Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #217765 06/05/15 10:37 AM
    OP Offline
    I have a ds14 who is entering hs in the fall, we had a full evaluation done by a private neuropsych. He is gifted + adhd inattentive type + some aspects of aspbergers appear to be present.

We were initially told go for a 504, for better protections; the school is talking about an iep in case he needs coverage for special ed. I need to read up on this, wondering if there is a good thread already started on this subject:
    IEP vs 504?

Anyone have any experiences with both?
    If the IEP is a state or county level protection, will it differ greatly from county to county?

Is an established IEP better or worse to show to SAT for accommodations (like xtra time)?

and so on...

thank you!!

E
    E
    A 504 plan does not grant better protections than an IEP, and whoever told you it did was talking out of their butt. The one advantage that a 504 plan has is that it can follow your DS to college. But he also should be able to get a transitional 504 plan in place during his senior year that should seamlessly transfer to the college environment.

I would start here: http://www.wrightslaw.com/blog/?p=122

I
    I
    Originally Posted by chris1234
    SAT for accommodations (like xtra time)?
    Here is a recent thread about receiving the accommodation of extra time for SAT: I'm flabergasted!

OP Offline
    thank you both!!

P
    P
    We were initially told go for a 504, for better protections; the school is talking about an iep in case he needs coverage for special ed. I need to read up on this, wondering if there is a good thread already started on this subject: IEP vs 504?

I would recommend the IEP if you can get it. Accommodations are included as a part of the IEP document/plan, and the IEP will include *more* than a 504 can in terms of services/etc from the school. There are key differences between an IEP and a 504 plan - I will try to explain it, but it's possible someone else will be better able to explain it clearly. I'll also add that reading up at www.wrightslaw.org is a great place to start (and refer back to lol!). A 504 provides a document and a plan that outlines how access to FAPE (free appropriate public education) will be provided for a student who has a disability that requires accommodations not routinely already provided to all students within the school. A student who needs eyeglasses to see has what is technically considered a "disability" but they do not need a 504 plan, because schools routinely allow students to wear eyeglasses during class. A student who has to type to show their knowledge, however, may need a 504 plan to document their right to use a keyboard during class or on tests etc. because not all students routinely use keyboards and in some instances, some teachers may specifically require handwriting for students who are able to use handwriting to show their knowledge. A 504 does *not* include individualized instruction/goals or modifications to instruction/classroom work/etc, which an IEP can include.

I am not sure exactly how to explain it but in general, an IEP is a stronger document to have. When you leave the IEP program (either because it's no longer needed or because a student is graduating high school), it's relatively straight-forward to move the accommodations being used to a 504 plan.

Our ds has had both an IEP and a 504 plan (not at the same time - his 504 accommodations were a part of his IEP plan at the time).

If the IEP is a state or county level protection, will it differ greatly from county to county?

The individual IEP is put together by a team that meets at the school - this team is usually made up of parents/teachers/one school rep/SPED rep at the school/possibly a district SPED rep/and OT/SLP/as needed from school district + any professionals parents want to call in to participate in a team meeting. The decisions re what goes into each student's IEP are determined by that student's IEP team. The laws that put IEPs into place and define what they are/aren't are *Federal* laws in the US. Each state will have a SPED policy outline that the school districts within the state follow in order to be in compliance with IDEA (the Federal statute), and each school district may add to that policy but can't violate the state policy in establishing their own SPED policy.

Is an established IEP better or worse to show to SAT for accommodations (like xtra time)?

I believe it's irrelevant. The important things to have when applying for SAT/ACT accommodations are documentation showing a history of using the same accommodations you are asking for, and documentation of diagnosis plus documentation showing the "current" (3-5 years out) status of the impact of the disability. Both a 504 and an IEP can show a record of accommodations. The key for SAT/ACT (and state testing) accommodations is that the same accommodations you request for testing must also be used for classroom/etc testing - you can't request something extra for standardized/state/SAT/ACT that a student doesn't need as a routine accommodation.

I'd definitely follow through with the IEP if that's what your school recommends. The one downside to the IEP (and this is something you can prevent from happening if you are mindful of it) is that sometimes (in our school district), high school students who are on IEPs are required to take a study hall at the end of the day, where a SPED staff person will help the students with organization skills etc and the students can get a head start on homework or help if they need it. This typically doesn't work well for gifted students who might not need/want the extra study hall or who have other classes they need to take and would lose out by giving up an elective class.

Best wishes,

polarbear

Last edited by polarbear; 06/05/15 03:00 PM.
    B
    B
    We were initially told go for a 504, for better protections; the school is talking about an iep in case he needs coverage for special ed. I need to read up on this, wondering if there is a good thread already started on this subject:
    IEP vs 504?

The way it was explained to me. I have a DD who had an IEP for most of her K-12 education and my DS just got a 504 this past summer.

504 is for getting accommodations.
    IEP: will do everything a 504 will PLUS address remediation.

504 is good for kids with physical disabilities, ASP, ADHD.
    IEP for anything that needs "MORE" particularly LD (Learning Difficulties)

If school wants to give you an IEP over a 504 I would take it. It usually requires more documentation and is usually harder to get. It's allows for complex requests such as special ed. They aren't that different but a IEP will give you more room for how accommodations are implemented.

Last edited by bluemagic; 06/05/15 03:14 PM.
    OP Offline
    This is interesting, I am reading wrightslaw off and on. I guess the person who is recommended the 504 over iep is concerned that my son not be put into remedial courses due to his general giftedness. I guess he has seen that happen; a course that is sold to a parent as 'smaller' and therefore better could actually be smaller because it is a class with remedial material.
    So asking lots of questions is what we'll be doing.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    An IEP does not require a specific placement. It is individualized, after all. Sometimes the very small class can be used to advance academics--since most of the students are doing different things anyway.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    OP Offline
    Aeh -- thank you, that is an interesting idea, but one that would require more trust than I might currently have...

I am just very cautious with the school since we have been talking off and on with them about what ds needs for about 8 years, and have yet to get it right. (thus a few years homeschooling in that 8 years, for a needed break).

B
    B
    There is nothing in an IEP that implies placement in special remedial classes. My DD has an IEP for most of her public school years and was always in regular classes. The only time I had a problem with this as freshman year of H.S. where they insisted DD needed to take a special study's skills class that ended up being useless.

My son had a gifted IEP at one point for placement in the gifted classroom.

You don't need to sign a IEP if you don't like what is written in it. It's supposed to be an agreement between you & the school. And if you think the school is trying you on, bring someone to the meeting who can help advocate with you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM