same tests as his older sister. These tests do not give us IQ and we haven't done further testing, yet.

Texas is an interesting state. I believe that they will provide K12 homeschooling curriculum to any homeschooling family who wants it. They will also provide a grade skip to anyone who can pass their draconian tests. I would reccomend asking, in writing, that your son get thoses tests now, while in the lower grades. Have you connected with the state gifted association? Even if you don't homeschool, try connecting with other homeschooling parents on the idea that the most extreame kids are going to be disproportionatly represented in the homeschooling bunch. Lots of what you are asking will be told to you by the IQ tester you hire - the point isn't to have a number, the point is to get guidance for you and the school as to what "might" work.

One year after qualifying for GT, my DD was diagnosed as dyslexic, though my research says it's dyspraxia. She can read at 6th grade level, comprehend at 9th grade, but can't write or spell above 1st grade. The classroom teacher, language tester were both floored at her tests: "We've never seen anyone like this and honestly, aren't quite sure how to handle it."

Here's the story. The more you do, the less ownership the school takes. Request an IEP, again in physical hard copy, if that hasn't happend yet. They are responsible for her education. Keep reminding them or pull her out and homeschool. They have a state education board and professionals that they turn to, so play dumb and ask them, "Isn't there someone on a state level who supports schools when they don't know what to do?" Asking for them to put in writing that they can not met her educational needs may also help spur things forward, obviously this can be confrontational, so be sure to smile, act like they are your best friends, and continue to play dumb. "Of course your motto is: "Educate every child" so of couse you would want to help move things forward by giving me a little note that says what you just told me, dear.

Who knows? The state may end up paying a private tutor to come to your house and do school that way. I've never heard of it, but yes, they do have a responsibility to provide for kids with disibilities. Its a law. Your job is to be aware of your kids strengths and keep asking questions until they, at the very least, provide gradeskips for your son, and special ed. services for your daughter that also challenges her strengths.

My son has only been in school 180 days in his short lifetime and we'd been dreading those days since he was 8 months. You know how you can just tell their personality, especially the strong ones? He was 1 yr and the family saying was, "he's so intelligent and so charming, he'll either be a great leader or leader of a cult. *Use your powers for good, Luke* Hee Hee
    I do know exactly the type of personality you discribe. Yes, personality has a lot to do with school fit.

We knew DS had mastered all "required" K material before stepping in the school but fear of being labeled "pushy" held us back. Then finally when the GT teacher tested him people believed us. She sat there glowing about him: "He did this thing; I've never had a student do this at any age. He'd explain to me each and every step as he was answering the question and WHY he was answering it that way. It was exhausting. I'm not sure what to do with him, as we've never had a Kindergartener qualify before."
    Well, the first step in making a change is to admit our mistakes. Of course we don't want to look like pushy parents. I think that how we act matters a lot more than what we actually do. All that smiling and listening and nodding really helps. "Getting to yes" is a very good book on negotiation, in general.
    There is a Davidson service called http://www.educatorsguild.org/
    for schools. I would suggest that the school personel get in touch with them right away, because "of course" we know that you are committed to learning new things when the old things don't apply.

Can you see our common issue between two VERY different children? The school has verbally admitting WE DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH THEM. So, I'm spending my summer researching so I can TELL THEM WHAT TO DO with my children.
    If you are in a position to spend the money on testing privatly, I would suggest that you put that on the summer agenda, start with DS if you have to stagger it, as his problems may not be mandated to be served by the school, and are possibly easily solved (by acceleration) in the short term. Read -
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/0910707553...7553&creative=373489&camp=211189
    for more info. Also at http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/iowa_accel_scale.htm

Another book you will find very helpful is -
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/0910707464...7464&creative=373489&camp=211189

Re-Forming Gifted Education: How Parents and Teachers Can Match the Program to the Child (Paperback)
    by Karen B. Rogers
    Book Description
    This book is a real eye-opener for educators and parents unfamiliar with the full body of research in the field of curriculum for gifted education. Many current programs for gifted students are not adequate. Other programs do not fit the needs of particular gifted children. Rogers uses a solid base to explain to parents and educators what is needed in both cases. Various types of acceleration and enrichment, as well as grouping practices, are examined. For each educational option, Rogers delineates what the current research says about the benefit or lack of benefit to gifted children.
    Features:
    * A sample inventory to determine strengths and weaknesses.
    * Designing an educational plan to fit a child's academic and social needs.
    * Explanations of current gifted education research.
    * Benefits of gifted educational options.
    * Recommendations for gifted education curriculum.

About the Author
    Dr. Rogers is Professor in the Curriculum and Instruction Department at the University of St. Thomas, in St. Paul, MN. She has published over 80 articles on curriculum for gifted students. Her paper for the National Research Center on Gifted and Talented has been read by over 500,000 people worldwide.

Sorry, I just have NO ONE to talk to about my concerns; even another GT parent has told me: "You only want to test him more so you/your husband can brag about how smart he is. WE focus on teaching our daughter to be a good, kind person" (implying that we don't)

OUCH! Yeah, we see this. My Sister in Law asked me, after attending a lecture on gifted ed together - "You spend a lot more time on this than I do. Is it that you kid is so much more gifted than mine, or just that I'm a lousy Mother?"
    Way back then I was so naive. I talked about "school fit" and that it isn't about how gifted that child is, it's about meeting that child's learning needs. Now I would say - "Honey, could you please rephrase the question? What is it you are trying to find out?"

And THIS is someone I trusted with my most private frustrations (how he started having toilet accidents mid-year b/c he was so upset, bored, whatever in K);

Ouch. ((hugs))

how he's smarter than me and weaves his way around my rules until I'm dizzy,

Read Sylvia Rimm. this doesn't have to happen! Don't let it continue! But yes, I have BTDT.

how much guilt I feel everytime I waste an afternoon letting them both veg on TV.

((shrug)) My guess is that you have some perfectionistic tendencies also? Time to wake up, give credit and blame where it is due, and start to show by example that how a person can possibly live in a wonderful but imperfect world. This may not make sense yet, but it will. You can not afford to lie to yourself that you are 100% in charge of the outcomes of your children. Yes you are powerful, but .....

So welcome to the forum. Keep us posted. We care, and won't get an attitude.

BTW, you may have noticed that spelling is a problem for me. So is my handwriting. But with typing and spell check, mostly no one knows. Except here, where, if there is spell check, I can't find it. I promise you that I have a good job and a good life, although there were some confusions along the way. HTH ((wink))

Love and More Love,
    Trinity

frostcry #2800 07/02/07 12:37 PM
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    So, I noticed a lot of new names that have joined recently.
    What Gifted Issues are you facing?
    How did you find this forum?
    What do you want to hear more about?
    Are you in the process of applying to the Young Scholar's Program?

Welcome,
    Trinity

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent