Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 421 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Old Dad #218702 06/24/15 06:01 AM
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by Old Dad
    Originally Posted by ChaosMitten
    Exodus 21:7

If a man sells his daughter as a female slave, she is not to go free as the male slaves do.

This relates to teaching your children about money in what way? You'll have to educate me on this, I'm missing the point.
    I think it was off-topic, but presumably the point being raised is whether the presence of morally objectionable passages in a book (or more broadly, teachings in a religion) means that the religion or its book have nothing to say to us.

Bostonian #218705 06/24/15 06:25 AM
    O
    O
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    I think it was off-topic, but presumably the point being raised is whether the presence of morally objectionable passages in a book (or more broadly, teachings in a religion) means that the religion or its book have nothing to say to us.

Thank you for your interpretation Bostonian.
    I think a couple of points important to realize here...

My prior post started with the following sentence...
    (quote)
    "If one takes stock in the Bible, perhaps using it to educate their children.....
    (End quote)

I realize not all believe the Bible to be God's word or even that God exists, the post was written for those who do as evidenced by my opening statement.

Secondly, the passage quoted (Exodus 21:7) should be read in context with understanding of the events surrounding it's speaking and also understanding that slavery of the time was not slavery as we frequently refer to it in modern day. Slavery of the time was most often closer to an endentured servant.

If one feels that religion has nothing important to say to us about morality, they'd probably best understand that the basis of the majority of laws in modern society are taken from Judeo-Christian laws.

Bostonian #218706 06/24/15 06:29 AM

If a man sells his daughter as a female slave, she is not to go free as the male slaves do.

This relates to teaching your children about money in what way? You'll have to educate me on this, I'm missing the point.

It's a financial transaction.

However, based on my clients, the current issue with sale tends to be for underage marriage, where you need parental consent to get married.

So, the potential husband and the mother of the underage girl may enter into negotiations, such that, for example, the man offers payment to the mother for her signature on the consent form.

Bostonian #218709 06/24/15 06:44 AM
    I
    I

I also do not see the connection between this passage and the topic at hand.

That said, it is my understanding that the passage refers to laws and culture of the tribes being addressed, in which male "slaves" were indentured servants learning a skill or trade (akin to modern day internship), and went "free" in the seventh year.

Old Dad #218711 06/24/15 06:53 AM
    I
    I

(quote)
    "If one takes stock in the Bible, perhaps using it to educate their children.....
    (End quote)

I realize not all believe the Bible to be God's word or even that God exists, the post was written for those who do as evidenced by my opening statement.

Secondly, the passage quoted (Exodus 21:7) should be read in context with understanding of the events surrounding it's speaking and also understanding that slavery of the time was not slavery as we frequently refer to it in modern day. Slavery of the time was most often closer to an endentured servant.

If one feels that religion has nothing important to say to us about morality, they'd probably best understand that the basis of the majority of laws in modern society are taken from Judeo-Christian laws.
    I agree this post and passages are apt.

In considering Bostonian's point, most modern day contracts contain a severability clause. Some may say a similar thought may apply to ancient texts: if part does not stand or is no longer applicable, the entire work is not negated.

There are many theories of personal finance, and it may be beneficial to be familiar with a wide variety of views on the subject.

Old Dad #218714 06/24/15 07:24 AM
    C
    C

It involves kids and money, whereas your quotes only involved money. I'll leave you to interpret it as you see fit, since you seem to be experienced in such matters.

Here's another one, since JonLaw brought up marriage contracts (my previous quote didn't cover marriage, just traditional slavery):

Deuteronomy 22:28-29

28 If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, 29 he shall pay her father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.

Old Dad #218715 06/24/15 07:30 AM
    C
    C

(quote)
    (End quote)

It's interesting for you to be claiming moral superiority while simultaneously saying "this flavor of slavery wasn't that bad," and also completely ignoring the fact that the quote provided guidance on selling one's daughter into permanent (i.e. not "endentured" [sic]) slavery.

Last edited by ChaosMitten; 06/24/15 07:31 AM.
    O
    O
    I think it's also important to be familiar with statistics about such things as credit card debt, college loan debt, and market reasearch on job availability in the field of study a student wishes to pursue, as well as divorce rates of people who are in various stages of debt (Money fights are listed as the #1 predictor for divorce)

C
    C
    Financial leverage is a kind of like fire - it isn't good or bad, just something that can both burn you or help you get a tasty steak. I am in the Old Dad camp with regards to debt, but this is only partly rational. Some of us are temperamentally unsuited to the stress of being debtors.

cmguy #218718 06/24/15 08:02 AM
    Originally Posted by cmguy
    Financial leverage is a kind of like fire - it isn't good or bad, just something that can both burn you or help you get a tasty steak. I am in the Old Dad camp with regards to debt, but this is only partly rational. Some of us are temperamentally unsuited to the stress of being debtors.

Oh, I'm not saying I agree with how "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" describes leverage, I'm only reporting on the difference. Whether we're talking about tulip bulbs, stocks, or houses, we've seen time and time again how the reckless use of leverage to acquire assets tends to end. Excessive limitation of leverage will restrict growth, excessive availability creates disaster, and as in most things, moderation is the only reasonable path.

From a household perspective, moderate use of credit promotes a rise in your credit rating, which makes debt far cheaper to acquire. This can mean huge savings when buying a home, or when you can't step back from the precipice and jump into $200k of college debt per child. A young person might start out on this journey by financing a car, and end up paying several thousand extra in financing fees, then use that debt to acquire credit cards (which get paid at the end of each month, costing $0), and finally translate that into a home loan (an appreciating asset that doubles as necessary shelter) that saves tens of thousands over the life of the loan due to superior credit.

Of course, you're not going to get wealthy this way. To get wealthy, you need to take big risks, preferably with somebody else's money.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM