Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 106 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by eco21268
    That is a good idea, and I'd prefer it, but have to pay upfront for six sessions.

Actually, I think that works to your advantage. Six sessions is enough that one bad experience won't necessarily torpedo the whole experience, it's enough that your DS will probably have to give it a legit shot, but it's short enough that your DS can see the light at the end of the tunnel if he really, really hates it.

We've found this sort of thing to be helpful in other ways for our DD, except that these were all in activities that she originally asked for, then wanted to quit. If we paid for the full session, she finished the session. It helped us undermine her perfectionism, because now she had to keep trying, and found success. It also taught her about perseverance and honoring commitments, because in some cases (drama, soccer) others were depending on her to fill her role.

And what often happened is that, after the initial crisis had passed, and she finished the session... she wanted to do it again.

So, "I have already paid for six sessions, at the end of those six sessions, we'll discuss how it's going and decide whether or not to continue" is an approach I would recommend.

E
    OP Offline
    E
    There are a lot of good wisdom-bytes here, thank you so much for responding.

Originally Posted by suevv
    She was something special - frank, informed, and soon to leave the area! She had him spend an hour in their social skills playgroup, but I think it was just pro forma - and it was an unmitigated disaster. DS stood in the corner like a deer in the headlights, crying his eyes out. Afterwards, the psychologist explained that these play groups are designed for kids who CAN, but don't yet know how to ... [insert desired behavior]. She explained that DS was not in a developmental place where he COULD [insert desired behavior]. In her opinion, the social skills group would therefore do him more harm than good.

We never went back. Over time, he is developing social skills, and I think they are on a time table commensurate with his brain development. I don't know if this is applicable to OP's child. But I don't think we should ever forget that social skills "classes" are likely to be as bad a fit as any other class for our sweet kiddos. They aren't designed for, and do not address the special needs of the PG child.

YMMV,
    Sue
    I worry it could be harmful vs. helpful, especially if he doesn't want to do it. DS is not PG but he is HG/2E and experiences the world uniquely.

Originally Posted by Flyingmouse
    My DYS 9 attended one this year and I think that it was helpful. The part that seemed most helpful to him was the focus on learning self-regulation. He's an intense kid and it's been useful for us to have language to use when he is getting out of control. The other kids in his group had a variety of different issues: ADHD, severe anxiety, etc. I'm guessing that every kid found at least part of the curriculum to be useful. They covered things like how to deal with bullies, what to do when kids don't want to play with you, how to have a reciprocal conversation with peers, etc. The trick is finding the right type of social skills group that will work for your kid. For the OP, I'd talk to the leaders of the group. I'm guessing that they have experience with 12-year-olds not wanting to attend! FWIW, the instructors of my son's group worked hard to make it fun.
    I do think it could be very helpful for DS, especially if the group is like you describe. I don't *know* though. It could be a bunch of kids with conduct issues, and that's not what we are dealing with. At least not yet. Sure don't want to force him into a corner--he is manageable at this point if approached correctly.

Originally Posted by Dude
    [quote=eco21268]T
    Actually, I think that works to your advantage. Six sessions is enough that one bad experience won't necessarily torpedo the whole experience, it's enough that your DS will probably have to give it a legit shot, but it's short enough that your DS can see the light at the end of the tunnel if he really, really hates it.

We've found this sort of thing to be helpful in other ways for our DD, except that these were all in activities that she originally asked for, then wanted to quit. If we paid for the full session, she finished the session. It helped us undermine her perfectionism, because now she had to keep trying, and found success. It also taught her about perseverance and honoring commitments, because in some cases (drama, soccer) others were depending on her to fill her role.

And what often happened is that, after the initial crisis had passed, and she finished the session... she wanted to do it again.

So, "I have already paid for six sessions, at the end of those six sessions, we'll discuss how it's going and decide whether or not to continue" is an approach I would recommend.
    This would be my approach, too, for things DS has opted to do...it's just...sticky.

I feel like he needs to buy-in for it to have a chance of helping.

I feel uncertain about the group itself (appropriateness).

I feel like he is currently somewhat delicate, and needs to feel above-all that I have his back and he isn't being punished for having neurological differences, and that I respect his perspective(s) on things.

I also am questioning my primary motivation (having something to bring to the table at school) since so far it seems that *I* have been the only one willing to provide services to DS. Expensive and also not the way it needs to be.

I told him that we will try Option B for now...get a book or two and read/discuss together. He was much more enthusiastic about that approach. He said, "but none of this was a problem before last year!" True to a certain extent, not entirely, obviously.

There is another group that will begin in fall, that I know a lot more about...it's run by a therapist with expertise in ASD and he is careful about putting appropriate participants together. So that seems like a reasonable alternative to plans A and B.

DS is fiercely protective of what he calls "his TIME" (needs lots of free time alone) and so I guess for now I'll do my best to accommodate his wishes.

Parenting 2E kids--not for wimps! That is my new mantra. smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...