Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by HelloBaby
    Originally Posted by ConnectingDots
    What does your DS have to say about it? Are you seeing any issues developing in him?

In general, he likes to blend in, which may not be good for him long-term. When he is not challenged, he gradually starts to act out.

It’s hard for me to foresee how my actions or inactions will affect a 6-year-old in the future, especially he does well in school.

It is, as you know, impossible to predict the future! We have found it helpful to research best practices for educating gifted children (based on evidence, wherever possible). In our son's case, we also saw the downside of inaction. In first grade, he was forced (there is no other good word) to sit quietly while the rest of the class learned what he already knew or had grasped very quickly. He became the class clown, was constantly in trouble and started hiding from me when it was time to go to school. So we knew we had to act. We now know, based on testing, how highly gifted he is and wish we had acted decisively at the beginning of that school year (we tried, were rejected by the principal, but should have pulled him from there posthaste).

I wouldn't say that we are obsessing over trying to get him to reach his full potential, but rather, that we are trying to balance things out so he has at least some learning that happens at school.

It is unfortunate that our school system is so focused on age, rather than letting children move through subjects as they master them. This forces us to do things that are against the norm or try to find another way to allow actual learning to take place (isn't it interesting that schools claim social over academic progress as their mantra?!). As an alternative example, my mother and her siblings attended a mixed-grade (K-8)rural school (as in one large room). They were able to progress based on mastery because the teacher was constantly grouping and regrouping students to cover different topics at their educational levels. That seems so much better.

M
    M
    I have read such helpful and informative things. I'm so glad I made this post. I'm not sure where we're going to wind up but I feel better prepared for what is ahead. I feel a lot less alone too!

I'm the first to admit that a big part of DS6's problem is that he is a negative child. Instead of making the best of things and enjoying what he can, he focuses on being bored and "hating" stuff. I have long known this and work on it with him, but it's a very uphill battle.

It doesn't help that he is almost pathologically shy and has a hard time with making friends and being in big groups of kids. One of the things I love about his school is how he socially grew from hiding in a corner to having good friends and feeling comfortable with all the kids. Our town is very high turnover and in most schools there are always a bunch of new kids, but in this school you are with the same 100 kids in your grade the whole way through, give or take a few that move away.

He has his formal testing scheduled for the week of August 17, so after that I plan to schedule a face to face meeting with the principal and the psychologist.

Addendum: Sorry, I somehow posted this in the wrong thread. I will add it in the proper thread.

Last edited by Marcy; 07/21/15 01:54 PM.
    LAF Offline
    I have no idea if this is a good book or not, but one that has been on my reading list for a while this one -my daughter can be quite negative as well - but maybe you have already read it... is http://www.amazon.com/The-Optimistic-Child-Depression-Resilience/dp/0618918094

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM