Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    R
    ruazkaz Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Thanks very much for the comments/suggestions. I will follow up on all of them and discuss with wife and son. It is easiest for us to stay where we are but if he continues progressing in math as he has the past few years I believe it might be better to try and go elsewhere.

B
    B
    Are there state flagship universities that allow qualified high school students to take courses and earn high school and college credit at the same time? Some high school students do this through dual enrollment at community colleges, but community colleges usually don't attract the best students. I'd consider moving to say Ann Arbor, Michigan or Madison, Wisconsin if my child could take classes at the universities there.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    I'd consider moving to say Ann Arbor, Michigan or Madison, Wisconsin if my child could take classes at the universities there.

Suburbs of Berkeley are also a possibility for this. I took classes there for two years while I was in high school.

M
    M
    Massachusetts has a number of excellent public schools as well.

O
    O
    Originally Posted by Val
    Middle College is usually advertised as being for "at risk" students, but when we dug into our program (well, scratched the surface of that statement), it turned out that "at risk" was defined in many ways, including, "going through the motions high school and at risk in spite of having high grades," and "not desirous of a traditional high school experience."

It wouldn't be unusual in public school jargon for the term "At risk" to be used in this manner. "At risk" can mean at risk of a lot of different detrimental outcomes or challenges.....at risk of suicide / depression, at risk of becoming educationally disconnected, at risk of dropping out, at risk of harming oneself or other, and on and on. As most in this forum are aware, such behaviors includes very high intellect students if not having a higher risk than average.

The Davidson Academy has its own basketball team, but no other sports at the school. However, students interested in sports are allowed to participate on teams at their zoned school, and quite a few do this.

When the students run out of classes at the DA they go to classes at UNR, which means it is really hard for them to top out in any subject area. These classes are free for the students as well.

We moved from Florida for it and have been very happy with our decision. PM me if you want more details.

P
    P
    There is one option in Winston-Salem, NC that might (or might not) meet your criteria. We have a few years before we decide on a HS, but I've heard some good reviews from those who have chosen Atkins here. It does have both sports you mentioned (although they don't win a lot of sports awards). It is not in the league of some of the schools mentioned across the country, but the school is primarily for Gifted Kids and offers some great Science and Technology options. Enrollment has been low (only about 350-400 kids when capacity is more like 1100). That is because it is located in the far eastern side of the county and the majority of kids in the HAG Elementary and Middle School Inclusive Programs live in the western part of the county. The kids there must choose a STEM major and finish at least 4 courses within that major. I don't know where you are in NC, but you may want to take a look in case it might be an option prior to your move. Here is their website: http://www.wsfcs.k12.nc.us/Page/19792, for more info.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM