Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 293 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    S
    S
    I should mention (duh) my DS5, who probably would do poorly in a traditional K class, has trouble with sound-letter association (speech delay doesn't help), and fine motor problems, is a visual-spatial learner with auditory-sequential weaknesses, in addition to being very introverted (has basically no buddies except for his twin brother. His twin brother has several buddies). Also, he's quite small for his age. On the surface he'd seem like a classic case for redshirting, if it weren't for the fact that he's a grade level and a half, or more, ahead in math.

We have, temporarily at least, solved the problem that a traditional school structure wouldn't work for him - he's in a montessori school with a young upstart teacher who gets him and who is very flexible and open to new ideas, and he's doing great. (He has the same teacher/classroom for K as he had for preschool - 3 grade levels in each class. But the K is full day, whereas the preschool was half-day) He starts K in 11 days...
    smile

OP Offline
    Good luck snowgirl, hope k works out well.

I like the fact that you used a demure stature to your advantage in the courtroom, what a shark!

I've done the same sort of thing, snowgirl. Never underestimate the power of a petite, smart woman! Dynamite comes in small packages. <evil grin>

I've even been known to play dumb in order to lure people into a Socratic dialogue. Makes 'em nuts when they realize they've been had, sunk by their own logic (or lack thereof)!

Kriston
    OP Offline
    Never underestimate the power of a petite, smart woman! Dynamite comes in small packages. <evil grin>

WOOHOO! LMAO! I love it..........said the really tall woman!

Well, it can certainly come in tall packages, too! laugh

People just tend to underestimate those less frequently...

Kriston
    OP Offline
    I'm definately hard to miss. I often get this remark and often from people I hardly know:

"I wouldn't want to piss you off."

I need some scam to appear more non-assuming.

Maybe I'll pretend I don't speak or understand English.

Nah, we'll just call you "the Intimidator." laugh

And who are these people who say such rude things to you without even knowing you? Harumph!

Last edited by Kriston; 07/31/08 04:26 PM. Reason: Not that they should be rude after knowing you...That didn't exactly come out right...

Kriston
    OP Offline
    I'll actually take it as a compliment! I enjoy being thought of as someone not to be trifled with. It saves me a lot of time.

smile

S
    S
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    I've even been known to play dumb in order to lure people into a Socratic dialogue. Makes 'em nuts when they realize they've been had, sunk by their own logic (or lack thereof)!
    I have a very gifted friend who used to play dumb when she met guys (many years later, she's married to an intellectual equal. She's kinda high maintenance in that way so it's a good thing lol).

Another way to look at the redshirting issue: what man (since it's typically boys) would want to be in the same position in their career as they are now but be a year older than they are now?? (maybe even worse for a woman?) I don't know about everyone else, but I'm old enough already frown

I never played dumb with guys. If they wanted dumb, they didn't want me. It would have been a waste of time. I'm glad your friend found an equal, snowgirl! smile

I only played dumb someone with who wouldn't listen to reason, in order to snare him/her in my web of logic. :p

Kriston
    Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs