Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 333 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by Mr and Mrs P
    Originally Posted by Appleton
    Did the psychologist give you the numbers for the WJ test? I think superior is 120-129, very superior is 130+ and above average is 110 plus, so maybe the difference isn't that huge.

The WJ numbers are as follows:
    Broad Reading Skills - 131
    Basic Reading Skills - 127
    Reading Comprehension - 129

Math Comprehension Skills - 110
    Mathematics Reasonsing - 134
    Academic Fluency - 124

Does it make a difference in WJ if the child has a slower processing speed? DS definitely does.

I'm sorry to hear about the school's results. Have you asked the school for subset scores? That way you can compare IQ data to IQ data since the numbers you posted above are achievement scores not ability scores. The achievement scores you posted also seem to be in line with the WISC and not with the high average WJ cognitive score they gave you.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Polarbear - the WJ scores given were from the WJ achievement tests done by the psych last September. All I know from the school's test is that he scored 114 on the WJ Cognitive Abilities. I have asked the tester for a copy of his scores.

I don't know if this is germane to the topic, or just me being a mama lion protecting her cub; but the psych who tested DS last fall was one from Hoagies' list. The psych at the school is relatively young and mentioned during the testing that one of the tests she used was one she doesn't do often. I know they did more than the WJ, I just don't know WHAT more they did yet. DH and I honestly trust the evaluation of the private psych more than the evaluation of the school psych as I am fairly sure she does not deal with the gifted testing all that often.

I would assume we can only compare the WISC IV to the WJ Cognitive Ability test for an apples to apples comparison.

I appreciate everyone's help. I know we are going to appeal this, but I want to be sure we have looked at EVERYTHING before we do. And I think I need to get a certain amount of emotion under control before appealing! (From Emotion to Advocacy, anyone!)

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    I am hoping aeh will see this and let us know if there is in fact a difference in how the scores are distributed smile

polarbear

Me, too!

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Another quick question,,,,he was only at the school for the testing for 90 minutes max....when the private psychologist tested him, he was there for nearly 6 hours one day, then they asked us to bring him back another day for another 90 minutes of testing. Does the length of time mean anything?

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Sorry, I've been busy this weekend!

The WJ-III GIA is heavily influenced by processing speed, even more so, in my experience, than the WISC-IV. In addition, if the whole school eval only took 90 minutes, and the WJ was not the only test given, I would wonder if the whole WJ cog was administered, or if only the abbreviated version (BIA) was. That's a three-subtest form with one verbal, one fluid reasoning, and one processing speed subtest, that takes about 15 minutes. Obviously, processing speed has an even greater impact in that case. I do see that the Academic fluency cluster is good, so it's not clear how much of an impact processing or fine motor speed has.

This will be easier to discuss when you have precise test info, of course!

Bottom line, though, it is likely that the first eval is more accurate. It's certainly more consistent with the achievement data. His math computations aren't very high, though (relatively). Does he seem slower than expected with math facts?

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Oh, and no, there is not a difference in the mean and standard deviation. They're both 100 and 15. The qualitative descriptions are somewhat different, though, and additionally differ by the clinician. We're probably best off comparing the standard score ranges.

Last edited by aeh; 06/06/15 09:40 PM.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    aeh - thank you so much for the response!

As far as the math computations -- the original evaluation stated that the issue on the math computations was that his score decreased when a time factor was added.

I am hoping to get the precise test data this week, and will post what I get.

Thanks again!

C
    C
    My son had a drop in WJ IV scores. It was fairly dramatic- the neuropsych was testing for ADHD. He said that my son was very distracted during certain portions of the test. Because of the age norms, my DS had to go further on the test this time to achieve such high scores. The reading and writing and even some of the math pushed his ability to remain focused and careful.

Even a year made a difference on achievement tests. We saw a similar result on his school standardized test. DS was able to explain what was going on in the room during the test, but the test itself did not garner much attention.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Mr and Mrs P
    [quote=Appleton]Did the psychologist give you the numbers for the WJ test? I think superior is 120-129, very superior is 130+ and above average is 110 plus, so maybe the difference isn't that huge. [

The WJ numbers are as follows:
    Broad Reading Skills - 131
    Basic Reading Skills - 127
    Reading Comprehension - 129

Math Comprehension Skills - 110
    Mathematics Reasonsing - 134
    Academic Fluency - 124

These numbers were from the private psychologist, not the school psychologist. I have requested all of the test scores from the school psychologist, but do not have them yet.

Does it make a difference in WJ if the child has a slower processing speed? DS definitely does.

Those results are for the WJ achievement not cognitive.

My kids took about 90 minutes to 2 hours to do the WJiii cognitive but it wouldn't take as long if they stopped at questions that gave a score of 114. Can you get the scores sheet so you can check the WM and PS results?

Last edited by puffin; 06/07/15 01:26 PM.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    When you have more detailed assessment data, the next questions will be

1. WISC-IV (old): what was the PSI, especially Coding?
    2. WJ-IIIACH (old): how did he do on reading fluency, math fluency, and writing fluency (the Academic Fluency cluster)?
    3. WJ-IIICOG (new): how many subtests were actually administered? Was this a GIA-standard, GIA-extended, or BIA? Additional questions depending on these answers. Any commentary on test observations?
    4. Other testing (new): what was given, and why? Other questions will depend on these answers.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM